squeaky belt pulley wheel - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Engine/Turbos/Ignition

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 75717
Default squeaky belt pulley wheel

So I have this annoying belt pulley wheel squeaking lately (pictured) and I don't know what to do about it. It usually happens when it is wet outside, seeing as i live in Oregon its wet 9months out of the year. im kinda concerned about it. It happens on occasion but once the car warms up it usually goes away. Lately it has been lingering a lot more. I sprayed the wheel with some WD-40, making sure not to get any on the belt itself, and it went away for a little bit but came back. I have searched for some similar problems on the forums but i don't really see and fix. My belt is fine, it is just the wheel that is squeaking. Also in heavy down pores the belt slips and then catches, im thinking maybe it needs to be tightened? Is there a replacement i can get or any other fix i don't know about? Any help would be great thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
squeaky belt pulley wheel-topmmbolt.jpg  
tdocta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 06:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Scammer

Member Number: 81321

i have the same problem man i have no idea i just ignore and go on because when it gets warmed up it doesnt do it..
thelittleneon05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Member Number: 11888
Lifetime Premium Member

Power steering pump... they aren't exactly known for quality, unfortunately.
Old 05-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 75717

thanks for the response, it the power steering pump an easy replacement? Maybe a weekend and some basic car knowledge or is that something I should take into my mechanic and have fixed?
tdocta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTFORUM Moderator

Member Number: 12791
Lifetime Premium Member

The pulley is pressed on, and needs to be pulled off. I'm not sure if you can buy a new PS pump with the pulley already installed, though. If you have the right tool for the pulley, it's easy to do.

As for taking out the PS pump, it's 3 13mm bollts, and then loosen the lines on the bottom of the pump.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 77818

yes you can buy the pump with the pulley on there but its alot more cost effective to buy the puller and put the new wheel on there properly sometimes you can take a die grinder with a wire brush wheel and go around the pulley were the grooves are and fix it that way but it dont always work it worked on my srt4 but it didnt work on my moms jeep but the idea of doing that is to kinda roughen up the surface so the belt grabs it the best it can without damaging the belt....but you have to make sure thats the pulley were the noise is coming from before u doctor it up
strokedracer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement