Fuel Return Kits and NOT holding fuel pressure ... solved. - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Fuel Return Kits and NOT holding fuel pressure ... solved.

Ok , many people have posted about having to prime their car , hard starting , and also about their car not holding fuel pressure after installing an aftermarket fuel return kit. My mechanic , Chris Lubonski aka Guygettnby , has finally solved this problem.
First , the basics .....
My car started running like crap all of a sudden. It would stumble under mild accelleration , and every time I changed gears. At WOT it would sputter and detonate real bad. It also started suffering from the hard start syndrome , and i would often have to turn the key to start it three or four times.
Putting a data logger in my car showed my car running VERY rich at idle and light throttle ( 9:1 afr ) , and yet when I went WOT it would go as lean as 17:1 afr ...... WTF ? All this and NOT throwing a code ! After replacing the oxygen sensors and fuel pump , it was still running the same. We had already checked for vaccum / boost leaks , and also for any fuel leaks , and had found NONE. The aftermarket regulator was NOT bad , and was NOT leaking fuel back into my vaccuum lines. On my fuel pressure guage , I could prime the car , and immediately the pressure would go to 43 psi , but would drop to ZERO immediately .... I mean not even any needle creep down action , it would drop like a rock !
Chris then got under the car and asked me to prime it .... I did so and then looked at the guage and it was holding a steady 43 psi ...
He was pushing in and putting pressure on the FACTORY fuel pressure regulator that had been blocked off ..... It was leaking vaccuum around the seal to the tank , and the two O-rings inside. the O-rings were not damaged at all , but the regulator itself was pushing itself out of the tank , just enough to NOT allow the O-rings to seal inside properly , and it was leaking vaccuum.
There are plastic tabs that are supposed to hold the regulator tight in to the tank , but they do not hold it down tight enough. We repaired this by placing small steel spacers ( made from hammered flat nails ) between the spacers and the regulator , forcing the regulator to be pushed tighter in towards the tank.
My car now holds fuel pressure , and bleeds down VERY , VERY slowly after priming the pump by turning the key on. The car is now running perfectly again.
This is also going to be the key for a LOT of people suffering from hard starting syndrome.
HTH

Last edited by cp980fps; 02-26-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

This should be STICKIED !!

As many people there are , that are suffering from hard start and fuel pressure leak down after installing a FPR kit , this should be stickied .....

post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 10:09 AM
SRTforums Member

He's right, this should be stickied...

I can't believe how many guys have this problem and just don't say anything about it..... it's like erectile dysfunction !!!

ATP GT3071R Kit
- 421whp 403 wtq @ 23psi
- 452whp 423 wtq @ 26psi
Tuned by Aaron @ RealTune - SOLD !!!

2004 Volvo S60R - 6spd
2005 Audi A4 1.8T Avant - Stage 1+
post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 10:57 AM
SRTforums Member

Wow Good find. What about your afr's are they back in line?
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 11:23 AM
Premium Member (Lifetime)

it has been stuck

Tuned By Tony Palo
Some Vendors make claims of there parts holding or making XXXwhp. I say prove it
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Thank you ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty
it has been stuck
I hope that others will post follow ups here after checking to see if this is their problem also.

post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 01:43 PM
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Very interesting. I lost count on how many fuel kits over the years I have installed. I cant remember one problem like this. I think maybe its in the way you guys take the stock reg out and/or put them back in. It takes a little pressure to get them in and out, but maybe your damaging them while doing it. The tabs are there to hold them in, if you tweak them... I could see this problem occuring. Good find though man!!

www.shoprealtuned.com
Check us out on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/Realtuned
Please email us at Realtuned@yahoo.com as opposed to sending a PM
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

I'll be tuning this Friday ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdoggsrt4
Wow Good find. What about your afr's are they back in line?
However , I'm sure my AFRs will be found to be just fine ... The car runs way too well for them not to be. I'll definitely be re-tuning , since I've changed some things on my car , but the main problem that led to Chris finding this issue , has been repaired.

post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 01:44 PM
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Lifetime Premium Member
Your first sign should have been the bleed down of the pressure. If you prime it and it bleeds down very fast, you know there is a problem

www.shoprealtuned.com
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Yeah but ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronneon@RealTune
Your first sign should have been the bleed down of the pressure. If you prime it and it bleeds down very fast, you know there is a problem
We didn't notice my pressure was bleeding down , until after we had checked other things that could cause detonation. When running , my car's pressure was a steady pressure at the guage. Once we found that pressure was indeed leaking down ( this happened when Chris just happened to notice the pressure drop on the guage , right after I primed the car but hadn't turned it over yet ) , we looked at everything a person would expect to find wrong first .... Gas cap , fuel pump , pressure regulator , leaking fuel or vaccuum lines , ect .... the LAST thing you'd normally think of looking at would be the unused factory regulator.

Last edited by cp980fps; 02-26-2006 at 02:04 PM.
post #11 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp980fps
We didn't notice my pressure was bleeding down , until after we had checked other things that could cause detonation. When running , my car's pressure was a steady pressure at the guage. Once we found that pressure was indeed leaking down , we looked at everything a person would expect to find wrong first .... Gas cap , fuel pump , pressure regulator , leaking fuel or vaccuum lines , ect .... the LAST thing you'd normally think of looking at would be the unused factory regulator.

Yea I guess for the average person it would be hard to figure out what was going wrong. This is a good find for people having the problem though. Nice work

www.shoprealtuned.com
post #12 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Average ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronneon@RealTune
Yea I guess for the average person it would be hard to figure out what was going wrong. This is a good find for people having the problem though. Nice work
I'm not average !! You should know I'm far from average .... I'm hung like a Horsefly !!
Really , we couldn't see , smell , or hear ANY leaks at all ... Therefore it was the farthest thing from our minds. Once we DID realize there was a leak , we actually had to find an INVISIBLE leak at that .....

post #13 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp980fps
I'm not average !! You should know I'm far from average .... I'm hung like a Horsefly !!
Really , we couldn't see , smell , or hear ANY leaks at all ... Therefore it was the farthest thing from our minds. Once we DID realize there was a leak , we actually had to find an INVISIBLE leak at that .....

LOL. I meant for the average person who hasnt installed 8 gazzillion of them like I have. HAHA horsefly

www.shoprealtuned.com
post #14 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 09:19 PM
SRTforums Member

i have installed a bunch of return line kits.... the problem at hand was the fact that his car ran perfect for 8 months with no problem at all!! then all of a sudden after a snow storm his car began to act like he described. so obviously this was not a problem from installing the return line kit. if it was then why would his car run perfect for that long with no sign of any problems and then over night start doing this??

ok, so i guess i am average....
post #15 of 104 (permalink) Old 02-26-2006, 09:20 PM
SRTforums Member

glad u fixed it , but im still gana do the bottle neck fix, seems like a better way to fix the fuel issue's

06 Honda S2000 Rio Yellow Pearl - K&N FIPK II, HKS exhaust, Enkie RP-f1's gold
SOLD - 04 AEM EMS'd SRT
myspace.com/stevensachslaw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode