Dodge SRT Forum banner

Hp surge when boosting

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  DaredPollo 
#1 ·
Okay. So the thing is. When I accelerate, gauge hits 15 And then comes down to 5 but lately I can't boost over 6 psi because there's power surge. It's like the power is choking and you can feel the car sort of stutter once it goes over. I have no idea what this is. Thanks for your help.

#4 · (Edited)
Why in the world would you remove the thermostat?

The car needs to be at a certain temperature to operate properly. Was it over heating? It is my experience that the temp needle usually sits at mid-scale (~200F) and might go slightly above after a long boost run.

Put the thermostat in. If it overheats investigate and fix the problem.

#5 ·
Yes. It was overheating while I was headed to a camping trip. That's why I took it off. Lately the weather has been like 100 degrees. But I don't drive until the car is at running temp. And I only drive like two miles to go to work. Anywho. I will put it back this week though. Aside from that. What do you think the problem could be?

#8 ·
Ok. So I fixed the pcv valve. But that would only let me go up to 10 psi and in moderate acceleration. I couldn't push it because if I did., it would jigger like when someone is learning stick and isn't releasing the clutch slowly. Anyhow. After that since I was getting a rough start almost all the time, I switched the spark plugs and wires and.... Tah-Dah!!!! Everything's good now. I can run as hard as before.

#9 ·
This is good info, I had the same issue but around 45k and it would cut out or bog under boost. I put granitelli wires and champion plugs in with my new intake and it runs better than before! Glad you found the issue, but was the pcv leaking externally and easy to find or was it a pain? I'm not looking forward to finding boost leaks :/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.