Dodge SRT Forum banner

Shell rolltela t6 syn oil

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Shadow 
#1 · (Edited)
I was hearing good things about shell rotella Any good for Srt-4? It's 5w-40

#3 ·
Yep, good stuff.

I run the Valvoline Premium Blue 5W-40 Syn for the ZDDP (Zinc) that's missing from regular automotive oils now (yes, even Mobil 1 Syn and the like no longer contain ZDDP). I case you're not aware, Zinc helps to cushion metal on metal contact and helps prevent wear on parts that contact each other. Not to mention diesel oils usually resist coking better as well.

Plus its cheap for a full synthetic oil. The cost on the Valvoline I buy works out to be roughly $5.50 a quart.

Sent from my DROID3

#4 · (Edited)
Just Get Mobil1 High Mileage, It is the old formula with all the zinc that the synthetic used to contain before they were forced to change it due to zinc clogging Cats after 100k miles. It's not ridiculously expensive either, 5qt Jug for 24$ at walmart lol

#11 ·
To keep it short and simple: Most wear occurs on start-up. Modern multi-weight oils are thinner on start-up and thicken as temperature increases.

You can run 0w-40 year round, absolutely. However, you want the added start-up protection if you live in a climate where it will be below freezing in the winter.

In the summer you can run a 5w-xx because of the temperature. Again, not to say that you can't run a 5w-xx in the winter, it's just nice to have added protection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.