Can't stop cam sensor from leaking, even with new sensor! - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Engine/Turbos/Ignition

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 03:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 93322
Default Can't stop cam sensor from leaking, even with new sensor!

Old sensor was leaking, bought a new one installed it and it still leaks, maybe even worse. It pools up at the bottom and drips out. I take the sensor off and there is oil almost pooling up where the magnet sits.

I think my pcv valve is junk, could this be causing too much pressure? Replacing the valve tomorrow when it comes in. Also, should I replace the magnet as well, can I use rtv sealant all around the sensor? I tried all types of torques and it still leaks... I even cleaned the shit out of it bc the old gasket left a green ring around...
Regis1756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 89775

If your pcv is fine, look up replacing the valve cover.it shows you where to put some rtv sealant.
jneon2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

valve cover has already been replaced. Did that with the rtv already.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 8272

Edit: I wrote this before I saw that you had changed the valve cover already but the rear cam cap still applies.

^This. The cam sensor is not the only thing that can leak at that location. It could be the sensor/sensor o-ring, the valve cover gasket or the #6 intake cam cap.

Get yourself a valve cover gasket set, some silicone RTV sealant and some anaerobic sealant such as Mopar gasket maker (it's a translucent red color) or Permatex anaerobic sealant.

Remove the valve cover. Remove the cam sensor. Remove the #6 intake cam cap. It's the last cap on the intake cam, the one the cam sensor bolts too, it is the only cap with 3 bolts. Clean the mating surfaces on the cap and block really well then apply the anaerobic sealant as in the below diagram. Reinstall the cap and torque the 2 larger (8mm) bolts to 250 inlbs, the small bolt doesn't have a torque spec but be careful, I wouldn't go over 100 inlbs.

Then install the valve cover gasket and spark plug seals from the kit into the valve cover. Apply RTV sealer to the areas shown below and install the cover. Torque bolts to 105 inlbs. Install cam sensor.

That pretty much covers all the possible leak paths. Good luck

Last edited by DodgeTech; 08-05-2013 at 10:43 PM.
DodgeTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Also, do you have a filter on the breather connector on the valve cover? Is it right over the cam sensor? The engine will push oil out of the breather when you're under boost and it will run down the sensor making it appear to be leaking.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by DodgeTech View Post
Edit: I wrote this before I saw that you had changed the valve cover already but the rear cam cap still applies.

^This. The cam sensor is not the only thing that can leak at that location. It could be the sensor/sensor o-ring, the valve cover gasket or the #6 intake cam cap.

Get yourself a valve cover gasket set, some silicone RTV sealant and some anaerobic sealant such as Mopar gasket maker (it's a translucent red color) or Permatex anaerobic sealant.

Remove the valve cover. Remove the cam sensor. Remove the #6 intake cam cap. It's the last cap on the intake cam, the one the cam sensor bolts too, it is the only cap with 3 bolts. Clean the mating surfaces on the cap and block really well then apply the anaerobic sealant as in the below diagram. Reinstall the cap and torque the 2 larger (8mm) bolts to 250 inlbs, the small bolt doesn't have a torque spec but be careful, I wouldn't go over 100 inlbs.

Then install the valve cover gasket and spark plug seals from the kit into the valve cover. Apply RTV sealer to the areas shown below and install the cover. Torque bolts to 105 inlbs. Install cam sensor.

That pretty much covers all the possible leak paths. Good luck

I rather not buy another kit since I just did it a month ago and have only driven the car 50 miles since then. I would just reuse the same one. Dont really feel a need to buy another kit since this one is brand new. I defiantly will take it apart and do what you said I should do. Hopefully this will be the trick.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Also, do you have a filter on the breather connector on the valve cover? Is it right over the cam sensor? The engine will push oil out of the breather when you're under boost and it will run down the sensor making it appear to be leaking.

No breather filter is connected. It is connected from the valve cover to the intake like it should be.

I can wipe my finger on the bottom of the cam sensor where it plugs into and i will have fresh oil on my finger, you can also see it on the transmission where it runs down.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

If you just did the cover then I agree with you, you should be ok reusing the old one as long as you clean the surface on the head and reapply the silicone.

What kind of sensor did you use? If it was aftermarket I recommend getting a factory OEM one. I see sooo many problems with the parts store sensors.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

If you just did the cover then I agree with you, you should be ok reusing the old one as long as you clean the surface on the head and reapply the silicone.

What kind of sensor did you use? If it was aftermarket I recommend getting a factory OEM one. I see sooo many problems with the parts store sensors.

Got it from the dealer. I wont buy stuff from autozone or anything like that. Too many horror stories!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement