Garrett T3/T4E 50 / 57 / 60 trim? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Engine/Turbos/Ignition

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 13401
Default Garrett T3/T4E 50 / 57 / 60 trim?

I hear most people talking about 50trim. I have knowledge about what it is. But I have yet to hear a comparison between these three. I can't really search for it because it's only double digits and i bleieve the search requires a minimum of three. So how much more laggy would the 60trim be compared to the 50trim. .63ar in all.

60 trim:
COMPRESSOR SPECS:
flow: 53 lbs/min 678cfm
.60 A/R HOUSING
60 TRIM WHEEL
TURBINE SPECS:
.63 A/R HOUSING
STAGE 3 WHEEL
oil lubricated centersection.
supportable of 475whp!

57 trim:
COMPRESSOR SPECS:
flow: 53 lbs/min 678cfm
.60 A/R HOUSING
60 TRIM WHEEL
TURBINE SPECS:
.63 A/R HOUSING
STAGE 3 WHEEL
supportable of 500whp!

50 trim:
COMPRESSOR SPECS:
flow: 46 lbs/min 588cfm
50 TRIM WHEEL
TURBINE SPECS:
.63 A/R HOUSING
STAGE 3 WHEEL
supportable of 450whp!

AGP 50 trim, which one comes with the kit? 50 trim turbo, 76 trim Stage 3 turbine wheel ?...I'm all lost now...
rans04srt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 03:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 8377

What are your power goals?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
User Banned

Member Number: 57999

in a general manner, a 50trim will make more power and utilize a better powerband in moderate boost compared to the 57/60trim. they just arent as efficient (especially the 60trim on stock rev limit)

not to say they dont get the job done...there is a guy on here running 11.5 on a 57trim and is getting faster and faster each weekend.

if all you're really doing is moderate boost (20-24) and using the stock rev, a 50trim would be your best bet.
christian? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 40796

Quote: Originally Posted by christian?
in a general manner, a 50trim will make more power and utilize a better powerband in moderate boost compared to the 57/60trim. they just arent as efficient (especially the 60trim on stock rev limit)

not to say they dont get the job done...there is a guy on here running 11.5 on a 57trim and is getting faster and faster each weekend.

if all you're really doing is moderate boost (20-24) and using the stock rev, a 50trim would be your best bet.

Yeah but Tim's car =
Old 10-24-2007, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
User Banned

Quote: Originally Posted by bpsrt4

Yeah but Tim's car =

never said it wasnt. i can plaster a bunch of pink giant dildos all over my car, and it still is no contest w/ tim's.

not that i have a bunch of giant pink dildos or anything tho.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Yeah but Tim's car =

never said it wasnt. i can plaster a bunch of pink giant dildos all over my car, and it still is no contest w/ tim's.

not that i have a bunch of giant pink dildos or anything tho.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by contraption22

No power goals, Just want to have some fun on the highway....going to add it to S2 and boost 12-15psi depending on AFR. Not even going to clamp or tune it with an AFC. The last time I had a mapclamp on the car, it caused some problems and ever since i took it off, problems went away. I want enough air for A/F ratio to be in the 11s and not dip into 10s near redline, thats why i was thinking about the bigger turbo. (Is that only logical thinking and not actual)
Old 10-24-2007, 06:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by rans04srt4

No power goals, Just want to have some fun on the highway....going to add it to S2 and boost 12-15psi depending on AFR. Not even going to clamp or tune it with an AFC. The last time I had a mapclamp on the car, it caused some problems and ever since i took it off, problems went away. I want enough air for A/F ratio to be in the 11s and not dip into 10s near redline, thats why i was thinking about the bigger turbo. (Is that only logical thinking and not actual)

at those boost levels your not going to be making all that much power...those turbos aren't in there efficiency range until 20+ psi

at that amount of boost you'll be struggling with bolt on stock turbo srt's

I would get an safc if you want to save money...don't forget a wideband...stage 2 injectors should be good to at least 350whp
Old 10-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
User Banned

at those boost levels your not going to be making all that much power...those turbos aren't in there efficiency range until 20+ psi

at that amount of boost you'll be struggling with bolt on stock turbo srt's

I would get an safc if you want to save money...don't forget a wideband...stage 2 injectors should be good to at least 350whp

troof.

a 12-15psi big turbo will get womped on by a tuned stocker at 21.
what problems did you incur w/ that ptp mapclamp i sold u a while back rans?

and i hope you mean 350hp w/ s2inj AND a returnline. i ran out of injector at around 290-310hp w/ no returnline.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 8377

Going by what your goals are, I would recommend an E1 or E2. No need to go with a T3/T4 if you want to stay within S2 fuel supply. If you want room to grow, the 50 tirm (or better yet, Super50)is the best match to our engines.
Old 10-25-2007, 12:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Member Number: 26404
Lifetime Premium Member

60-trims tend to surge under load, so we don't have that turbo as an option anymore on our website with a turbo kit (if you really want a 60-trim I can still build them though). A 60-trim compressor will flow similarly to a GT3076R.

A good way to describe a 57-trim is being a less efficient 50-trim. The 57-trim won't make much more than about 450-460hp when completely tapped out, but will spool about the same as a 50-trim.

We have been using the 50-trim for years and found to be the best combination on pump gas in terms of spool and power delivery.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Thanks for the info Jon. I was under the impression that a biger turbo ie, 57trim or 60trim would be pushing more air near redline versus a 50trim. Therefore A/F ratio won't dip too low @ say 5.5k to redline. (yes i know this is why we have tuning devices to take fuel away) But since I wasn't planning on getting bigger injectors (have S2) (not planning on making 400hp for the need of 650s or 750s) I was thinking I could add a bigger tubo, sacrafice spool time and have a semi decent fuel curve (still running rich, but not in the 10s) without using a piggyback. If it'll have a nice power cruve and hit 330hp I'll be happy. I know I can spend more money and do it right...make 400+hp blah blah blah, but I was only planning on keeping the car for 2 more years MAX.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #13 (permalink)
User Banned

Thanks for the info Jon. I was under the impression that a biger turbo ie, 57trim or 60trim would be pushing more air near redline versus a 50trim. Therefore A/F ratio won't dip too low @ say 5.5k to redline. (yes i know this is why we have tuning devices to take fuel away) But since I wasn't planning on getting bigger injectors (have S2) (not planning on making 400hp for the need of 650s or 750s) I was thinking I could add a bigger tubo, sacrafice spool time and have a semi decent fuel curve (still running rich, but not in the 10s) without using a piggyback. If it'll have a nice power cruve and hit 330hp I'll be happy. I know I can spend more money and do it right...make 400+hp blah blah blah, but I was only planning on keeping the car for 2 more years MAX.

all you're looking for is 330?

get an sst or e1.

one of these weekends if you arent busy, meet up w/ me and mana4real.
he has an e1 on s2inj w/ stock mani/02, while im full bolt ons, custom mani, etc.

these big wheel stockers are fun, and seem to be what you're looking for (
hp wise)
Old 10-25-2007, 10:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Member Number: 26404
Lifetime Premium Member

You are doing it somewhat backwards.

You don't want to size a turbo solely to offset the need to run a piggyback. When ANY injector that is different than what the PCM is calibrated for is being used you want to use a piggyback.
Advertisement