Koni Inserts + Ground Control - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Brakes/Suspension/Chassis

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
Master Avatar Creator

Member Number: 81959
Default Koni Inserts + Ground Control

So this may be a stupid question but I have searched with no luck.
Anyways, I plan on ordering some Koni inserts with in the next couple of days and will be pairing them with the Ground Control Coilover Kit. Now, on GC's website, it has a drop down box to select what shock is on the car. The only option is stock only, but it says will not fit with Koni.
Are they talking about the insert or something else because I thought these worked with the inserts.
Here is the link for the kit -->
Ground Control - Coilover Conversion kit, 03' Dodge Neon SRT
Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing.
Any input is appreciated.
SRT4-Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Admin

Member Number: 3286
Lifetime Premium Member

you need to call them and make sure they use the correct size parts in the top hat and camber plate assembly.

stowaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
Master Avatar Creator

Quote: Originally Posted by stowaway View Post
you need to call them and make sure they use the correct size parts in the top hat and camber plate assembly.

Alright, that's what I will do then. Thanks
Old 08-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
Master Avatar Creator

Maybe another dumb question but I got a friend selling some hotchkis springs. Would it be worth saving the money and getting these springs paired with the Koni inserts or would it be beneficial to get the GC coilovers kit instead?
Old 08-31-2012, 04:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Admin

Lifetime Premium Member

I think the hotchkis springs was one of the best options made for the SRT. Doesn't drop a ton, but a very good spring rate, especially paired up with the Koni.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 49564

I went from Illuminas with Hotchkis springs to Konis with GC Sleeves and for autox its a huge difference though my spring rates and specific valving (850/450lb) might have something to do with that

In order to fit the Konis you need to bore the rear upper spring plate to 22mm as the Koni shaft is larger. The thread is M14x1.25 make sure they send you the correct nuts. The nuts for the camber plates are specific to GC.
bone-yard-racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I went from Illuminas with Hotchkis springs to Konis with GC Sleeves and for autox its a huge difference though my spring rates and specific valving (850/450lb) might have something to do with that

In order to fit the Konis you need to bore the rear upper spring plate to 22mm as the Koni shaft is larger. The thread is M14x1.25 make sure they send you the correct nuts. The nuts for the camber plates are specific to GC.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 13844

Calling Ground Control is the best option. They are really friendly to deal with and will always stride to get your setup perfect!

bone-yard-racing - Are you running a front sway bar with that setup? What is your rear sway bar setup? I was thinking of similar spring rates as those next for my car.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Keith at GC is who I talked to he was really helpful (overnighted 3 sets of top nuts for my camber plates after I measured wrong for $0 really great guys!) with that said they dont know much about our cars.

No front bar 24mm JC Whitney/Addico solid rear bar. 245/40/17 R6s in the front 225/40/17 R6s in the rear. Fairly mild camber settings (-2.5F -1.0R) havent checked toe all season

The car handles very well in some ways, it transitions (slaloms/offsets) quicker than anything I can find. With that said steady state corners are difficult. Its also very very quick to step the rear out
Old 09-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Admin

Lifetime Premium Member

That much rear sway and nothing on the front then I am not surprised it is a bit snappy.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 13844

Looks like an ideal autocross setup, but I wouldn't try this on track with hpde.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor (Gold)

Member Number: 45182

Quote: Originally Posted by stowaway View Post
That much rear sway and nothing on the front then I am not surprised it is a bit snappy.

That's an understatement.

Relative Roll resistance front & rear is off the charts even with the 850lb front springs.
You sound like the perfect candidate for PT cruiser knuckles with increased Ackermann.
Please EMAIL!!! dave at needlesstorque.com
www.facebook.com/needlesstorque
duster360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
Master Avatar Creator

So, I emailed Ground Control today regarding pairing their coilover kit with Konis and this was the response. I was going to call them today but didn't have the time.

Aaron,

We unfortunately do not do a kit for the SRT4 w/Konis due to the inconsistencies in the Koni bodies.

Thank you for your interest and I wish I could do something for you.

Adam

So, my question is, how are people using Koni inserts paired with Ground Controls if they say this isn't an option? Would it still be worth giving them a call? Also, if they stopped doing this, what would be the best option to go with spring wise?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
Master Avatar Creator

So, I emailed Ground Control today regarding pairing their coilover kit with Konis and this was the response. I was going to call them today but didn't have the time.

Aaron,

We unfortunately do not do a kit for the SRT4 w/Konis due to the inconsistencies in the Koni bodies.

Thank you for your interest and I wish I could do something for you.

Adam

So, my question is, how are people using Koni inserts paired with Ground Controls if they say this isn't an option? Would it still be worth giving them a call? Also, if they stopped doing this, what would be the best option to go with spring wise?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #15 (permalink)
SRTforums Admin

Lifetime Premium Member

The koni body doesn't matter, the only thing gc should care about is the shaft diameter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement