Dodge SRT Forum banner

Compressor damage, opinions please

858 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  qwiksilvertrav 
#1 ·
So I'll get right to the point, compressor while has some damage on it and wondering if it's fine for now? The car boosts perfectly fine, no weird noises and just a tad bit of shaft play but not bad at all.

Damage came from an AGP filter that had been exposed to winter elements and proceeded to rust and let some chunks of it get ingested....UGH. Turbo has only 18k miles on it or so. :flame: So not to self keep my filters as fresh as possible from now on.

ANYways here are some pics. 47lb billet compressor wheel from Bob along with the bigger turbine upgrade:

Like it said it boosts fine and hits 26 - 27psi pretty fast and holds it. Everything BEHAVES perfectly fine right now. Is it ok for a while?

See less See more
#2 ·
Won't be the most efficient but yes you should be OK for now. Hopefully it ground up the filter fine enough so no damage was done to the engine. Most likely though that stuff is stuck inside the intercooler, again preventing it from doing the most efficient job.

#3 ·
Yeah maybe I should take off the IC and see if I can clean anything out. How would I go about doing that? And right now it pulls like a damn freight train. Hits 27 - 28psi pretty easily and holds. NO weird behavior from it right now.

#4 ·
I can't recall exactly what a stock Stage 3/TD05 turbo spins but it's likely 100,000-150,000 rpms under max boost. It may run fine now but you have a few potential things to worry about. At those shafts speeds if any of the compressor blade material broke off it can cause a pretty big imbalance, especially that far out from the center axis of the shaft. There's also a pretty good chance that the blade material will fatigue over time and could catastrophically fail.

If there's already shaft play its not going to get better and you run the risk of damaging the center housing rotating assembly (CHRA) where it can't be easily rebuilt. If the bearing play gets too bad or if the compressor wheel catastrophically fails you run a very good chance of damaging the turbine wheel as well (and if the compressor breaks up you'll shoot aluminum fragments into your intercooler core). It might seem fine but could very quickly or instantly turn very bad. If you can afford to have it rebuilt I'd do it right now before any worse damage is done. If you can't afford to rebuild it and have to take the risk I'd definitely try to keep out of boost. More boost = faster turbine shaft speeds = greater forces on the damaged compressor blades.

#7 ·
Thanks, you've always been one of the most helpful people on this board. Definitely going to take your advice and nip this in the bud before it gets worse. Not many stage 3 parts out there and don't want to risk my stage 3. Replacing the compressor is easy (with Bob being miles away :) ). Definitely don't want to risk the compressor housing etc which probably can't be replaced for cheap nowadays.
Then after this I'm going to keep a damn eye on that filter! Love the AGP intake but the filter being exposed to winter elements = crap like this. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.