LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The 2004 Lemon List

The 2004 Lemon List

Thanks to the efforts of the Center for Auto Safety, we are able to provide you with the vehicle complaints on file with the National Highway for Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Each year, thousands of Americans call their government to register complaints about their vehicles. The federal government collects this information but has never released it to the general public. The complaint index is based on a ratio of the number of complaints for each vehicle to the sales of that vehicle. For more information on the NHTSA consumer complaint database, click here.

MODEL COMPLAINT INDEX RATIO

Subaru Impreza

Infiniti I35

Audi A4

Ford Escape

Ford Focus

Acura RSX

Pontiac Aztek

Ford Excursion

Mitsubishi Eclipse

Jeep Liberty

Chevrolet Corvette

Chevrolet Blazer

Suzuki Grand Vitara

Volkswagen Passat

Honda Insight

Volkswagen Jetta

Acura TL

Suzuki Vitara

Land Rover Freelander

Audi A6

Dodge Caravan

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Honda S2000

GMC Yukon

Dodge Neon <---
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 04:44 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow it's almost the same as the 03 list was........some of the top guy's switched position though

"Necessity is the plea for infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt

Federalist Papers

Reverend of The Universal Life Church
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, what cars are on the list and why? Without further ado, here is the 2004 Lemon List

1) Subaru Impreza-I was surprised to see this car rise to the #1 position, as Subaru has generally enjoyed a loyal and well deserved reputation for quality. The number one complaint involved the ABS system, specifically that brakes were sensitive over bumps and in wet weather. Other issues involved engine hesitation and shuddering and the inability to shift gears.

2) Infiniti I35 -The big complaint here is the front end. Consumers have complained that the front end pulls dangerously when on bumpy or uneven roads.

3) Audi A4-You may remember a past column I wrote regarding the ignition coil problem,, which has generated a significant amount of complaints. Consumers have complained that the check engine light came on quite often, that the engine shuddered and stalls, and for some, left them stranded. Also, issues involving poor operation of the braking system were complained of by consumers.

4) The Ford Escape-The Escape dropped from #1 to #4, with stalling becoming a major complaint this year. Other complaints include electrical concerns, doors opening while driving and water leaks.

5) Ford Focus-Jumped up one notch from #6 last year. Consumers complained of problems with airbags-either not deploying at impact or deploying for no reason. Consumers also complained of stalling conditions, odors and fumes coming from the HVAC system, and the vehicle shaking and shuddering.

6) Acura RSX-Consumers with manual transmissions are complaining the transmission has a hard time getting out of gear, especially when shifting between 2nd and 3rd, and often pops out. Consumers also complain of problems with the airbag sensors and the check engine light.

7) Pontiac Aztek-Consumers have complained of engine problems-with theengine idling and the check engine light coming on. Other complaintsinclude brakes locking up, cars moving forward when trans is in reverse and noises in the steering wheel.[

8) Ford Excursion-The Excursion moves from #4 to #8. Although not one of Ford's top sellers, it still generates complaints from consumers. Consumers have complained of the truck stalling, significant electrical problems and water leaks.

9) Mitsubishi Eclipse -The Eclipse moves from #5 to #9. Consumers complained of airbags not deploying at impact, the engine shutting down while driving, and problems with the clutch wearing out under 15,000 miles.

10) Jeep Liberty-The youngest model on the list. Last year, another Jeep, the Grand Cherokee, was in the top 10, but it dropped significantly this year. Airbags are also among consumers' complaints with the Liberty-consumers have said that airbags do not always deploy when needed. Many consumers also complained about stalling conditions and other engine-related problems.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:18 PM
SRTforums Member

One of the bigger complaints for the 2001 Neon (which I own)

"WHEN STARTING THE VEHICLE STEERING WHEEL CAME OFF INTO THE OWNER'S HANDS. "

LMAO.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Leo
SRTforums Member

that is funny.

Don't get in the way of Hotpants.
Nothing is faster than Hotpants.
Nobody does it like hotpants.
Kick ass with hotpants!
Do you know hotpants?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 09:15 PM
SRTforums Member

4) The Ford Escape-The Escape dropped from #1 to #4, with stalling becoming a major complaint this year. Other complaints include electrical concerns, doors opening while driving and water leaks.

...and the excessive amount of plastic on the vehicle.

People with a strong aversion to metal will love the vehicle, all others should stay the hell away!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 03:25 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemidakota
2) Infiniti I35 -The big complaint here is the front end. Consumers have complained that the front end pulls dangerously when on bumpy or uneven roads.
Hmmm, luxury car drivers don't like torque steer, so it makes their car a lemon. Right...

It's kind of like how the Hummer doesn't do well in the JD Power Initial Quality survey’s because the owners say "they use too much gas".

Eric H. - '04 Neon SRT-4 (eBlue/S2) - '04 SRT-4 (blk/stock)
'92 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T --- -- '91 Dodge Spirit R/T
plus a couple other turbo Dodges, a Cobalt, a couple Focus, a V-wagon, and some other stuff...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 05:37 AM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird_R/T
Hmmm, luxury car drivers don't like torque steer, so it makes their car a lemon. Right...

It's kind of like how the Hummer doesn't do well in the JD Power Initial Quality survey’s because the owners say "they use too much gas".
Sorry bro but there is still a difference between torque steer and pulling DANGEROUSLY (key word) on bumpy roads when not even at full throttle....

2004 Silver SRT-4
2012 Carbon Steel Gray Golf R
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 06:28 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they sometimes call it "Beaming."

Thinking of starting a "scammed by" thread? If you sent the paypal as a "gift" don't even bother... no one feels sorry for you.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 06:06 PM
SRTforums Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I could careless about these lists. After reading the problems people had in the 2003 list I thought it was more funny then anything. Because 75% of the people out there have no clue when it comes to cars but they know that they are right. Hell my ex gf had a brand new Olds Alero. She was trying to file it under the lemon law because she diesn't think it was fast enough and because the rear speakers blew.

What? It's just a Cadillac
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 06:23 PM
SRTforums Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I'm trying to lemon law my SRT cause the rear power windows don't work.......

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get rich quick theory of life.
-Theodore Roosevelt-

Every generation needs a new revolution.
-Thomas Jefferson-
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2005, 07:03 PM
SRTforums Member

FYI, being at the top of that list is good, being at the bottom is bad. Google "comlaint index ratio" - you'll have to go through several pages :/ .

It means vehicles per complaint.

In other words, take the total number sold, and divide by the number of complaints recieved. The smaller the result, the more frequently the complaints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode