prothane bushings - Dodge SRT Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: red hook ny
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
prothane bushings

i just bought and installed my rear prothane sway bar links and bushing
front prothane sway bar links and bushings and front lower control arm bushings and thought id mention how ver very pleased i was

if your looking for a great improvement in handling steering response and sharpness without spending a ton of money this is the way to go. took me about 2.5 hours to install and wow was i suprised at how much better the car feels. also helped some with wheel hop. just thought id give my opinion on my satisfaction
whitesr05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:14 PM
SRTforums Member
 
moparmemo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesr05 View Post
i just bought and installed my rear prothane sway bar links and bushing
front prothane sway bar links and bushings and front lower control arm bushings and thought id mention how ver very pleased i was

if your looking for a great improvement in handling steering response and sharpness without spending a ton of money this is the way to go. took me about 2.5 hours to install and wow was i suprised at how much better the car feels. also helped some with wheel hop. just thought id give my opinion on my satisfaction
Do u have to press the lower control arm bushings to install them?

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING!!!!
moparmemo is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: red hook ny
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmemo View Post
Do u have to press the lower control arm bushings to install them?
nope they slide right in but you do have to use the original outer and inner sleeves of the rearward bushing on the front control arm. the outer sleeve stayed in when i pushed out the old bushing and i burned off the rubber that was on the inner sleeve. front bushing i pressed out but the new prothane one slid right in
whitesr05 is offline  
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 01:37 PM
User Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rear c-arm bushings

Over thanksgiving vacation, I"m going to work with a friend to finally get the rear c-arm bushings installed and I"ll post up pix
prothane good stuff!
ValleyRacer is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: red hook ny
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post
Over thanksgiving vacation, I"m going to work with a friend to finally get the rear c-arm bushings installed and I"ll post up pix
prothane good stuff!
let me know how they are and if they made a difference i want to do them next
whitesr05 is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 06:37 AM
SRTforums Member
 
BOOSTMONSTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: OC
Posts: 945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yup. Replacing rubber bushings with poly ones is one of the best things you can do for your car. More precise control, no more slop, and less wheel hop. I constantly replace bushings for all types of cars for average customers, with poly bushes, and my customers always call me back and tell me how it feels better than when they bought the car new!

Always get an alignment afterwards, because it changes the position of the control arms slightly.

Garrett t3/t4 60-1 with anti-surge full E85
255 w/ bnf feeding surge w/ Bosch 044
1200cc seimens / aero fpr / fuel cooler
Cti charge pipe/ hotside/ cx bfmic/
Ed cold pipe w/ greddy type s/ 55mm tb
4" intake/ stock longblock -bs chain
Bc br 6k/6k, prothane master kit
Progress front and rear sways/
18x8.5 Rays gramlights on fed 595ss.
BOOSTMONSTR is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 02:07 PM
SRTforums Member
 
rosejm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Valpo, IN
Posts: 1,367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesr05 View Post
let me know how they are and if they made a difference i want to do them next
If you did the fronts yourself (and it sounds that way) the rear is really pretty easy.
As long as the bolt through the outer end/spindle isn't bent or rusted in place.
If it doesn't turn easily, I'd recommend sourcing a replacement BEFORE you've broken the old one. They weren't readily available when I needed one...

Oh, and mark/remember which way the lateral arms face and their position. The parts are not identical (2, 1, 1) and do not face the same way on each side of the car.

And get an alignment when you're finished


rosejm is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: red hook ny
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosejm View Post
If you did the fronts yourself (and it sounds that way) the rear is really pretty easy.
As long as the bolt through the outer end/spindle isn't bent or rusted in place.
If it doesn't turn easily, I'd recommend sourcing a replacement BEFORE you've broken the old one. They weren't readily available when I needed one...

Oh, and mark/remember which way the lateral arms face and their position. The parts are not identical (2, 1, 1) and do not face the same way on each side of the car.

And get an alignment when you're finished
yea i did them myself and aligned it too im actually a tech at a dodge dealership so parts and tools are pretty easy to get. good to know about the lateral arms tho i didnt know they were different.
whitesr05 is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 04:09 PM
SRTforums Member
 
cokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Brooklyn , NY
Posts: 4,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesr05 View Post
yea i did them myself and aligned it too im actually a tech at a dodge dealership so parts and tools are pretty easy to get. good to know about the lateral arms tho i didnt know they were different.
Which dealership?
cokey is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: red hook ny
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokey View Post
Which dealership?
Ruge's chrysler dodge jeep in Rhinebeck ny
whitesr05 is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 AM
SRTforums Member
 
cokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Brooklyn , NY
Posts: 4,006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Damn was hoping you were closer... like red hook lol.. that's a pretty long commute...
cokey is offline  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 10:50 AM
SRTforums Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mineola LI, NY
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just got urethane bushings and coilovers, thinking about doing the bushings myself, how hard is the work and what kinda tools would you recommend besides the obvious?
IluvTh3srt4 is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: red hook ny
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokey View Post
Damn was hoping you were closer... like red hook lol.. that's a pretty long commute...
rhinebeck and red hook are right next to each other i actually live in red hook. red hook is still a about an hour n a half to 2 hours from the city.
whitesr05 is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: red hook ny
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvTh3srt4 View Post
just got urethane bushings and coilovers, thinking about doing the bushings myself, how hard is the work and what kinda tools would you recommend besides the obvious?
the sway bar links n bushings are easy n only require basic tools but for the LCA bushings you'll need a way to press out the old bushings or burn all the rubber till you can hammer them out but thats gonna smell pretty bad lol. you actually need to save the inner and outter sleeve of the old bushing. (only for the rear bushing of the front LCA) i used an air hammer but not sure if you have access to air tools. putting them back in though is the easy part.

you'll also need an alignment afterwards or atleast you should get one

did your bushing kit come with instructions?
whitesr05 is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-10-2010, 12:56 PM
SRTforums Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mineola LI, NY
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i got energy suspension's kit i came with a description, i didn't see any instructions however. do you need to press out the old bushings because they were stuck to the LCA or because of somethings else? and as for the torque specs is in not important enough to really need them torqued i would have thought it would be important for the handling of the car to have everything tightened equally and not to overtighten as that would possibly effect the movement. thanks for the help so far though!
IluvTh3srt4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome