Dodge SRT Forum banner

Changed cam sensor, cracked head?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  s3*ps2 
#1 ·
Hey guys, 2004 model, just changed my cam sensor and magnet. Never had trouble with it (the sensor) until now. The car runs just fine but started throwing the CEL for the cam sensor. Is the cyl head a two-piece design at the sensor or do I have a cracked head? It looks like it's supposed to be like this because it is a straight cut but I would like to make sure. Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That cam magnet on stock cams can only go in one way so there is that. What you are seeing is the end intake cam cap, so it may not sit perfectly flush but generally it's pretty close. What code are you throwing exactly? Did you reset your ECU after the changes? Check the wiring that goes into the sensor - after all these years they can begin to short/break pretty easily with little movement.

#4 ·
@HMS4
That's what I needed to hear.
@ziggo0
The code was P0340 and it would not rev past 2500 RPMs. It was like the fuel cut out and the CEL light would come on in the dash. I could turn the car off then back on again a few seconds later and it would run fine for a few days. I just got tired of having to do that randomly. It's been doing it for about two weeks now. I did some research on the forums and everything I found came back to "change the sensor."

#6 ·
This. When it comes to that sensor and magnet. ONLY MOPAR will fix it for another 90k or so miles. I had a friend that went through 4 AutoZone sensors in 6 months. Then he just got his money back and went Mopar. He ahd no issues sense after that. Torque properly too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.