LCA bushing trouble - Page 3 - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Brakes/Suspension/Chassis

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #31 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Member Number: 45182

Quote: Originally Posted by SwinginACR View Post
I don't quite see the issue. They look just like mine after 2years of driving. Except they are a bit cleaner. Yes, the one seems as though it is tweaked downward a little but it has the weight of the knuckle on it + coil spring pressure.

Quote: Originally Posted by 69cuda340s View Post
The pictures look they were taken with weight off the front suspension. Prothanes do not have a pretty appearance to them when the weight of the car is off them and the arm is extended all the way down.

^^^^This. The last posted pic looks worse because I believe the car is lowered quite a bit.

I really don't anything that you can do anything about. When the LCA isn't at its designed angle, either at full droop(wheels off the ground) or angle up because the car is "hella flush", the Prothanes distort all the hell.

This is why I prefer Energy Suspension's design.
Please EMAIL!!! dave at needlesstorque.com
www.facebook.com/needlesstorque

Last edited by duster360; 01-25-2013 at 08:25 PM.
duster360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #32 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 81699
Default Hellaflush sucks

No "hellaflush" I would rather ride a bike to work then drive a car that looked like that. Car is on tein S lowering springs, the green ones. Not my favorite thing but they were on the car when I bought it.

Last edited by Moyeah; 01-25-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Moyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #33 (permalink)
User Banned

Member Number: 35677
Default Reviewing prothane install photos

I've sent these photos out countless times to board members, which is why I did the photospread and videos - to assist others.

Now in reviewing the photos, I'm thinking one of the reasons failure occurrs after the front c-arm poly install is that the inner collar is not getting removed. I wonder if this detail isn't clear in the supplied install instructions

Sometimes the photos don't turn out ideal or I forget to annotate the shot.

In this photo I'm showing the SRT4 inner collar removed prior to popping on the bushings, but I didn't get shots or video of the removal process.

And in this video I'm showing a possible "how-to" for removing the inner collar as we did on my 1st gen NEON.

Someone else chime in here............
ValleyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #34 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

What?!?!

ValleyRacer, I'm seriously doubting your competency to offer instruction or advice.

I would suggest everyone get a 2nd and 3rd opinion before listening to anything he has to say.

No where does Prothane suggest you hack up the outer shell of the bushings. In fact, they're quite adamant that you shouldn't touch it.

http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.c...thane/4214.pdf

Also, its obvious that the bushing is specifically radius'ed to account for the so called "collar"(aka "shell") that ValleyRacer is mistakenly chiseling away.

Last edited by duster360; 01-26-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #35 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 86725

It's nothing to do with the arms. Mine were BRAND NEW from Modern Performance. That collar should not be removed.

Forward Motion E1, LCR ported & polished manifold, Tial 38mm wastegate. Powered by: E-85

Tuned by Dave, aka Duster360
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #36 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

This fucking sucks.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #37 (permalink)
User Banned

Default Calm down and where are YOUR Photos & video?

Quote: Originally Posted by duster360 View Post
What?!?!

ValleyRacer, I'm seriously doubting your competency to offer instruction or advice.

I would suggest everyone get a 2nd and 3rd opinion before listening to anything he has to say.

No where does Prothane suggest you hack up the outer shell of the bushings. In fact, they're quite adamant that you shouldn't touch it.

http://www.prothanesuspensionparts.c...thane/4214.pdf

Also, its obvious that the bushing is specifically radius'ed to account for the so called "collar"(aka "shell") that ValleyRacer is mistakenly chiseling away.

For GAWD's sake calm down. So many people have used my photos and videos for instructional guidance on suspension stuff - calm down.

Secondly, that video (if you would again calm down) is from the install on my first gen NEON. It's very clealy labeled that way in the YOUtube header box.

I'm attemtping to troubleshoot bushings failure on other cars as mine are just fine. My bushings were installed by the most competent SRT4 mechanic in Northern California, I did the photography and video during in install.

Did YOU post up video and pix? Did you email photosets to board members until your INBOX and OUTBOX were full and get thanked for the resource?

Last edited by ValleyRacer; 01-26-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 01-26-2013, 06:40 PM   #38 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

If you're not comfortable or confident in your own abilities to even install these bushing yourself, it begs the question that what experience and knowledge are you really basing this advice on?

You clearly suggested that the bushing sleeve be chiseled out yet this is clearly and obviously wrong. If some kid actually thought you knew anything about what you speak and the picture and videos you take and then followed your misinformation, he could be in serious trouble.

My 5 year old takes decent pictures me working on cars but I really wouldn't trust his advice about the exact hows and whys of what I'm doing.

Your effort and enthusiasm is appreciated, for sure, so post as many pics of whoever it is that's working on your car as you like. But please try not to mislead others into thinking you really have any idea whats right or wrong.

Last edited by duster360; 01-26-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #39 (permalink)
User Banned

Default Duster360 you're babbling idiot

If you're not comfortable or confident in your own abilities to even install these bushing yourself, it begs the question that what experience and knowledge are you really basing this advice on?

You clearly suggested that the bushing sleeve be chiseled out yet this is clearly and obviously wrong. If some kid actually thought you knew anything about what you speak and the picture and videos you take and then followed your misinformation, he could be in serious trouble.

My 5 year old takes decent pictures me working on cars but I really wouldn't trust his advice about the exact hows and whys of what I'm doing.

Your effort and enthusiasm is appreciated, for sure, so post as many pics of whoever it is that's working on your car as you like. But please try not to mislead others into thinking you really have any idea whats right or wrong.

Where do you come up with this shit? Instead of blabbing, why don't you post up the pix YOU TOOK and help solve the problem. Instead of internet bashing - get to the problem. Enough of the 5 years old kids and insults.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #40 (permalink)
User Banned

Default Consulted Mannyz and Blazin for tech support

Since it's been 1.5 years since my install of the front c-arm bushings, there must have been an item in my photo sequence that looked like we removed and didn't put the ID collar back in or something.

Maybe I didn't recall a detail or something in the effort to troubleshoot.

I just photographed my c-arm bushings, they are fine, so it's not the collar. What is causing these failures? I'm baffled.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #41 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Quote: Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post
What is causing these failures? I'm baffled.

Shocker,,,,,,,,

Lift both front wheels of the car off the ground so both wheels are at full droop and then take another pic. You'll see how the bushings will distort all to hell

ps Consider yourself on probation.

Now that I think of it, I believe that some aftermarket bushings may have a slightly smaller ID than what came from the factory. Which makes the install a little trickier.

Last edited by duster360; 01-27-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #42 (permalink)
User Banned

Default I couldn't care less about internet probation

Shocker,,,,,,,,

Lift both front wheels of the car off the ground so both wheels are at full droop and then take another pic. You'll see how the bushings will distort all to hell

ps Consider yourself on probation.

Now that I think of it, I believe that some aftermarket bushings may have a slightly smaller ID than what came from the factory. Which makes the install a little trickier.

Hey just post up some data, a set of measurements of these bushings you refer to (as I put in another post) to support your belief. Please use digital calipers. Put your camera in close up mode.

Check your PM
Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #43 (permalink)
SRTFORUM Moderator

Member Number: 12791
Lifetime Premium Member

Sooo, OP, you ever get this figured out?
Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #44 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Advans View Post
Sooo, OP, you ever get this figured out?

Nope. One LCA is still on the car in its squished form the other is off the car in pieces. Going to get in contact with Prothane on monday or tuesday to see what they have to say.
Old 01-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #45 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Quote: Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post
Hey just post up some data, a set of measurements of these bushings you refer to (as I put in another post) to support your belief. Please use digital calipers. Put your camera in close up mode.

Check your PM

It's best to discourage the use of Prothanes at all--->problem solved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement