interested in 2.3l de stroke kit - Page 3 - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Engine/Turbos/Ignition

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #31 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 80561

Even 8500 is a pretty ridiculous number unless it's a 72mm turbo or something of the sort.

The more custom shit you gotta make (crank, rods, pistons), the more expensive it'll be. Built motors and big horsepower = something is bound to fail at one point or another. Getting replacement parts for a custom bottom end will be a PITA.

Support:
MINDMELT101 TUNED. , GOKEY RACING, , Crower
IG: m_santiago37
D-SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #32 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 75469

Quote: Originally Posted by Racerxvsspeedracer View Post
It's the poor Rod ratio, and piston speeds that are the problem.
Why can't you rev under 8,500 and make power and break records? No need for this 10k Honda crap, I could see if you're running All Motor... But we are using turbos different world, and ways to get there.
People that want to Rev to 10k+ will need short stroke,big bore,good Rod Ratio and low piston speeds.

With our motor we need to set it up different.
We have big stroke, so It's long rod + bigger bore raise CR and good amount. Keep Rev limited to 8,500 which should be more than enough. Turbo selection will be the hardest, but lots to choose from.

Wait, you're wanting to INCREASE the revolutions per minute, but LOWER the "piston speed" keeping the same stroke? Please explain how this works.

Also, this "10K Honda crap" you speak of is a small part of the reason that Chris Miller and some of the other Honda/Acura guys are horsefucking everyone who gets in their path at the track, and have been for awhile now. Since when are more RPMs a bad thing? Assuming the engine is still capable of being effecient of course...

Last edited by LinkLow; 11-05-2012 at 11:32 AM.
LinkLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #33 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 32196

Quote: Originally Posted by LinkLow View Post
Wait, so you're wanting to INCREASE the revolutions per minute, but LOWER the "piston speed"? Please explain how this works.

Also, this "10K Honda crap" you speak of is a small part of the reason that Chris Miller and some of the other Honda/Acura guys are horsefucking everyone who gets in their path at the track, and have been for awhile now. Since when are more RPMs a bad thing? Assuming the engine is still capable of being effecient of course...

What I am saying is you should shit can the idea, of the Srt4 Reving to 10k ...unless u want a grenade motor. It doesn't need to rev like a Honda to make power.
I'm saying with our huge stroke and poor Rod ratio, the best and cheapest way to raise rev limits, is to get a better rod ratio. Using a shorter Rod isn't going to fix that ,and a smaller mm crank would...but there isn't one.
So It's using a longer Rod and work with what we have, 8,500 is pleanty of Rpm!
Honda and other cars can Rev to 10k because they have a short stroke, and good Rod ratios. Let's take a b16 motor just shits

B16A PR3: ROD LENGTH: 5.290 STROKE: 3.031 BORE SIZE: 3.189 (81MM) COMPRESSION HEIGHTS:1.180 DOME HEIGHT: .098 WEIGHT: 299 GRAMS

= 1.75 Rod ratio
F1 cars are 2:1 or over... like I said before you want high revs big bore,short stroke,good Rod ratio, low piston speeds.

More Rpm is not a bad thing, its just not needed on the Srt-4 motor. People need to think outside the box here. The Honda guys are getting better 60' and have more $ and time than the Neon crowd.
It's time for real change here... It can be done with a 8,500 rpm, I don't even think you need that high. It's not a problem for the Srt4 motor to make power or Tq, its putting it to the ground!
Tube V-band,6266,9:1 Cr,E85,Fully Built,Dog Box,Soon!
Racerxvsspeedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #34 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 75469

What I am saying is you should shit can the idea, of the Srt4 Reving to 10k ...unless u want a grenade motor. It doesn't need to rev like a Honda to make power.
I'm saying with our huge stroke and poor Rod ratio, the best and cheapest way to raise rev limits, is to get a better rod ratio. Using a shorter Rod isn't going to fix that ,and a smaller mm crank would...but there isn't one.
So It's using a longer Rod and work with what we have, 8,500 is pleanty of Rpm!
Honda and other cars can Rev to 10k because they have a short stroke, and good Rod ratios. Let's take a b16 motor just shits

B16A PR3: ROD LENGTH: 5.290” STROKE: 3.031” BORE SIZE: 3.189 “(81MM) COMPRESSION HEIGHTS:1.180” DOME HEIGHT: .098” WEIGHT: 299 GRAMS

= 1.75 Rod ratio
F1 cars are 2:1 or over... like I said before you want high revs big bore,short stroke,good Rod ratio, low piston speeds.

More Rpm is not a bad thing, its just not needed on the Srt-4 motor. People need to think outside the box here. The Honda guys are getting better 60' and have more $ and time than the Neon crowd.
It's time for real change here... It can be done with a 8,500 rpm, I don't even think you need that high. It's not a problem for the Srt4 motor to make power or Tq, its putting it to the ground!

Uh ok, got it. Just shoot Kevin W. a PM and let him know he should shitcan the idea of revving his car to 10k.

I agree with your logic that a long rod 2.4 revving to 8500 is PLENTY, but do you know what you're talking about?

What you're doing by de-stroking the engine is decreasing the distances the pistons actually travel.

I will shorten this up....

Is it practical to build an engine with the mechanical strength and the flow modifications to effeciently rev that high if you're on any kind of a budget? No.

Can it be done and be effective? Yep

Will the OP really going through with this? Probably not.

I agree with D-SRT, revving even 8k+ is getting pretty serious.

Last edited by LinkLow; 11-05-2012 at 11:14 AM.
LinkLow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #35 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Uh ok, got it. Just shoot Kevin W. a PM and let him know he should shitcan the idea of revving his car to 10k and give him some of your Rod Ratio data you got there.

I will shorten this up....

Is it practical to build an engine with the mechanical strength and the flow modifications to effeciently rev that high if you're on any kind of a budget? No.

Can it be done and be effective? Yep

Will the OP really going through with this? Probably not.

I agree with D-SRT, revving even 8k+ is getting pretty serious.

The red sled only revs to 8100, so why does KW want 10k. Or why would anyone want more, I will give the ratios needed for a price haha
Old 11-05-2012, 12:04 AM   #36 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

LinkLow lmk when you figure out what you want to ask. So I can answer you, I know what I'm talking about lots of research.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #37 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I don't want to ask YOU anything, I'm TELLING YOU how it is.

OP, if you want to build a 2.3 and rev to the moon, do it. If it were that much better than the 2.4 or higher, all the big boys in the neon scene would have de-stroked engines right now.

You anit telling me anything, and you didnt help the O.P. with that^ post lmao
Old 11-05-2012, 06:12 AM   #38 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 56292

But link low seems to be the only one to agree racer

Reguardless im still trying.to see if.anyone sells a destroking kit

Desttoking it.will be the only reason i rev it.. if no one sells a kit i prolly wont do it.il just do a long rod settup

Reguardless this thread wasnt IF u gus.wld destroke ur motor it was if.u knew any.companies that made a kit
slow acr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:36 AM   #39 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 56292

Ok 8500 moght be enough...

But if my settup is STILL MAKING POWER at 8500 obv u wanna rev higher to keep going... And de stroking... Or have.kevins crank is the safest way to.rev that high
slow acr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #40 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 9751
Lifetime Premium Member

First off people that don't know how The Srt motor reacts ie, spool, transient response to a big turbo that has the proper back pressure shouldn't try to advise anyone what to rev to. That's the trouble with this forum anymore people that haven't done it telling people that want to try other things, then act like srt4 gurus because they read a post or bolted on a turbo and made 400hp and automatically got a degree in bs. Get out there try new things you would be surprised what actually works instead of trying to read about it. The rod ratio isn't horrible it is the stock crank flex even nitrided hell the h22 Honda gets revved to 10k and they are a 1.49 ratio I believe.

Original poster keep at it trying to be different no need to conform to anyone especially people that say something but never done anything themselves. Ps ask redsled what he really revs

Last edited by kevinwarren240; 11-05-2012 at 08:33 AM.
kevinwarren240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #41 (permalink)

Member Number: 9751
Lifetime Premium Member

The red sled only revs to 8100, so why does KW want 10k. Or why would anyone want more, I will give the ratios needed for a price haha

It's called power, when my engine, head, cam combo carries power to 10k rpm and puts it in the cfm/airflow island of the compressor map at the correct pr away from surge line and corresponds to the proper lb/mn im looking to flow that's why I do it. Not because it's cool or Honda do it that are fast. Do something different and get real world results then we can have a debate on why to do it or not.
kevinwarren240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #42 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 77511

doesn't redsled actually rev out past 10K? like 10,500 or something like that?
Boostinfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #43 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 41861

Quote: Originally Posted by D-SRT View Post
'revved to 10k no problems'...

'just smashed a few bearings along the way'..

Great! Lets post that the stock rod angle ratio/stroke is ok to rev to 10k to the average viewer on here that doesn't know anything...

If you read Kevin's post right.....he said without major issue. And when u build motors for a living and race like most of us do....losing a bearing isnt a that big of a deal. Specially when you're doin what Kevin's car does.

Where do u get the idea he said its ok to Rev a stock 2.4 like he does? Stop stinging out whats said and learn how to read
srtmike04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #44 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 77511

Quote: Originally Posted by D-SRT View Post
'revved to 10k no problems'...

'just smashed a few bearings along the way'..

Great! Lets post that the stock rod angle ratio/stroke is ok to rev to 10k to the average viewer on here that doesn't know anything...

i agree with above poster, kevin didn't say he smashed bearings with the billet crank, from what i read
Boostinfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #45 (permalink)

Member Number: 60369
Lifetime Premium Member

in the real world, i dont think that change in bore/stroke really can allow another 2k in rpms, so I wouldnt get all hung up on the crank and rod combo as your only impediment. You really need to also look at the crank overlap, shocked no one even mentioned so far.

No matter what, you need billet crank, with ARP 625's on mains and rods, and whatever rods are lightweight enough but also strong enough (been outta this world for a bit, no idea whats out there, EAGLES are a no no), and same on the piston.

Do all those things, and rod ratio becomes A LOT less important, 0.05 change dont mean squat. When you've already blown the $7-8k on just the short block, you can rev it to 12k if you want.

Last thing ill say to the OP, youre not a VICTIM to your own turbo choice, you should never be saying "if my turbo is still making power to xxxrpms..." If you dont know how to pick a turbo to your goals and engine build, make the call and let someone pick it for you. WIthin 500rpms you should be able to match a turbo perfectly.

Last edited by 04blusrt_4; 11-05-2012 at 10:18 AM.
04blusrt_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement