Light Blue Smoke out Exhaust & Burning Oil - Page 2 - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Engine/Turbos/Ignition

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 88308

Is it possible for a turbo with little side to side play cause oil to leak in the downpipe and smoke out the exhaust? J/W cause there is no oil on the manifold side, very little on the inlet side and some on the inside of my boomba BOV.

Can a head gasket that is going bad cause this? Even though compression numbers are good?

I plan on running a leak down test sometime this week to be on the safe side...
CoRnDawg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #17 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 88675

Im in for some answer. my car is doing the same thing!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 64274

Sounds like ring lands, smoking upon cold start could possibly could be worn valve seals.

Good luck with leak down test, Firing order is 1-3-4-2.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
SRTFORUM Moderator

Member Number: 12791
Lifetime Premium Member

What ^ said.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 88308

I ended up having to replace all four pistons and rings. Rings were broke so i decided while im already in there to go ahead and replace pistons/rods, rings and all bearings...ModernPerformance.com ftw

iPad using AG Free

Last edited by CoRnDawg87; 09-21-2012 at 07:12 AM.
CoRnDawg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #21 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 91261

Im having the same issues with my srt4 can you tell me everything you replaced to fix or resolve the issue
Revinn456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 91507

I'm having the same issues with my 2004. It blows out a cloud of smoke at full throttle and burns about a quart of Mobil 1 10W30 oil every 1000 miles or so. It also runs rich, I have black fuel residue on my rear bumper all the time. The car has been getting 20mpg in the city and 24mpg highway at 80mph. The turbo spools up great and holds 15 lbs of boost no problem.
My Air/Fuel gauge was reading 10.5 at full boost. I back-pinned resistors into the air intake sensor to try and lean it out. It did help, my gauge reads 11.3-11.5 at full boost now (i know ideal is 11.7). I had a leak down test done on the car before i bought it and the blow by was in between 5% and 35% for all cylinders. I have replaced the PCV valve.
My mechanic seems to think I have a boost leak and is going to do a boost leak test this friday, ill post the results. I dynoed the car, and i was very disappointed by the results. It put down 190hp/227lbs of torque. Here's the video of the 3 dyno pulls if it'll help anyone:

Also, the original owner had a 50 trim turbo on the car and it went bad. He put a used stock turbo on it and i bought it.
Any input would be greatly appreciated, i love this car but it's driving me crazy lol. I just want it to run right, i'll do whatever it takes. Thanks in advance!
Aaronlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #23 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 91790

My srt is doing the same exact thing yours is doing and i literally just had all my valves, valve guide seals, and head resurfaced. after doing some research i have discovered that if the turbo is not draining its oil out the center cartridge due to a clog somewhere it will cause the oil to backup inside the turbo and leak out the turbine side where it than ends up into the vacuum line that leads directly to the intake over by the throttle body. I have not confirmed weather or not this is the answer but my asshole mechanic used silcone on my oil drain as a gasket which ended up blocking 70% of the drain tube. atm im in the process of getting a real gasket and putting it all back together.

My idea though is to just disconnect that vacuum line and see if the car still smokes after that (dont drive it, i believe that vacuum line also goes to the brake booster) just rev it up in your driveway or something. my car has the same exact symptoms as yours. its perfectly fine at cruising no matter what rpm im in but if i step on the gas i get massive smoke and a nice spray trail behind me and there is no physical way that much oil is getting past my piston rings with 160psi across the board. Oil pressure builds when you boost or have any kind of motor power being produced, it only makes sense the turbo is getting fed alot more oil during those periods and if its not draining the fluid fast enough it will begin to go wherever it can escape from and it just so happens the intake will just suck it all up super quickly when the motor is looking to pull more air (or boost) in
eggowaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 85559

i also am burning oil, mine does it when i get back on it not even really boosting either, like ill let off gas(fine) then hit gas a little(puff of smoke) then fine... weird, ive rebuilt my turbo and 40k miles ago rebuilt the engine....help..
gunner133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 85559

Still having this issue after rebuilt turbo (replaced internals)
gunner133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:46 PM   #26 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 89262

Did you ever figure this out same problem here
SRT760dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #27 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 93328

Im having same issue start car up puff of light blue smoke comes and when i boost it shoots out bov.. Sometimes if i rev up real high and boost itll blow smoke clouds out exhaust but not always.. Could it be oil drain from turbo being clogged? Or maybe oil pressure sensor switch?
DaChampx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement