Dodge SRT Forum banner

Need some info Borg Warner S252SX-E

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mrgray03 
#1 ·
I will continue to search but maybe this will be a quicker way to get the answers I'm looking for. A little background: I had a bad internal oil leak a while back and part of my troubleshooting I took my PTE 5431 and rebuilt it using an ebay turbo rebuild kit. Prior to rebuilding and even right after there was no shaft play-the problem ended up being the valve seals. Fast forward to the other day and I noticed a decent amount of oil usage and I'm having a pretty good amount of side to side play on my 5431. Compressor housing is slightly scored, I figured I might as well look into a new turbo vs getting it rebuilt. I'm using the AGP kit with log manifold, 4-bolt outlet.

I'm searching for a replacement, will most likely get it from AGP. I like the price and the specs of the BW S252SX-E. I want something that spools decent and may take me to 400-430 hp. Already have most supporting mods and will run it on pump and may get a meth kit later. Stock block and head. I also want to do it on a budget which means using the original AGP log mani and 4-bolt outlet.

My question is: is this turbo set up for twin scroll and is there a decrease in performance using a twin scroll turbo on a non-twin scroll mani? The price is ~100 less than the normal S256. I didn't have complaints about the 5431 but I would like to try something a little different

See less See more
#2 ·
From what I understand, there is some performance decrease in the spool up mostly. When I built the tubular manifold on Project Blue I remember having 1-3 and 2-4 adjacent to each other (X pattern) so when they fired, both sides of the turbo would be fed at the same time.
1-2
X
4-3

#3 ·
Answered my own question, I didn't pay close enough attention and AGP lets you pick the AR in either open or twin scroll (derp). Also checked forums far and wide... from what I gathered some claimed that by running twin scroll turbo on a non-twin scroll mani you could crack the housing. Even more seemed that it was ok as long as you didn't try and file the center and kept EGTs under control. Others claimed to have ran this setup with no issues (including Supra guys) after several years, and had no signs of damage when they pulled their turbo. As far as spool goes with this setup, I really didn't look into it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.