burning brake smell and squealing at low speed braking - Dodge SRT Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
ORSRT05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
burning brake smell and squealing at low speed braking

Hey guys, like the title says, I have a really bad burning brake smell from the left front wheel anytime I drive my SRT. THERE is also a slight brake squeal at low speed braking after driving around for about 15 minutes. There is no drag upon acceleration and the car freely moves back and forth in neutral. I inspected all the brake pads and they all have even wear front and back. What could be causing this?

DiabloSport 93 Octane Tune
AEM UEGO Wideband
HKS SSQV BOV on ED harpipes
Mopar/Borla Cat-Back
BC Coilovers Front & Rear Camber Plates
S&P Welfare Sway Bar Setup
Poly LCA Bushings & End Links
Mopar Rear Tension Struts
K&N Drop In Air Filter
ORSRT05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM
SRTforums Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: otown
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
how long ago did you change your brakes? like a brake service?
tibbs is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
ORSRT05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I changed all 4 brake pads and rotor about 20k miles ago....front pads are worn down about a 1/4 of the way both sides and the rear about the same....I haven't drained the brake fluid though since June 09'...fluid doesn't look too bad and the car s an 05'

drive the car home tonight from school and didn't use the brakes much....when I stopped for gas there was only a slight smell of brakes from just the left front wheel despite not hearing any squealing from the brakes at all....I don't know where to begin

DiabloSport 93 Octane Tune
AEM UEGO Wideband
HKS SSQV BOV on ED harpipes
Mopar/Borla Cat-Back
BC Coilovers Front & Rear Camber Plates
S&P Welfare Sway Bar Setup
Poly LCA Bushings & End Links
Mopar Rear Tension Struts
K&N Drop In Air Filter
ORSRT05 is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:03 PM
SRTforums Member
 
SSkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Penfield,PA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had this same problem with my car too idk if it was the correct way of doing it but the shop cudnt find anything so I took it apon myself to pull the brake off replace all my pads even tho they were like new and rebleed them and wen I backed oit of the shop I gave them a good stiff stop and havent had a problem since and that was 5000 miles ago dnt know if that will help ya out at all but worth a shot good luck!
SSkiller is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
ORSRT05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSkiller View Post
I had this same problem with my car too idk if it was the correct way of doing it but the shop cudnt find anything so I took it apon myself to pull the brake off replace all my pads even tho they were like new and rebleed them and wen I backed oit of the shop I gave them a good stiff stop and havent had a problem since and that was 5000 miles ago dnt know if that will help ya out at all but worth a shot good luck!
I was thinking of doing a brake fluid flush like I did about 3 years ago....i know it should be done atleast once a year but im not really looking forward to doing it...spending the two hours getting covered in brake fluid and than have the brake still give me a problem is really gonna be annoying....but atleast ill have fresh fluid in the cylinder and the system

but im thinking of just changing out both front calipers and going from there....the car does seem alot harder to push when its in neutral as compared to how easy it usually is to push back and forth in my driveway....there seems to be some resistance but not much....maybe thats why the car is not behaving like a car usually does with a failed caliper where it feels very slow and theres a dragging feeling like driving through sand as you accelerate

DiabloSport 93 Octane Tune
AEM UEGO Wideband
HKS SSQV BOV on ED harpipes
Mopar/Borla Cat-Back
BC Coilovers Front & Rear Camber Plates
S&P Welfare Sway Bar Setup
Poly LCA Bushings & End Links
Mopar Rear Tension Struts
K&N Drop In Air Filter
ORSRT05 is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 10:52 PM
SRTforums Member
 
SSkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Penfield,PA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSRT05 View Post
I was thinking of doing a brake fluid flush like I did about 3 years ago....i know it should be done atleast once a year but im not really looking forward to doing it...spending the two hours getting covered in brake fluid and than have the brake still give me a problem is really gonna be annoying....but atleast ill have fresh fluid in the cylinder and the system

but im thinking of just changing out both front calipers and going from there....the car does seem alot harder to push when its in neutral as compared to how easy it usually is to push back and forth in my driveway....there seems to be some resistance but not much....maybe thats why the car is not behaving like a car usually does with a failed caliper where it feels very slow and theres a dragging feeling like driving through sand as you accelerate
Mine would feel free until i went five or so miles, then it wud feel like just what u said driving in sand. I wud just do what u said and hope for the best also check over ur lines realy good to see if theres a pinch or slight pitch holding the fluid back, and keeping the brakes slightly on.
SSkiller is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
ORSRT05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSkiller View Post
Mine would feel free until i went five or so miles, then it wud feel like just what u said driving in sand. I wud just do what u said and hope for the best also check over ur lines realy good to see if theres a pinch or slight pitch holding the fluid back, and keeping the brakes slightly on.
yeah my brakes do the same....it takes about 5 miles for it to act up....its definetely the left front caliper....i noticed when stopping at a red light on a very slight incline that the car does not roll backward like it used to it just stays still....if i give it a little gas and the car moves it rocks forward and backward and then it stops as if i were lightly pressing the brakes

i called advance auto parts and theyre ordering me a new front caliper for $57after i bring back the old caliper...ill change out the caliper on monday....now i gotta remember to take the car in for a fluid flush at some point

DiabloSport 93 Octane Tune
AEM UEGO Wideband
HKS SSQV BOV on ED harpipes
Mopar/Borla Cat-Back
BC Coilovers Front & Rear Camber Plates
S&P Welfare Sway Bar Setup
Poly LCA Bushings & End Links
Mopar Rear Tension Struts
K&N Drop In Air Filter
ORSRT05 is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 11:26 PM
SRTforums Member
 
SSkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Penfield,PA
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSRT05 View Post
yeah my brakes do the same....it takes about 5 miles for it to act up....its definetely the left front caliper....i noticed when stopping at a red light on a very slight incline that the car does not roll backward like it used to it just stays still....if i give it a little gas and the car moves it rocks forward and backward and then it stops as if i were lightly pressing the brakes

i called advance auto parts and theyre ordering me a new front caliper for $57after i bring back the old caliper...ill change out the caliper on monday....now i gotta remember to take the car in for a fluid flush at some point
hope it works out for yeah. i know it made me not wanna drive my car at all! it wud always feel stuck in place wen i wud go to move from a stop!
SSkiller is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 12:56 AM
User Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 1,844
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
synthetic brake fluid suggested

If you use a synthetic brake fluid, like Prestone DOT4, you don't have to change the brake fluid every year - you can go a couple years.
The brake "squeal" is usually caused by various vibrations. Did you put that brake pad compound (gel) on the back of the new pads?
IF you smell hot brakes, probably a sticking caliper piston, not allowing the pad to retract from the rotor - typically caused by some rust, or a damaged piston.
The caliper overhaul or replacement will most likely fix it.
ValleyRacer is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
ORSRT05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyRacer View Post
If you use a synthetic brake fluid, like Prestone DOT4, you don't have to change the brake fluid every year - you can go a couple years.
The brake "squeal" is usually caused by various vibrations. Did you put that brake pad compound (gel) on the back of the new pads?
IF you smell hot brakes, probably a sticking caliper piston, not allowing the pad to retract from the rotor - typically caused by some rust, or a damaged piston.
The caliper overhaul or replacement will most likely fix it.
hey valley what is this brake pad compound your referring to? I have honestly never heard of it but i will be sure to pick it up along with my new caliper

im also gonna double check which brake fluid i used when i did the flush last time in august 2010....the current fluid doesnt look too bad its just a little dark...ill try and flush the fluid this summer after schools out but i just want my car driving the way it used to

the smell of burning brakes has become extremely unbearable!!! the squeal has disappeared all of a sudden but the smell of brakes everytime i come to a stop light is intense...i can smell it coming through the vents if i have the heat on....than if i park the car the smell just lingers for like 5 solid minutes before it dissapates

im hoping the new caliper fixes it and it doesnt start sticking again cause i have no time to be diagnosing any brake issues until school is over

DiabloSport 93 Octane Tune
AEM UEGO Wideband
HKS SSQV BOV on ED harpipes
Mopar/Borla Cat-Back
BC Coilovers Front & Rear Camber Plates
S&P Welfare Sway Bar Setup
Poly LCA Bushings & End Links
Mopar Rear Tension Struts
K&N Drop In Air Filter

Last edited by ORSRT05; 01-29-2012 at 02:36 PM.
ORSRT05 is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
ORSRT05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK so quick update....I replaced the left front caliper and the car drives mint!!!!

one small problem though....I'm still smelling a slight burning brake smell and intermittent squealing at low speeds.....it even squeals as the car is driving at low speeds..... could this be a sign the rotor is warped?....there was no smell of brakes when I parked but as I was driving I would smell it slightly at stop lights

Otherwise the car drives great....no dragging

DiabloSport 93 Octane Tune
AEM UEGO Wideband
HKS SSQV BOV on ED harpipes
Mopar/Borla Cat-Back
BC Coilovers Front & Rear Camber Plates
S&P Welfare Sway Bar Setup
Poly LCA Bushings & End Links
Mopar Rear Tension Struts
K&N Drop In Air Filter
ORSRT05 is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
ORSRT05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
By the way though there was no vibration, pulsation or shaking of the steering wheel at any speed while braking....could this be pad deposits on the rotor burning off?

DiabloSport 93 Octane Tune
AEM UEGO Wideband
HKS SSQV BOV on ED harpipes
Mopar/Borla Cat-Back
BC Coilovers Front & Rear Camber Plates
S&P Welfare Sway Bar Setup
Poly LCA Bushings & End Links
Mopar Rear Tension Struts
K&N Drop In Air Filter
ORSRT05 is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:08 PM
SRTforums Admin
 
stowaway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Outer Banks, NC
Posts: 36,153
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Need to clean up the pads and rotor surface if they have been overheated. Some coarse sandpaper can clean it up for you quickly.










stowaway is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
ORSRT05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stowaway View Post
Need to clean up the pads and rotor surface if they have been overheated. Some coarse sandpaper can clean it up for you quickly.
Thanks stowaway!!!.... you just temporarily relieved my headache from these brake issues.....I'll give this a try tomorrow if I get a chance....as long as I know it's not a huge deal right now

DiabloSport 93 Octane Tune
AEM UEGO Wideband
HKS SSQV BOV on ED harpipes
Mopar/Borla Cat-Back
BC Coilovers Front & Rear Camber Plates
S&P Welfare Sway Bar Setup
Poly LCA Bushings & End Links
Mopar Rear Tension Struts
K&N Drop In Air Filter
ORSRT05 is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member
 
ORSRT05's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 645
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update: so I sanded down my brake pads really well and scuffed up the rotors about 28 days ago. Squealing is still there but it's very minimal and occurs only when I'm braking alot. Brake smell is still there but not as strong and it has a slightly different smell to it. Not as pungent. What could be causing the brak pad to still have this smell? I see the pad is bedding in the rotor nice as opposed to when I changed the brake caliper and the rotor was totally flat and shiny. Could the material in the brake pad have changed from the extreme heat occurring when the caliper was frozen? Brakes perform fine or so they seem

DiabloSport 93 Octane Tune
AEM UEGO Wideband
HKS SSQV BOV on ED harpipes
Mopar/Borla Cat-Back
BC Coilovers Front & Rear Camber Plates
S&P Welfare Sway Bar Setup
Poly LCA Bushings & End Links
Mopar Rear Tension Struts
K&N Drop In Air Filter
ORSRT05 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome