really don't wanna retro but REALLY don't wanna look like a ricecake... - Page 3 - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > Lighting Modifications

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 03:09 AM   #31 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 12647

Quote: Originally Posted by red2k2rt View Post
what are you hid police now? i chose to put hid's in my stock housings because i wanted to actually be able to see the road at night, but i also chose a kelvin that wouldnt be to bright nor too blue/purple. they dont scatter like you claim,

Yes they do, end of story. It's simple physics. The "focal point" of an HID capsule is in a different location than the filaments of a halogen bulb. The reflector of a stock housing is designed entirely around the precise location of the light source. So yes, it scatters more. You just don't know enough to realize it.

Quote:
they dont blind other drivers like you claim. the reality is you get blinded by idiots in suv's and trucks with hid projectors because of the height of the headlight in relation to your eyes, now that is a fact.

A "fact" is not "something you just made up which sounds good."

Quote:
i drive by cops and state troopers all the time and not one of them has ever said a peep to me about them. part of my commute is at night when daylight savings kicks in and no one complains about being blinded nor do i get flashed for them. the only time they will get swapped over to the dual beam projector set up is when i swap over my front end to the 03 srt bumper. even then i'll still have hid's in my projectors.

You're a self-centered prick.
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 PM   #32 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 69879

Lol who changed the title
Old 12-06-2012, 12:45 AM   #33 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 90353

Yea. I agree with everyone retrofits are the way too go. I have had hids on my acr and to be honest they sucked it was not worth the money for the hids.
SRT148T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #34 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 80379

I was in the same boat looking for some good headlights and imo they all looked cheap and ricey so i decided to do a retro. I went with the fxr projectors which were quite a project for my first retro but were absolutley 100% worth it. LOVE driving at night with these, the width, output, and color is amazing!

Last edited by gearhead89; 12-29-2012 at 01:39 AM.
gearhead89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #35 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 74968

Quote: Originally Posted by gearhead89 View Post
I was in the same boat looking for some good headlights and imo they all looked cheap and ricey so i decided to do a retro. I went with the fxr projectors which were quite a project for my first retro but were absolutley 100% worth it. LOVE driving at night with these, the width, output, and color is amazing!

looks good.. retrofit is the only way to go..
209srt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #36 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 87423

Your not going to find hids or retros for less than 50 dollars
kevin1533 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:19 AM   #37 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Retro was a fun project and well worth the extra $$$
Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #38 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 90174

I think I'm going to get high-quality Halogens for now, and retrofit the FXR's once I've gotten some critical suspension work out of the way. Thanks for the input y'all!

NOW: Velocity Red MS6 GT - one fast mofo.
atx512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:39 PM   #39 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 10522
Lifetime Premium Member

FXR cutoff makes me wet in the pants.

11.21@127.88
Zenkat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #40 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Zenkat View Post
FXR cutoff makes me wet in the pants.

Yeah I love the cutoff. So sexy
Old 01-03-2013, 10:46 AM   #41 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 35070

I think it also stands to reason that there are going to be those who just dont like the way the projector headlights perform. I have had factory vehicles with OEM projectors... BMW, a prowler, Viper, Acura, etc. Some good, some OK, some wondered why they even bothered.

Obviously the lower you are to the ground the more difficult the problem is with being able to see regardless of what setup you use. I have driven a semi with only 2 - 7 inch round sealed halogens that put out better light than most of the cars I have owned simply because they were at least another foot off the ground.

anyway back to the SRT...
If you actually use the OEM headlight and an HID setup aimed at the road right then your light output will be better than stock. If you use aftermarket replacement headlights with HIDs then you will probly get scattered light output and it will still suck. I had this experience since the previous owner of my SRT bought cheapo china look a likes as replacements and the light output looked like a freakin "W", no cutoff, no beam to really speak of at all, crap crap crap, I was like WTF is wrong with my headlights? China junk! Got a set of actually OEMs and now there is an actual beam and cutoff. Added a good set of HIDs, 6K, and I havent been brightlighted not once in over 6 months of driving it since installed. And here in the DFW area people are quick with that flash handle and their car horns, so I know I am not offended many if any at all so whatever. At least I can see whats in front of me.

And the cost of the HID kit was less than a pair of SilverStars...
but in all fairness, now that I have the aftermarket set left laying around, I might at some point try a retro on them. But for now, ricer or not, the HIDs are just better than stock.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 AM   #42 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 80621

Quote: Originally Posted by UbIlln View Post
I think it also stands to reason that there are going to be those who just dont like the way the projector headlights perform. I have had factory vehicles with OEM projectors... BMW, a prowler, Viper, Acura, etc. Some good, some OK, some wondered why they even bothered.

Obviously the lower you are to the ground the more difficult the problem is with being able to see regardless of what setup you use. I have driven a semi with only 2 - 7 inch round sealed halogens that put out better light than most of the cars I have owned simply because they were at least another foot off the ground.

anyway back to the SRT...
If you actually use the OEM headlight and an HID setup aimed at the road right then your light output will be better than stock. If you use aftermarket replacement headlights with HIDs then you will probly get scattered light output and it will still suck. I had this experience since the previous owner of my SRT bought cheapo china look a likes as replacements and the light output looked like a freakin "W", no cutoff, no beam to really speak of at all, crap crap crap, I was like WTF is wrong with my headlights? China junk! Got a set of actually OEMs and now there is an actual beam and cutoff. Added a good set of HIDs, 6K, and I havent been brightlighted not once in over 6 months of driving it since installed. And here in the DFW area people are quick with that flash handle and their car horns, so I know I am not offended many if any at all so whatever. At least I can see whats in front of me.

And the cost of the HID kit was less than a pair of SilverStars...
but in all fairness, now that I have the aftermarket set left laying around, I might at some point try a retro on them. But for now, ricer or not, the HIDs are just better than stock.

you sir need to get into a properly retrofitted car........ the output of the aftermarket hid projectors with quality bulbs walk all over the stock oem gear which usually have whats called a frenzel lens to help diffuse the headlight so the cutoff isnt sharp it makes it better from grandma to drive.... and its like everything else made by oems their biggest concern is cost......
oh and just because you havent been high beamed yet doesnt mean your not throwing light where its not ment to go seriously you need to put halogen bulbs in halogen housings as the shape of hid capsules are way different than the shape of a halogen filament....
i will not drive with a stock set of headlights ever again. HID retrofit all the way

TIRED OF YOUR EGO HARD DATA IS MORE IMPORTANT AND USEFUL TO OTHERS SEEKING KNOWLEDGE AND THOES WANTING TO ADVANCE THE PLATFORM
DONT GET STUCK ON PRECISION TURBOS AND BWS THEY ARE NOT THE END ALL........ OTHER GREAT OPTIONS EXIST DO SOME RESEARCH DON'T BE A SHEEP

Last edited by loroku; 01-04-2013 at 12:26 AM.
loroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #43 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

well for the arguement here is a pic of my HID's in OEM headlight housings... there is enough cutoff that if you adjust them correctly they wont blind anyone... and vs. the price difference I will just keep HID's in mine for now.

Old 02-08-2013, 05:36 AM   #44 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 80621

your going to have all your light in your forgeound and a. little to no light will actually get put where you need it on top. of the fact that u do not have a high beam...

TIRED OF YOUR EGO HARD DATA IS MORE IMPORTANT AND USEFUL TO OTHERS SEEKING KNOWLEDGE AND THOES WANTING TO ADVANCE THE PLATFORM
DONT GET STUCK ON PRECISION TURBOS AND BWS THEY ARE NOT THE END ALL........ OTHER GREAT OPTIONS EXIST DO SOME RESEARCH DON'T BE A SHEEP
loroku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #45 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Default really don't wanna retro but REALLY don't wanna look like a ricecake...

It does have a high beam bulb for legal sake but it isn't much, but that doesn't matter and I don't know what your talking about since the light output is fine and puts it right where it needs to be. Retros might be great if your willing to spend literally hundreds but at under $40 you can't beat HID's in OEM headlights.

Sent from
Advertisement