Dodge SRT Forum banner

Best price on OEM brake pads

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  fixit 
#1 ·
Anyone know who has the best price on OEM pads? Part number 5086364AB. I can't tell which place is selling a set, or for just one wheel. I'm going with Autozone rotors and trying to find the cheapest place to get these pads.

#3 ·
I know people talk crap about the Autozone brands but I'm on my second set of brake pads from them. Replaced my stock pads at 50K with a set of Autozone Gold C-max pads and again at 100K. When I replaced the first set of Autozone Gold C-maxes, there was still about 1/8"-3/16" of pad left. For daily driving and some aggressive driving from time to time, they do just fine and are priced ~$50.00 for driver/passenger fronts and ~$50.00 for driver/passenger rears.

If I remember correctly, the regular Golds (not C-max) are supposedly the "stock-replacement". Do what you want but I have never had a problem with these pads.

#8 ·
I would wire brush or lightly sand the old rotors to get any rust around the edge and residual film from your last set of pads off of them. Then just take it relatively easy trying not to heat the brakes up too much for a few hundred miles...basically, don't make it a habit of slamming on the brakes or riding them for long periods of time for a few weeks so that you can let the new set transfer good film onto the rotors.

#10 ·
LMFAO, comparing parts store pads to OE pads. If you don't need or want good brake feel and power, stick with a $30 lifetime pad that grandma gets put on her buick. I've yet to know of a parts store pad that will be quiet and have good modulation and fade resistance like our OE pads. If Dodge thought they could use the same pads as a PT Cruiser they would have used them instead of coming up with a new formulation.

btw, brake pads never come for just one wheel, always for an axle set (both fronts or both rears).

New rotors and pads, go out to a back road and do a few 55-10mph hard, but not in ABS stops, drive for a few minutes to cool things off, and do a few more, cool them off, and you're good to go.

btw2, just googling that part number got me Disc Brake Pad - Dodge Part # 5086364AB - 2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4 with a 2.4L L4 - Gas engine

#14 · (Edited)
They got that right.

What he said. I have 75K on my brakes. Up until 70K, the brakes worked fantastic. Currently starting to feel minor pulsing when stopping easy and slowly. If I brake hard, they still stop on a dime.

I was sticker shocked at first: Dealer price= $80.00 for a pair of front pads and $80.00 for each front rotor.

My feeling is, they worked near perfect all the way up to 70K with the design Mopar used. I'm not going to get the rotors turned and replace the pads. Just going to get new rotors and pads from Mopar, and not look back. The next payday, I'll do the same for the rears...$80.00 for a pair of rear pads and $70.00 for each rear rotor.

JR

#12 ·
I agree with most on here about parts store pads. I have Wearever platinum on my F150 & now also on the Neon. Excellent for daily driving and they brake really well. If you beat on them a bit, they will complain though. Can't beat em for 50 bucks a set though, and they're clean as hell(almost no brake dust) with no noise.

#13 · (Edited)
I need new pads and rotors soon...I drive my car hard at times and I need as much performance as I can get. My stock pads have worked too well not re-buy them. I would never buy anything from auto zone to install on a high performance car, all the way down to wipers. Those duralast wipers are the worst wipers I've ever used. I think they lasted a month. My OEM wipers lasted 4 years (different vehicle mind you).

#15 ·
I've used the lowest grade of brake pads and rotors from Autozone, total crap. Felt unsafe. I had them less than 1k miles and switch to whatever their mid grade crap is. No problem since but I'm due for new pads. Going with their higher end pads now to see how those do. Worst case, I turn my old ones in for their lifetime warranty and keep the higher end for the strip. I don't autocross but I do drag every now and then with spirited daily driving, so I don't push my stuff like Nacho or Stow.

Brakes aren't loud at all, except when wet (which doesn't bother me).

#16 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.