Dodge SRT Forum banner

Why I'm running 20psi on a stock turbo??

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  142578 
#1 ·
Bought this car a month ago from a guy...blah blah blah. Apparently it's got a build bottom end (confirmed from someone who knows the guy) and a tune. well It's been at 20 pounds since I got it on the stock turbo and wastegate (looks stock and old as hell). Should I get a boost controller and tune it down? I'm getting some lag in higher gears and I guess spark blowout in high speeds (loud pop and fuel cut, then returns to normal). Any incite would be great thanks!

#2 ·
Sounds like the turbo is being pushed past efficiency (without knowing your setup). Boost controllers are antiquated, you would be better off with a DSP U7134. Need 3bar MAP and TIP if you want to keep it that high, stock sensors are geared toward 18 psi. A normal setup will spike 15-17 and hold 11-13 and yield a fairly decent lifespan for the turbo. Without supporting mods at 20 psi you're blowing hot air.

#3 ·
There is no way a stock turbo can hold 20 psi. It can spike more than 20 psi but will stay around 16 at upper rpm´s. Get a Diablo predator, run a log looking for knock and check your AFR´s with a wide band. If no knock and AFR´s around 11´s, enjoy your car. No need for 3 bar map/tip sensors if you are not thinking to upgrade the turbo. However, if the turbo is a BW turbo, then you will need a tune.

#4 ·
Stock turbos have been running 20-22psi and doing it very well for over 10years.
All my Stock turbo tunes, All Diablo tunes and every Stage 2 tunes boost 20-22psi. No issues whatsoever. Over ~22-23psi is a waste of time, imo. I've even seen several idiots crank them up to 27-28psi with little if any gain.

SrtBob911, you could have a Stage 2 but more likely is that the kid probably left a Diablo tune flashed to the car but sold the Diablo tool.
3bars and a Rescale are highly recommended when boosting over 18psi. No boost controller is ever needed for a stock turbo. the PCM and a Diablo tool is all a stock turbo ever needs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.