Rear Caliper Fell off while driving!!!! - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Brakes/Suspension/Chassis

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 9291
Default Rear Caliper Fell off while driving!!!!

Damn... my freakin rear caliper on the driver side fell off friday!!! Just got back from the sister wedding in Yakima, WA today. I was suppose to visit the infamous joe_r, but a NO-GO!!!

Had my car ready for a small road trip to Wenatchee and Yakima. Checked all the nessary: oil level, tire pressure, spark plugs, torque lug nuts, coolant fluid, and even checked to make sure the stage 2 wastegate bolts and pin are ok. Everything was a GO. Brought the full size stock rim spare and tools too. Just in case(good thing).

Heading towards the on ramp I-5 North in Seattle... I hear small rattle in the rear like everytime I hit a bump. I've had this rattle since the time I bought the car but always thought is was the coilover suspension. That day... the rattling noise was a bit louder. I am about to get on the on ramp to I-5 north to I-90... give the car a little gas on the on ramp and I here a PING... (I am thinking my stage 2 wastegate pin broke)... few seconds later... BOOooommmm..... Crunch!!! Pull over immediately to the shoulder and shut the car off. At this point I am thinking my engine took a dump on me because of Stage 2 wastegate. I get out of the car and prop the hood open. Nothing!!! No burst of fluids... wastegate was fine. Looked underneath the car... Nothing... no fluids or shattered parts. WTF at this point... I even looked back at the road to see if I had hit anything. I start to walk around the car to do a visual check and as soon as I get to the rear of the driver side. My caliper is wedge inbetween the inside of the wheel and the rotor. Freaking A... I am pissed. The caliper fell off... scraped part of the rear rotor and rim... and three of my spokes have a small chunk of metal ripped. Good thing I pulled over right away because my rear caliper with the brake lines did not even make a full revolution. Damn my brake lines would have been pissing brake fluid. The caliper bolts and clip holding the brake pad missing... I got the caliper un-wedged and zip-tie the brake line and caliper to the supsension. Finally I walked back up the shoulder lane and found my brake pad, and some other piece of metal... but no bolts. Luckly I lived close and drove the car back to my home safely. Driving home... I did not hear the rattleing noise I always here when driving over small bumps or imperfection on the road. That is why I think the rattling noise was the caliper. Grrrrrrr!!!! Parking my car... my brakes start to feel musheee and soft... my brake fluid is leakin. Well that was my Friday.

Overall... I am pissed about my car caliper falling off and not being able to visit joe r. Good news... is that I am glad it happen close to home and not happen while driving to Wenatchee/Yakima... and I made it to my older sisters wedding. My uncle told me he's never heard of a caliper just falling off... plus I have never touch the rear brakes. Just had to rant/rave and give you guys a heads up if you hear any rattling sounds... it could be the caliper. Thanks for readin!!!

Question: Has anybody experience a caliper just falling off? I am thinking I am the only srt-4 person that experinece this problem.

Nathan

POS SRT-4 Just waiting for another part to fall off!
RedEuroNeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2006, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 33036

did you buy your car new? I noticed that when I swapped to Hawk pads, one of my rear caliper bolts was loose, but not on the verge of falling out. I have had the car since it was brand new.
Hi N Mity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 42245

yeh, a caliper doesn't just fall off for no reason. Bolt must have been loose. When's the last time you got your pads changed?

How on earth didn't you feel something weird in the pedal or hear the sound coming from the rear?
Old 07-02-2006, 10:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 759
Default calipar issue

well damm. did you buy this car used? did you or anyone else do a recent brake job?

I own an 03, and have never had this issue.
manny z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 1093

No he bought the car used from me.

I have been trying to kill him since day 1,lol

jking Nathan.

I know at the last meet we had you were saying you had a ratle noise comming from the back.

I know I was the only one that touched the car when it was lowered.

Not sure how it would just come loose as I torked all bolts to speck.

Its realy wierd.

Hopefully you don't have a hater messing with ya.

I hope all works out ok.

joe r
Old 07-02-2006, 11:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by tavenger5
yeh, a caliper doesn't just fall off for no reason. Bolt must have been loose. When's the last time you got your pads changed?

How on earth didn't you feel something weird in the pedal or hear the sound coming from the rear?

The pedal was weird after the caliper fell off... the rear line was leaking fluid toward the time I parked it at my house. As for the sound... every time I hit a bump or small imperfection on the road... I can hear small rattle sound.

Joe_r old car is alsome... I have never touched the brakes... I bought the car with 15k miles from him two years ago. The brake pads were fine too. I mean my 03 only has 28k miles currently. He did great work on the suspension because he put some insulator on the upper mount... that is why I could not figure out why the suspension would rattle. I even looked visually to see if the strut bolts where ok. I know evo77 had a bottom strut bolt break. I work in a tire shop and frequently check up on my car... I never thought it could have been brake caliper... I mean my brake pads are good... caliper was in place. I've never had a caliper just fall off. After the caliper fell off... I inspect the bracket that holds the caliper... the two bolts that hold the caliper are missing completely. The PING noise that I heard before the caliper fell off... I believe to be the caliper bolt shooting off. I wish I had my digital camera to show you guys... this is just a frickin freak of nature. Problem: Caliper bolts was loose and missing!!!

Last edited by RedEuroNeon; 07-02-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

There is no way this is a freak of nature dude.

some one is messing with you & thats fucked.

joe r
Old 07-02-2006, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Well I have heard the rattling sound since the time I bought the car... plus you have not touch the brakes right? We had a conversation about rattling last meet. I figure it was the suspension... and you said that it could be the sway bar tie rod rubbing agains strut or something. We were both wrong. I mean... there is no need to since the car was brand new for a used car. If somebody was messing with me... that just plain F2cked up.

Last edited by RedEuroNeon; 07-02-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 23973

I had a brake caliper magically fall off and wedge into my wheel with the formula.. An hour from home lol...
9Formula8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 05:47 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 14229

Someone had to have fucked with those bolts in the caliper. Both bolts coming out at the same time can't just up and happen. Also that rear caliper has a lip of some sort that sets it in place on the bracket, so the top of the caliper would have to swing up for the caliper to move out of place.
Mini-Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Yes rear caliper has to be removed to install the KW coilovers.

I had the coilovers on the car for almost a year before I sold it to you & I had never touched it sence then.

I never heard the noise evan all the way to you when I delivered it to you...

I am stumped,thats why it had to gave happend over on your side of the mountains.

joe r
Old 07-06-2006, 12:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Mini-Hemi
Someone had to have fucked with those bolts in the caliper. Both bolts coming out at the same time can't just up and happen. Also that rear caliper has a lip of some sort that sets it in place on the bracket, so the top of the caliper would have to swing up for the caliper to move out of place.

Well... it look like one bolt was missing because the inside of the caliper that holds the bolt had spiderwebs inside. I assume that the other bolt came loose. The brake pad had uneven wear too... it has a slope of wear. The clip that holds the brake pad is missing too. With the rotation of the wheel it is easy for a caliper to swing up and out with both bolt missing... that is what the caliper did and ended up wedged between the rotor and the bottom of the rim.

Quote: Originally Posted by joe r
Yes rear caliper has to be removed to install the KW coilovers.

I had the coilovers on the car for almost a year before I sold it to you & I had never touched it sence then.

I never heard the noise evan all the way to you when I delivered it to you...

I am stumped,thats why it had to gave happend over on your side of the mountains.

joe r

Damn... this sucks... hearing you did remove the rear caliper. Honestly... I am a little pissed about the situation but I did buy the car as is.

I drop the car off today this morning... Had to get it towed because the brake lines would leak everytime I press on the brakes. Freakin 3.5 mile tow was $77.25 w/tax to get it to the shop... my insurance company will reimburse the tow but it sucks it had to come out of my pocket first. It leak so bad it was undriveable and I did not want to take the risk. Sh1t always happens to me... this car has been more times to the dealer than anybody here in the nw and i have 28k on an 03. Jr aka kingj07 laughs at my car. Maybe i should stop babying the car and drive this car harder!!! My new name for my car is POS!!! Will see what has to be replaced... I know for sure: brake line, brake caliper, new pad, maybe new rotor but looks like it can be resurfaced, and new rim. Only had my black rims for two weeks... that is the other thing that sucks... have to buy one new rim.

Nathan

Last edited by RedEuroNeon; 07-06-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 27232
Default rattling noise from rear

im hearing the same noise now and its getting louder
andre81400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 78
Lifetime Premium Member

Driving a car with the caliper not proprely attached wasn't smart either. There was nothing to hold the brake piston in the caliper since there was no rotor in between the pads. Every time you applied the brakes it would push the piston out further and further untill it pops out. The line may actually be fine. I would bet all the fluid is coming from the piston seal itself.

Greg Delp
gdflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:02 AM   #15 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by gdflys
Driving a car with the caliper not proprely attached wasn't smart either. There was nothing to hold the brake piston in the caliper since there was no rotor in between the pads. Every time you applied the brakes it would push the piston out further and further untill it pops out. The line may actually be fine. I would bet all the fluid is coming from the piston seal itself.

Yeah... your right. I did limp the car home after the caliper fell off but it is a good thing I towed it from home to the shop. Brake lines looked fine but I don't want to risk it. Fluid is coming out of the brake line that is bolted to the caliper... I am thinking that is the piston seal you mention. Well the car is getting repaired... what damage has occured... damage being repaired/replaced. Now, I wait for the bad news: "The Bill for the repair."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement