Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Oceanside, Cali
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So, what cars are on the list and why? Without further ado, here is the 2004 Lemon List
1) Subaru Impreza-I was surprised to see this car rise to the #1 position, as Subaru has generally enjoyed a loyal and well deserved reputation for quality. The number one complaint involved the ABS system, specifically that brakes were sensitive over bumps and in wet weather. Other issues involved engine hesitation and shuddering and the inability to shift gears.
2) Infiniti I35 -The big complaint here is the front end. Consumers have complained that the front end pulls dangerously when on bumpy or uneven roads.
3) Audi A4-You may remember a past column I wrote regarding the ignition coil problem,, which has generated a significant amount of complaints. Consumers have complained that the check engine light came on quite often, that the engine shuddered and stalls, and for some, left them stranded. Also, issues involving poor operation of the braking system were complained of by consumers.
4) The Ford Escape-The Escape dropped from #1 to #4, with stalling becoming a major complaint this year. Other complaints include electrical concerns, doors opening while driving and water leaks.
5) Ford Focus-Jumped up one notch from #6 last year. Consumers complained of problems with airbags-either not deploying at impact or deploying for no reason. Consumers also complained of stalling conditions, odors and fumes coming from the HVAC system, and the vehicle shaking and shuddering.
6) Acura RSX-Consumers with manual transmissions are complaining the transmission has a hard time getting out of gear, especially when shifting between 2nd and 3rd, and often pops out. Consumers also complain of problems with the airbag sensors and the check engine light.
7) Pontiac Aztek-Consumers have complained of engine problems-with theengine idling and the check engine light coming on. Other complaintsinclude brakes locking up, cars moving forward when trans is in reverse and noises in the steering wheel.[
8) Ford Excursion-The Excursion moves from #4 to #8. Although not one of Ford's top sellers, it still generates complaints from consumers. Consumers have complained of the truck stalling, significant electrical problems and water leaks.
9) Mitsubishi Eclipse -The Eclipse moves from #5 to #9. Consumers complained of airbags not deploying at impact, the engine shutting down while driving, and problems with the clutch wearing out under 15,000 miles.
10) Jeep Liberty-The youngest model on the list. Last year, another Jeep, the Grand Cherokee, was in the top 10, but it dropped significantly this year. Airbags are also among consumers' complaints with the Liberty-consumers have said that airbags do not always deploy when needed. Many consumers also complained about stalling conditions and other engine-related problems.