Motor Trend dynos new Evo and new STI side by side - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > General Car Discussion > General Car Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 11854
Default Motor Trend dynos new Evo and new STI side by side

Thought I'd share for anyone interested. In the March issue of MT. Testing was dne on the K & N Engineering AWD dynos.

STI averaged 255 whp and 278 foot lbs.

Evo averaged 245 whp and 259 ft lbs.

If I remember right, the dynos at K & N are dynojets. I think Sport Compact Car used to do their Ultimate Street Car shootouts there too for the dyno portion

SRT-4 interiors are teh slow , but man I do miss my Neon!
bast525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 29605

wow, that's weaksauce
SNOOPALOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 19054

So the sti is ligther and makes more power but somehow lost in acceleration in the recent shootout. But yeah, that is really weak. Plus, Snoopaloop is a fag.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

^ Troof
Old 02-08-2008, 12:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 11854

um... at 245 and 255 they are more or less spot on with the manufacturers ratings, figuring 15ish percent drivetrain loss (which is REALLY good for AWD which typically sees more like 20 percent loss).

Mustang GT's are rated 300 and typically put down like 255-265 stock on dynojets from what I've seen.

Also, Im betting the STI's slower aceleration is at last partially due to it having a short geared six speed vs. the Evo's 5 speed, meaning an extra shift to get to 60 and another to get thru the 1/4. An extra shift typically adds .3-.5 seconds to measured accel times.

SRT-4 interiors are teh slow , but man I do miss my Neon!
bast525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

No way a shift adds .5 seconds, it takes about .2 seconds to shift a car quickly if you are putting any kind of effort into it. And I don't think it needs an extra shift through the quarter, just to 60, but I could be wrong (doubt it though, they more than likely both do it in 4th.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

and it's pretty sad that a car that is going to cost you 40k out the door (don't know why everyone says the sti isn't a 40k car, at 36k you will pay about 4k in ttl, so IT IS a 40k car, as is an evo) makes as much power as a 23k ms3 with a cai and less power than a caliber srt4 which costs 23k. And I don't want to hear this b.s. awd, techno computer crap, thats not worth 15k. The last evo rs was 27k and made the same amount of horsepower, except it was faster in every imaginable way. This is exactly how japan fucked up in the 90's, I gurantee the same thing happens again, they are pricing themselves into bmw and porsche territory, somewhere they dont want to be (not to mention slightly used m3's and corvettes). I find it hard to believe alot of people will be buying these once the 135i comes out right in this price range, I gurantee it wins every mag comparo, because bimmer always does.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member
SRT of the Month

Member Number: 17860

very sad... i'd rather find a used evo 8 or sti...

Buy my shit!!! http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f416...px-etc-632205/
DYAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Don't forget the STI is tuned for 93 octane.. so in cali you're f'd
Old 02-08-2008, 12:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by DJOrtiz View Post
very sad... i'd rather find a used evo 8 or sti...

meh, I think the evo iv is by far the best evo made to this day, 1200 bucks in mods or so and you run 11's, plus it will out handle anything you try and put in front of it. An evo just won the time attack challenge again at willow springs, set the record, which is set last year, by like 4 seconds. It was in this months scc.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

thanks for the new sig snoop.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 13063

Quote: Originally Posted by x'ed View Post
meh, I think the evo iv is by far the best evo made to this day, 1200 bucks in mods or so and you run 11's, plus it will out handle anything you try and put in front of it. An evo just won the time attack challenge again at willow springs, set the record, which is set last year, by like 4 seconds. It was in this months scc.

Every tuner who's gotten the car has said it's more mod friendly than the IX. Check the evom forums they're drooling all over the car. the 4b11 is a great motor so far. It's also a better handling car by alot .99g's on the skidpad. so ya if that makes the ix better then sure
GAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 3797

All the EVO X needs is a bigger turbo and a lower price.
enginjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by GAngel View Post
Every tuner who's gotten the car has said it's more mod friendly than the IX. Check the evom forums they're drooling all over the car. the 4b11 is a great motor so far. It's also a better handling car by alot .99g's on the skidpad. so ya if that makes the ix better then sure

the ix pulled the same g's.So you must have missed the article from last month in one of the car rags where the ix completely handed the x it's ass on a platter around a race track, same with the video on you tube at tskuba. The ix weighs alot less, its a better handling car. The highest g's I have seen on the x is .97, not .99, but that really isn't the be all end all when it comes to handling. The x is not anywhere near "better handling by alot" I don't even know what would give you that impression.

The 2007 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR: Mr. Momentum

from the article.

The Evo is entirely capable of instigating a frenzy of forward acceleration that could last for hours, but that would mean forgoing half the fun. Sprinting at a quick clip through the curves and lopping those apexes right off the sweepers–generating lateral g-forces is just as galvanizing. Capable of pulling 0.98 g’s on the skidpad, the Evo is easily as proficient–and passionate–tearing through the twisties as it is overtaking on the freeway.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 53422

Quote: Originally Posted by SNOOPALOOP View Post
Don't forget the STI is tuned for 93 octane.. so in cali you're f'd

Well who the hell wants to live in cali anyways with their watered down gas, gay emission regulations, and they have a movie star as a governor. Cali FTL.

PS. Virginia isnt that much better but at least we get 93 octane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement