Oil Leak From Front Crank Seal Watch Out! - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oil Leak From Front Crank Seal Watch Out!

I work for Dodge and today i found out that 2005 srts or any of our 2005-2006 cars with 2.4 engine are blowing out the front crank seals due to crank shaft end play and when the seal is moved out man does it leak oil and if you dont know it can and will destroy you engine. Some of you drive alot and if your out of warranty man thats about 1200.00 bucks for new one plus labor. The funny thing is that Chrysler hasnt made a bulletin for the PL body only all others so no one knows about it yet im sure after I talked to them today it will show up soon enough. Just trying to help anyone out there.

Agp WGA, K&N CAI, Perrin MBC,clear corners,Ngk 4306, $20 catch can, Greddy Type S BOV, BOP,JMB UPP,stage 2 inj,stage 1,E-manage,E-01,maddog STS,3in dwn pipe,Hotchkis lowering springs,blue led cluster,CCA fmic,engine mount inserts,Iceman 60mm TB,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 07:01 PM
SRTforums Member

Well if mines gonna go it better go soon b/c my warranty is up in about 8000 miles on my 05....How would it only be 2005's? They didn't change anything in the engines from 03-04-05 did they?

AGP Powered - Turbo666 Tuned

Zeta 2.8
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Not sure somthing in parts maching im sure. It happens someone drinking on the job bumps the machine.

Agp WGA, K&N CAI, Perrin MBC,clear corners,Ngk 4306, $20 catch can, Greddy Type S BOV, BOP,JMB UPP,stage 2 inj,stage 1,E-manage,E-01,maddog STS,3in dwn pipe,Hotchkis lowering springs,blue led cluster,CCA fmic,engine mount inserts,Iceman 60mm TB,
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 07:34 PM
SRTforums Member

oh crap thats sucks....lucky i got a 4yr 70,000nile warrenty it was about 500 bucks more but hopefully it blows before it expires.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 09:42 PM
SRTforums Member

I am experiencing that now with my 05 srt. it has 13,500 miles on it and i have noticed oil built up on the passenger side of the block running all the way down to the oil pan covering the oil filter and bottom of the pan including the plug. intially i thought that it was a bad oil pan plug gasket...got a new plug and kept an eye on it. 100 miles later checked it out...oil everywhere again...thought well hell maybe im not putting oil filter on tight enough(its location is stupid) so i made sure that it was tight on next oil change, and did the peraniod inspection to make sure everything was good and clean...same thing 100 miles later oil everywhere again...i will be notifyin my local dealership tomorrow to have this checked out...i will keep you guys informed...

04 srt4 with pte5862
04 built/boosted 35r s2k
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 08:11 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
This is the first I've heard of this, but if there is any new info available or any bulletins, I'll let you all know when I do.

jwcardy... you ought to bring that in here...

Thinking of starting a "scammed by" thread? If you sent the paypal as a "gift" don't even bother... no one feels sorry for you.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 08:23 AM
SRTforums Member

I don't know that there is neccessarily an issue, but they did issue a bulletin through parts that "IF" there is a leak w/ the front crank seal (4667198), then to do the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAR Parts
Tech Tip Part Description: Front Seal, Pump 2.4L

Tech Tip Description: If the front crankshaft seal is popped/pushed out measure the crankshaft end play. If the end play is out specification please see the STAR online case # K93016699 for recommended repair procedure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K93016699
Case Number K93016699
Vehicle Issue Crankshaft front seal pops out of the front cover.
Year 2005 , 2006
Model JR - Sebring/Stratus Sedan , JR - Sebring Convertible , PT - Chrysler Cruiser , RS - Caravan, Voyager, Town and Country
Engine 2.4L 4 CYL DOHC 16V SMPI , 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V H.O. TURBO , 2.4L I4 DOHC 16V TURBO
System or Component Front Seal Area
Symptom Engine Oil Leak , Fluid / Lubricant Leak
Region Front
Condition Verification Yes - Continuously
Case Verification Crankshaft front seal had popped out. Replaced the seal, and the same condition occurred again.
Recommendation If the front crank seal is popped out of position, measure the crankshaft end play. If the end play is out of spec (acceptable range is .090mm-.240mm/.0035"-.0094"), perform the following procedure;

Remove engine from vehicle (follow procedure as outlined in the service manual).

Remove bedplate (follow procedure as outlined in the service manual).

Inspect the following components: Rod bearings, main bearings, #3 thrust bearing, and #3 bulkhead for scoring.

If rod bearings, main bearings, and/or bulkhead are scored, replace short block.

If rod and main bearings show no scoring, but #3 thrust surface is scored, go to next step.

Measure width of the #3 bulkhead in the engine block and bedplate (Specification is 23.56/23.51mm). If measurement falls outside the range of specifications, then replace the short block.

Inspect crankshaft thrust faces (front and rear). If scored and/or worn, replace crankshaft.

Inspect condition of thrust bearing. If scored and/or worn, replace all new engine bearings.

Inspect back side of the oil pump (look for contact condition between the crankshaft and oil pump) – If contact is observed, install new oil pump, and a new front crankshaft seal.

Modification Date 11/9/05 12:03 PM

I wouldn't jump to any conclusions, but IF you have the front seal pop out AND your crank end play is off THEN you may need some work done. I doubt it will be a major issue, but there is the meat and potatoes of it.

Thinking of starting a "scammed by" thread? If you sent the paypal as a "gift" don't even bother... no one feels sorry for you.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 09:22 AM
SRTforums Member

We can always count on Jimmy to get the info out for us. Thanks again. Only problem is now there is going to be a slew of people with oil leaks just knowing this is their problem, and insisting their crank is bad. Oh well the life of a automotive hypocondriac what can you do. lol

Emergency led warning light bars
CPS Authority Emergency LED Lighting
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 09:32 AM
SRTforums Member

wonder if this is part of the oil pump problem with high hp cars, just enough end play to shock the pump but not enough to pop the seal.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 10:27 AM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camlifter
wonder if this is part of the oil pump problem with high hp cars, just enough end play to shock the pump but not enough to pop the seal.
Couldn't say, but I doubt it. I think it's the HIGH HP that obviously creates the issue. I'm not sure how many high HP guys are going over their crank end-play, but I would hope all of them. As far as what ACTUALLY goes bad.. not sure.. haven't even really looked into it. I don't plan on going further than stage 3 myself. At least not much if I do.

MOPAR!

post #11 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 02:01 PM
SRTforums Member

Crank shaft end play? I just got out of DSM's and the infamous overblown crankwalk paranoia (never had issues on my 1G or 2G). Are we going to have to endure endless threads of guys wondering if they have CW everytime their engine makes a different noise?
post #12 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 04:07 PM
User Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD
Crank shaft end play? I just got out of DSM's and the infamous overblown crankwalk paranoia (never had issues on my 1G or 2G). Are we going to have to endure endless threads of guys wondering if they have CW everytime their engine makes a different noise?
get an 04, they're the best
post #13 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 04:58 PM
SRTforums Member

this is how my 03 engine was destroyed.

post #14 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

I was not trying to say they will all go bad but this is my second one on an SRT 05 only and yes that is the right tech tip it will be a service bulletin soon im sure. Star online doesnt have it listed for pl body though all other bodies apply. THESE WERE STOCK CARS NO MODS EXCEPT WHEELS AND AIR INTAKE, AND THE AWESOME BLUE PLATE

post #15 of 46 (permalink) Old 04-27-2006, 06:08 PM
SRTforums Member

Well I'm at 28.5K and the only oil I've noticed was the shit that leaked out my coldside pipe from blowby(which since has been resolved)...I'm gonna go take a look though! Not too worried...

AGP Powered - Turbo666 Tuned

Zeta 2.8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode