Cleaning black powdercoated wheels?! HELP ME! - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Other Discussion > Detailing

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2007, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
SRT of the Month

Member Number: 33153
Default Cleaning black powdercoated wheels?! HELP ME!

So as some of you know I just installed a new set of Motegi wheels which have been powdercoated black...

I want to know exactly how to clean these, more importantly, how to dry them!

I plan on doing the typical soap/water and sponge bath which seems to work fine. I tried using a plain cloth rag to dry them and that didn't work too well, and I don't wanna use a paper towel in fear of scratching the paint.

I ended up blowing them out with air (compressor) and that worked great, but I'm not sure if that will cause some problems down the road (fading? chipping? i dunno)...

So throw me some tips on how to take care of these... thanks!

Juan

Old 01-15-2007, 02:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 27497

ummm.. i think your going a bit overboard. try wheel cleaner and then just dry them with like, microfiber towels if your really that serious. or blwo them with a leaf blower lol. i just wash mine with soap and water and just leave them to dry by themselves and they looked fine

| Motegi Flat Black RT5 17x7 Wheels | 225/45/17 G-Force Tires | Custom 2.5" Catback Magnaflow Exhaust | AGP Big Front Mount Intercooler | Prothane Race Motor Mount Inserts | Hotchkis Lowering Springs | Kicker ZX750.1 Amplifier -Kicker CompVX 12" Subwoofer | Kicker ZX200.4 Amplifier -Kicker KS.62 Components -Kicker KS.693 6x9s |
twelveday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 17068

Powdercoat is a very durable finish so I wouldn't over think this. Twelveday is right, just spray 'em with a mild wheel cleaner like Meguiar's Multi Piece or All Wheel cleaner and use either a wheel brush or microfiber towel to lightly agitate. You'll be fine drying them with a clean terry cloth or microfiber towel, or using a leaf blower. Depending on how intricate the design is you may want to wax them regularly with the same wax you use on the rest of the car. It will help with cleaning off brake dust in the future, but keep in mind that one application of wheel cleaner will strip that wax.

'04 PT Cruiser
Graphite Metallic
Stage 1
VAK
Magnecor
Denso Iridium
14.48 @ 94.25mph
Mike-in-Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 21164

A non-acidic APC diluted with distilled water should be more than enough to break-up break dust on new wheels. If you choose to go with a wheel specific cleaner, read the back, I know there are some variants that are not to be used on powdercoat.

Or, your regular car soap and water will work just fine if you keep a coat of wax on them and try to clean them weekly.

I would dry with a nice microfiber or blow them out.

Enjoy the new wheels
-VIS CF Lip

PM me if interested
Kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
SRT of the Month

Thanks for all the help! It sounds like just a wash and some air to blow them dry should do the trick... I'll make sure to come back and get some help if any problems arise. Thanks again.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 39137

hey bro i actually got my wheels powdercoated black and when i picked them up from him i asked wut do i clean them with and he said the best stuff and he uses it is orange blast all purpose cleaner and dry them off with a terry cloth.
spoolinmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
SRT of the Month

Quote: Originally Posted by spoolinmopar
he said the best stuff and he uses it is orange blast all purpose cleaner and dry them off with a terry cloth.

sweet... I'll just pick some of those up so that I can dry them quickly and use the air for when I go all out crazy on 'em. Thanks...