Focus ST - who's run one? - Page 3 - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > General Car Discussion > General Car Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #31 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 3797

Quote: Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
Don't make up your mind based on one run. Here are five time slips, every one at 99+ mph (which is what my SRT-4 turned stock).

That car has an exhaust, so it's not stock, but considering the really crappy 60ft times, that is pretty good. I figure a stock car with a catback will get a few hp on the top end, like 10 to 20 or so.
enginjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #32 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 60887

Quote: Originally Posted by BigMac View Post
Don't make up your mind based on one run. Here are five time slips, every one at 99+ mph (which is what my SRT-4 turned stock).

Trust me I didn't make up my mind after watching one run, I looked online at the reviews and test and none of them ran in the 13's stock all were 14.4 at around 97mph. I'm not saying it's quick for what it is but not blistering fast especially for being 10yrs newer than our cars. Hell even I ran a 13.8 at 102 bone stock down to the tires.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:17 PM   #33 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 18060

Quote: Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
True and it shows what great car the NSRT-4 was/is. The Focus ST is some new competition.

Random thoughts:

It's price is the same as the SRT-4 was if you adjust for inflation and it's got, up to what we've seen now, similar performance with more comfort and amenities.

For me, the only thing it doesn't have over the GTI is an auto trans option.

If it came down to the Powershift or no auto trans, they made the right choice.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:28 AM   #34 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 5369

I thrashed an ST around the auto-x course that Ford put on for their intro events around the country last month and the car isnít too bad. I don't think I'll be getting rid of either of my SVT Focus for one but it is a nice car that would likely make a great daily driver. As for a track car with no true limited slip and the stability control it felt heavily torque managed going around the cones. While very good I'm almost certain even from those short track drives that my '08+ Cobalt SS would eat it alive on a road course or short auto-x.

If they brought over the ST wagon I could make a personal case to myself for one otherwise I'm holding out to see what the next RS model turns out to be (the Fiesta or Focus) and when we'll (finally) get it. Iím guessing this will be around the time the Dart SRT-4 should be out and possibly GM will get their act together by then and we'll also have a Cruze SS coupe or hatch based around the old Cobalt SS Turbo powertrain and underpinnings. A Focus RS would have me pulling my checkbook out but not this new ST model. Same with a Dart SRT-4 model thatís really quick in the quarter-mile but doesnít handle. The next SRT-4 needs to be a complete package.

One thing that has become common over the years is for a lot of people on here to compare the quarter-mile times of new cars like the Focus ST to the Neon SRT-4 and then proclaim things like XYZ car sucks because it took so-and-so manufacturer years just to match the numbers of a ten model year old car like the Neon. The Focus ST might very well only put down times close to that of a stock Neon SRT-4 on the same track, same driver, same day conditions but that isn't so bad when you consider the way better chassis, fit and finish, features, safety, handling, etc. and other significant improvements in the Focus along with a starting price that isnít too much higher than the $21-23k Neon SRT-4s were stickering at in 2005.
blackbird_R/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #35 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

I was wrong about the weight and that looks like it makes a difference. 3242lbs...yuck.

Here's the road and track article. They think it's better than the ms3 and gti.

2013 Ford Focus ST vs. 2012 Volkswagen GTI vs. 2012 Mazdaspeed 3 ? Hot Hatchback Comparison Test ? RoadandTrack.com
Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #36 (permalink)
Premium Member
2011 Calendar Car

Member Number: 25570
Premium Member

For the price I would go for the V6 mustang. They run very low 14's stock.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 PM   #37 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by Double J View Post
For the price I would go for the V6 mustang. They run very low 14's stock.

It won't run that at altitude, but if you are near sea level it will. It doesn't have 4 doors and the back seat is a joke.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #38 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by blackbird_R/T View Post
If they brought over the ST wagon I could make a personal case to myself for one otherwise I'm holding out to see what the next RS model turns out to be (the Fiesta or Focus) and when we'll (finally) get it.

Uh oh...

Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 AM   #39 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Rut roh!
Old 11-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 75930

my buddy's basic bolt on caliber SRT beat our other friends stock ST by 2 cars from a roll
BoostAcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #41 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by BoostAcr View Post
my buddy's basic bolt on caliber SRT beat our other friends stock ST by 2 cars from a roll

Not too surprising since they weigh about the same and stock for stock the Caliber has the bigger engine and a power advantage. The ones I've driven haven't been too bad in a straight line but when the roads starts turning left and right the chassis can't hold a candle to the Focus. With a stock K03 turbo you probably aren't going to be buying a Focus ST for drag racing but some early tuning results (SCT already offers tuning support) shows there is a little headroom left if you want to tweak the car a bit.

Last edited by blackbird_R/T; 11-04-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: remove: either; add: is
Old 11-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #42 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 75930

Quote: Originally Posted by blackbird_R/T View Post
Not too surprising since they weigh about the same and stock for stock the Caliber has the bigger engine and a power advantage. The ones I've driven haven't been too bad in a straight line either but when the roads starts turning left and right the chassis can't hold a candle to the Focus. With a stock K03 turbo you probably aren't going to be buying a Focus ST for drag racing but some early tuning results (SCT already offers tuning support) shows there a little headroom left if you want to tweak the car a bit.

i wasnt too surprised by the results either lol. i think a lot of people are more worried about power/straight line results around here. I agree the focus would kill in the twisties.
BoostAcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #43 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 46710

The ST is a good FWD platform even it is slightly slower in the straights but I'm surprised that Ford hasn't brought over their AWD WRC RS, or at least that platform to compete with the WRX. I feal like that would be a big seller for people that want an alternative to their RWD sport cars.

Last edited by A-Town SRT; 11-08-2012 at 04:18 PM.
A-Town SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #44 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 85390

My neighbor bought one.. metalic silver st. raced him for the heck of it..

wasn't really much of a race, 0-60, roll or otherwise.. but... I can see some possiblities if the aftermarket gets going.

Would be a great DD though.... easy to live with on a daily basis.
Magnum Swap, 5-speed 157whp/145wtq
SRT4night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #45 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by A-Town SRT View Post
The ST is a good FWD platform even it is slightly slower in the straights but I'm surprised that Ford hasn't brought over their AWD WRC RS, or at least that platform to compete with the WRX. I feal like that would be a big seller for people that want an alternative to their RWD sport cars.

The problem with that is the driveline of the rally cars are nowhere near the same as the production cars and likely cost well into the six-figure range with a race-only driveline. The 2002 SVT Focus and the European ST170 version, the European turbocharged, wide-track 2002 Focus RS, the European turbocharged 2005+ Focus ST and the last European turbocharged 2009 Focus RS have all been front wheel drive. You'd have to go back to some of the Cosworth RS models to find an all-wheel drive setup.

The Focus has grown slightly in size, features and additional safety equipment and chassis change which have all added weight. To do an AWD system right would require a system that can actively bias torque on the rear axle otherwise you end up with an understeering mess no better and in some aspects worse than a front driver whose main advantage is traction if you're willing to abuse the heck out of the driveline to get a good launch.

Haldex's fourth-generation all-wheel drive, XWD (cross-wheel drive) is probably one of the simplest and compact systems that can transfer torque between the wheels on demand and even that system normally adds 160-200 pounds with required changes and additional driveline components. Even that system would take the Focus up to 3400-3500 pounds optioned similarly to the current front drive RS. I'd much rather have a quicker, lighter, and less expensive front drive Fiesta or Focus RS with Ford's RevoKnuckle suspension which if you follow the European press did pretty well against cars like the hot versions of the Mitsu Evo they get in Europe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement