Dodge SRT Forum banner

Big Turbo Question

750 views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  the_komrade 
#1 ·
Does anybody running a BW s82 other than DCR and are there any recommendations comparing to/beating this turbo?

#10 ·
Take it from me don't build something that you can't enjoy. I took my neon apart over a year ago and went to a fucking saturn I don't fit in. I miss my car everyday. Yea it had its issues and I have some wild plans for it but I miss every second of it. Don't get in over your head, I feel as though I'm a little in over my head and I'm graduating with a bachelor's in technology in automotive haha. Just start small (turbo wise) and if you get bored upgrade.

That's just a number. As TOMTOMR/TSRT4 said, why do you want 500+ horsepower? Replicating DCR's build will cost you a small fortune.
Red sled has enough money into the car to probably buy a gtr and build it for 1500hp. But it's different and I give him some major respect for that. One of the only true neons representing our community.

It's my passion. I started with a 4 banger as my first car. Everyone always said 4 bangers were crap but I love them. I know what they are capable of and want to see how far I can take it. Silly. Probably. Outrageous. Yes but my love and passion nonetheless.
I love 4 cylinders just as much as the next guy. There's nothing better then beating a v8 in something that has half the cylinders and half the displacement...but...the old saying still holds true and will always hold true, "there's no replacement for displacement". Making a 1000hp v8 is a shit ton easier and more practical. I'm currently working on my professors 1970 challenger with 1980's top fuel dragster mopar Keith black big block. The bottom end has been together for 10 years and made 100's if not thousands of passes making 1000bhp+. What I'm getting at is if you try that with a 4 cylinder your rebuilding it every season if not sooner.

I'm not trying to be a dick and say don't do its a waste of money and time because thats what I'm doing :thumbup:. All I and the other members are saying is take it slow. Because you'll get over whelmed and frustrated and probably sell the car our before you ever get it running. It's happened countless times. Start with 400 hp which the engine can handle on e85 and go from there.

#6 ·
if youre only looking for 500 plus... and still have a stock motor, stay away from anything larger then a 50t or something in the 58mm area. it may be a long time goal but you have to go in steps. the red sled makes upwards of 12-1300hp so unless you have the money to send and lots of down time for a huge build, stick to realistic steps

#11 ·
Thanks so much. I give some major respect to all of you guys on here that's why I joined up. I appreciate all the help. It really means a lot because of always gotten battered around for liking a 4 banger and I'd love to have a v8 down the road. But that's another project. I also thank you guys for slowing me down and building up slowly. I have a whole 5 subject notebook I've carried around for the past year writing and jotting things down. Ideas and builds and plans and so forth but I think from what I've seen and what you guys have told me is to slow down because all of those plans and notes my not always work and pushed into a car all at once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.