The Next SRT-4? Dodge Dart - Page 3 - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > General Car Discussion > General Car Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #31 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 759
Default new dart.

I am going to look at this way. we are in 2011 going on 12. The tech that is going in cars these days, are leaps and bounds ahead of what they had back in 2003 when the first srt4 came out.
Dodge TRIED to keep some of the majic alive by making an srt4 version out of the caliber, wich of course failed big time, even more on looks.

To me this car looks like it is going to be what we have been waiting for from dodge, a nice compact to compete with what is out now.

I am just going to be sitting here on the sidelines waiting to see the final version. When and if they come out with an srt-4 model, I will still wait to see what it is going to be capable of.

I already know what is going to be under this car, ( suspension) and am very excited to hopefully start seeing how much better I can make one handle.

Remember Ralph G is in charge of SRT now. He is a motor head, he races, and better yet, he still owns a neon srt 4.

So I am very sure he knows what all of us are going to want in the new car.
manny z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #32 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 86430

Here's a link to Dart based website setup by Allpar (I believe):

2013 Dodge Dart: the hot upcoming compact car

Several pre-production interior pics, along with an uncovered front end photo (not a rendering).

For me, my two biggest areas of concern are weight and cost.

I know that many safety features are now required, however if this C segment car weighs in at 3100-3200 lbs. then it just won't cut it. While based on the AFG, the chassis is being lengthened and widened for the North American market. Along with several statements from Dodge claiming to be the widest, longest and tallest car in the segment, really leads me to believe this car might be a bit of porker compared to some of it's competition. However, the body went from a 5 door hatch, to a 4 door sedan, so maybe that will offset some of the weight brought on from the chassis enlargement.

As far as cost is concerned, that's one reason the Caliber failed where the Neon really succeeded. Sure, the NSRT-4 cost nearly double of a base model Neon, but at around $20k was the best performance car for your buck, period.

The CSRT-4 on the other hand was over $30k base and well equipped around $34k, which was Charger R/T territory. For the market the CSRT-4 was aimed for, it was just priced way out of reach, and well above better quality offerings from the competition.

Rumor has it that the Dart will base around 15-16k, with R/T models around 21-22k, which would probably put an SRT closer to 27k. In order to succeed at that price point, it really does need to be better than the WRX and MazdaSpeed offerings.
4FishLimit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:18 PM   #33 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 54207

Quote: Originally Posted by 4FishLimit View Post

Rumor has it that the Dart will base around 15-16k, with R/T models around 21-22k, which would probably put an SRT closer to 27k. In order to succeed at that price point, it really does need to be better than the WRX and MazdaSpeed offerings.

id be happy with comparable to the wrx. since the evo is going hybrid dodge has an opening to be subarus direct competitor with this car.

Holy shit people it's not that hard...
SELL - "i would like to SELL an item"
SALE - "i have this item for SALE"
RacingShoeBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:11 PM   #34 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 86430

Quote: Originally Posted by RacingShoeBox View Post
id be happy with comparable to the wrx. since the evo is going hybrid dodge has an opening to be subarus direct competitor with this car.

Oh, I agree 100%, but if an SRT variant of the Dart is priced closer to an STI, and doesn't come with AWD, then good luck.

That being said, if an SRT version was priced more inline with a well equipped WRX, I wouldn't mind an FWD only version, as a well sorted FWD car can easily go toe to toe against a comparable AWD car, while being more efficient.
4FishLimit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #35 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 63423

Quote: Originally Posted by 4FishLimit View Post
Here's a link to Dart based website setup by Allpar (I believe):

2013 Dodge Dart: the hot upcoming compact car

Several pre-production interior pics, along with an uncovered front end photo (not a rendering).

For me, my two biggest areas of concern are weight and cost.

I know that many safety features are now required, however if this C segment car weighs in at 3100-3200 lbs. then it just won't cut it. While based on the AFG, the chassis is being lengthened and widened for the North American market. Along with several statements from Dodge claiming to be the widest, longest and tallest car in the segment, really leads me to believe this car might be a bit of porker compared to some of it's competition. However, the body went from a 5 door hatch, to a 4 door sedan, so maybe that will offset some of the weight brought on from the chassis enlargement.

As far as cost is concerned, that's one reason the Caliber failed where the Neon really succeeded. Sure, the NSRT-4 cost nearly double of a base model Neon, but at around $20k was the best performance car for your buck, period.

The CSRT-4 on the other hand was over $30k base and well equipped around $34k, which was Charger R/T territory. For the market the CSRT-4 was aimed for, it was just priced way out of reach, and well above better quality offerings from the competition.

Im surprised that Allpar is inaccurate with this story. I really hope they were using Canadian dollars, because this just isnt right if they're referring to the U.S. The CSRT came in fully loaded at way less then 34k, shoot even 30k. Fully loaded the csrt was maybe around 27-28k. Base models could be had for around 22k. And that was brand new, which a very small percentage bought them when they first came out, and at MSRP for that matter. The Dart SRT-4 barring anything unforseen will be within 19-25k. LOL at them saying 30k for a base CSRT......
ErickSRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #36 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 32732
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by desertsoldier22 View Post
The Dart was not a muscle car, it was an entry level small car just like the Neon. The vast majority of Darts, Dusters and Valiants were sold with Slant Six engines that made less than 150hp. The exceptions were the Dart 340, Swinger and the Demon; even those compared to a stock Neon SRT-4 were considerably slower. Lets not start bringing back the ole muscle car fairy tales. I will gaurantee you even a base level New Dart would run circles around a stock old Dart of any trim.

Obviously, you need a bit of a history lesson There were other flavors, too, but this one was the most extreme out of the factory door.

1968 Hurst Hemi Dart

"No one has more turbo Dodge calibration experience, this side of the factory"

nemiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #37 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 86276

Idk what y'all guys think but I don't like this new car
Tonysrt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #38 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 842

Quote: Originally Posted by nemiro View Post
Obviously, you need a bit of a history lesson There were other flavors, too, but this one was the most extreme out of the factory door.

1968 Hurst Hemi Dart

Ditto that. Heres some info on the Duster: 1971 Plymouth Valiant Duster Images, Information and History | Conceptcarz.com

Quote:
The car was positioned to compete with the Chevrolet Nova. In 1970 Plymouth introduced their Plymouth Valiant Duster. It could be purchased in the later part of September, 1969. During its first year, Plymouth sold 217,192 Duster cars. 24,817 were outfitted with the 340 cubic-inch engine. At a base price of $2,172 the Duster was a phenomenal purchase. The base engine was a 198 cubic-inch six-cylinder engine that produced 125 horsepower. The 225 cubic-inch six-cylinder engine raised the horsepower rating to 145. Two 8-cylinder engines were available, the 318 and 340 cubic inch. The 318 produced 230 horsepower while the 340 produced 275. With the 340, the Duster could race from zero-to-sixty in the low 6's with the quarter mile time of around 14.7.

Though not as extreme as the Hemi Dart, the Duster is near and dear to my heart. My dad picked up a new '71 Duster for my mom to drive. A few years later, my mom gave it to me and my brother to drive to school, etc.

It was a complete sleeper. Green with black interior. No power anything. No A/C. In fact, you had to open little doors in the footwells to get ventilation. It was around $2K new, 318 motor, automatic, RWD. With no options or safety features (other than seat belts) it was extremely light.

It was a great stop light racer. I could beat all but two cars at my high school. Surprised the heck out of many people. I remember taking it up to 100 mph, and it would start floating across the highway as air got up underneath it. Aerodynamics were not so hot back then. LOL

Cheap. Great performance bargain. Minimum features and options. Sound familiar?
SRT4Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #39 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 67102

Dodge should just make a rwd 4 cylinder turbo car. Show Toyota/Subaru and Hyundai how its done.
ges311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #40 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 59274

I like to think the new Dart looks like a reincarnated, updated Neon, somewhere the Neon could not have gone naturally. ..this justifies the Caliber years. another turbo 2.4? .. stage kits?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #41 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 77737

im taking a guess but i really think the srt4 version will be a 2.4l turbo also. At some point people will try using it in the neonsrt4 ;]

Just wish when it does come it wont be that expensive <25k. RWD or AWD would be killer and three different transmissions tells me they'll definitely have a solid tranny too..

Looking forward to this!
ahmed24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #42 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 86067

Quote: Originally Posted by SRT4Real View Post
Ditto that. Heres some info on the Duster: 1971 Plymouth Valiant Duster Images, Information and History | Conceptcarz.com

Though not as extreme as the Hemi Dart, the Duster is near and dear to my heart. My dad picked up a new '71 Duster for my mom to drive. A few years later, my mom gave it to me and my brother to drive to school, etc.

It was a complete sleeper. Green with black interior. No power anything. No A/C. In fact, you had to open little doors in the footwells to get ventilation. It was around $2K new, 318 motor, automatic, RWD. With no options or safety features (other than seat belts) it was extremely light.

It was a great stop light racer. I could beat all but two cars at my high school. Surprised the heck out of many people. I remember taking it up to 100 mph, and it would start floating across the highway as air got up underneath it. Aerodynamics were not so hot back then. LOL

Cheap. Great performance bargain. Minimum features and options. Sound familiar?

I really didnt feel like arguing with this guy LOL! I know what I was talking about ....and for the record... MUSCLE CAR! HAHA!
FORCEFED7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:17 AM   #43 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 86067

Quote: Originally Posted by nemiro View Post

1968 Hurst Hemi Dart

I love history lessons
FORCEFED7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 AM   #44 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Member Number: 11888
Lifetime Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by ErickSRT4 View Post
Im surprised that Allpar is inaccurate with this story.

Allpar generally does a pretty good job, but you have to remember that it is still an enthusiast contributor site, meaning from time to time they will end up having the wrong info. I've corrected them once in an SRT article they had up, if you see something you know is wrong you just contact them and they update it
Old 12-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #45 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 42633

I don't need a history lesson, I own a '70 340 Swinger. With bias ply tires she is lucky to get low 15's, and if you dyno that old 340 on a modern dyno you are lucky to get 200 whp. She has leaf springs all around, an AM radio, no AC, body on frame, four wheel drum brakes and no power steering. Even for 1970, the Dart was a basic econobox. It was far from a Charger or a Plymouth GTX in terms of availiable features and power. The Hurst Hemi Darts were limited run (less than 50 made) tuner specials, like Yenko Camaros and SC/Ramblers so they really don't count.

The Dart has more in common with a Neon as far as its place in the model lineup than a Charger. Therefor a cheap $20,000 (about $2300 in 1970 dollars...a stock slant-six Dart was $2100) basic form of transportation with a sporting fun to drive character, aggresive looks with excellent fuel economy is a fitting car to carry out the Dart name...in any case, what were you going to call it? The Omni?

If they make a AWD 300hp turbo Dart, then I don't see any complaint about tarnishing the Dart name.
Advertisement