Dodge SRT Forum banner

broken center bracket 2 bolts Sheard off in the block

3K views 46 replies 9 participants last post by  UGM sti 
#1 ·
I just got the car from a kid that shouldn't be able to own any type of car .I purchased another srt4 last week an come to find out it needs every motor mount an has 2 bolts Sheard off in the block. He basically bent the center bracket into the cam gear an it was eating the gear an the belt .before I pull the motor can I get away with only 2 bolts in the center bracket? With all new mounts just to move it around. Other than this the car is mint 120k miles 2 owners an basically stock never been painted nothing

#4 ·
You should not drive that until you pull that center bracket out of there and assess what has to be done to get the old broken bolts out and new ones in. Yes you need all 3, and yes you need that top mount. Follow a timing guide here in the how to forums to get that bracket out.

#5 ·
i would drive it... just wouldn't beat on it until its fixed.. there's another torque arm on the bottom..

most of the srt4 swaps into older dodge cut off the upper torque arm..

you might get lucky and be able to remove it , heat, pb blaster -- soak over night & with the standard easy out tools from sears/craftsman (don't use the harbor freight ones)

if not get one from any srt4 shop or junk yard.. standard to pt's and neons (2gn)

i probably have 5 sitting in the garage but would cost more to ship than its worth

#9 ·
Bad part was the timing belt was just done a few months ago
It probably wasn't tightened properly when the belt was done. If the bolts were tight and there was zero movement, there would be no reason for the bracket or the bolts to fail! So I would take it all apart, replace what is needed and verify that the rest of the work done at that time was better quality than his bracket install. :thumbsup:

#10 ·
Thanks for your time guy's for now I'm going to put it back together so I can move it around . I've got my evolution8 sitting under a car cover next to my 07 sti an my wife is pissed that it's outside she doesn't like the srt4. That's why I was asking if it would be okay to put it back together to move it around until I pull the motor

#15 ·
Parts just came in .
Clutch
tires
break an rotors
new bracket an bolts
slave cylinder an tob
belts
power steering pump an pully
All fluids including freon
both hub bearings
axles
an more
car should be new .I got lucky with the broken off bolts in the block. They came out with a dental pick

#21 ·
Are you using a stock style (Modular) clutch or an aftermarket (non-modular) design?

The factory flexplate (very thin with teeth for starter) has a unique hole pattern for the four bolts that attach to the flywheel on the modular clutch. IIRC the holes for the flexplate to crank are also non-symmetrical.

#25 ·
Royal purple synchromax here also. I am however going to switch to mobil1 hm the next go round. Never any problems with rp, maybe I watched too many Ed Peters videos & it's a lil cheaper. I also wanted to try the Amsoil but it's not readily available where I am.
I've been using rp for the last 6 years & it's done me well

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#27 ·
I also highly recommend one of his TOB forks you can get from him personally. $75 with exhange. You cover your own shipping, or you can buy one outright for $100. They are serviceable also, just replace the stainless steel screws. I am running one on mine and clutch disengagement is perfect.

#28 ·
I was thinking about doing royal purple an I've watched all ed Peters videos lol the for is still good as is the pivot ball . When I unbolt the clutch what do I mark or look for to install my new clutch? I'm installing a oem style clutch. Also I got a new slave cylinder. Do I just install it an let the locking tabs break? Or cut them ? I figured leaving the tabs on an when I get a good pedal they would brake

#33 ·
Tabs are okay to leave uncut. They will break when you push the pedal in. Although when I replace the slave, connect to master, pump several times, compress as much as I can, then disconnect from master. May not be the way anyone else does it, but it works best for me. If you do it this way, make sure to compress as much as possible before you disconnect otherwise you will be fighting the slave upon install to case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.