BC coilover ride quality? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Brakes/Suspension/Chassis

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 72289
Default BC coilover ride quality?

Hey guys..not entirely new to the forums, but somewhat new to the car still. I know the topic of lowering the car and ride quality has been discussed many times, but I wanted to pose a more specific question and get some feedback.

I lowered the car on springs about 2 months ago. My car only has 40k miles on it, so the shocks are(were) in fine condition before. In that couple of months the ride quality diminished very fast. The shocks are very worn out and the car is obviously pretty bouncy at this point. I was surprised how quickly they were gone actually…

Anyway, so I could replace the shocks but I’m not a huge fan of running a shock that has its optimal operating range at stock ride height. The ride quality in the car has me pretty bummed since this is my dd. I have been tossing around the idea of coilovers, but am unsure if this would give me what I’m looking for. I don’t want to spend the money and be in the same spot. I’m at a point of maybe just moving to a different car, but would give this a shot if it will show a significant improvement. I know that stage 2 or 3 coilovers will net the best ride, but I can’t justify the price.

So my question is, how does the ride quality of BC coilovers lowered say 1.5” front/2.5” rear from stock compare to stock ride quality? I know ride quality can be subjective, so for reference I would say that stock ride quality for me was borderline stiffness/overall discomfort anyway.

Thanks for any input!
99riocobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)
SRT of the Month

Member Number: 32888
Lifetime Premium Member

i like my bc, you can change the damping from hard to soft and 32 clicks inbetween stiff for the track and alil softer for the street...
Need Fuel setup ideas click here
Props go out to:
Mindmelt101, Tuner Geeks, Act, Wikyd Performance, Pwerks
underSRTarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Thanks. How would you compare to stock height? Do you feel that even if the shocks are on the softer side that the ride still feels harsh or bouncy due to the stiffer springs?
Old 01-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 52541

BC Coilovers give you a decent ride if you have good roads, but ride quality is noticably harsher compared to stock.

At that budget look into ST (Suspension techniques). I have no experience with them but they are made by KW and come with warranty from them! And other members speak highly of them.

Current setup:
E85, 56mm, Ported 1+2+, Built & Strapped....
dabezt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

That's what I was sort of afraid of. I appreciate that.

And thanks, I'll see what I can find.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 90477

Im curious as well, but I know no matter what it's going to be a rougher ride its just figuring out which CO set will ride softer. let me know what you end up doing
SRT4meeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 73292

My BC's are BOUNCY. Really rough ride on what appear to be even good stretches of highway. Feels better around town but still very bouncy compared to anything I've ever driven in. I had an '02 WRX with springs that I thought was rough until this!
wmgolfer05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 82074

Quote: Originally Posted by wmgolfer05 View Post
My BC's are BOUNCY. Really rough ride on what appear to be even good stretches of highway. Feels better around town but still very bouncy compared to anything I've ever driven in. I had an '02 WRX with springs that I thought was rough until this!

Lol. I have inverted BCs and they are pretty rough also. You don't notice it until you drive a stock suspension car. Like night and day.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 89850

When I bought car all of the struts were shot (there was a sxt strut in the back lol). So idk what stock ride feels like but I do really like my bc coilovers. A little bumpy, but otherwise with money.

TOMTOMR/TSRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Hmm, not a good sign. Not sure what to do at this point.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 13844

If you want to retain the same ride height but better ride quality, go with Koni inserts or Tokico struts. The lowering springs kill stock struts, but the Koni or Tokicos are designed to accommodate lowering springs. This is probably the best method for the price range.

If you want to go lower, and still retain a decent ride quality, go with ST suspension. Designed and built by KW (that also make Mopar) but are built to lower ride height with good street characteristics.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 87931

The ride is harsher then stock, but it is not as bad as others I have felt. I do like the stiffer suspension, but it is not comfy on bad roads. I have mine set at 7 and 5 from softest.
Turbo Laser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

Member Number: 24404

Quote: Originally Posted by uturner View Post
If you want to retain the same ride height but better ride quality, go with Koni inserts or Tokico struts. The lowering springs kill stock struts, but the Koni or Tokicos are designed to accommodate lowering springs. This is probably the best method for the price range.

If you want to go lower, and still retain a decent ride quality, go with ST suspension. Designed and built by KW (that also make Mopar) but are built to lower ride height with good street characteristics.

+1 Koni is the way to go IMO. I had the ACR tokico's, they were ok, but for the price you can get koni inserts which many have said are better.

I have BC's now, I like them, but the car bounces a little. The valving could be a bit better, but TBH it's the springrate that makes them bouncy. If you set them up with a softer springrate they should be perfect for the price. Many have set them up with 5/3k springs and they rode really well. This is true with ANY strut, you increase the springrate you are going to increase the energy that gets transferred into the chassis.

ST's are an idea, but they are a cheap version KW for a reason, don't get hung up on the brand name.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I appreciate all of the feedback guys. What I'm gathering is that there's no way to have ride quality matching what it was stock. There's better ways to try things over others, but either way it's not going to be great.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

Member Number: 24404

Quote: Originally Posted by 99riocobra View Post
I appreciate all of the feedback guys. What I'm gathering is that there's no way to have ride quality matching what it was stock. There's better ways to try things over others, but either way it's not going to be great.

Ride quality is subjective and down to preference. If you like a soft floaty suspension then stock is the way to go. If you want something more responsive you have to sacrifice the 'floaty' and go with stiffer springs and valving. Koni's on S1 springs are a great option. The S1 springrates are not that far off stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement