Water under car, exhaust leak? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > SRT-4 Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 41285
Default Water under car, exhaust leak?

I noticed the last couple of days when i start my car i get a basketball sized pool of water(condensation) directly under the mid pip of my exhaust. I went underneath and saw drops of condenstation coming down from a clamp. This is a exhaust leak right? it only does it on start up when its cold and moisture escaped through the the leaking clamp.

Also would my exhaust leak cause my power to be lower because of back pressure being effected?

Thanks in advance....

Jordan
Four Banger Anger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 21292

are you using your A/C???

Scammed BY: daytonagts on 11/05 for $80+S&H

Scammed BY: Kustomatic on 4/06 for $250
leepen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 37411

yes it is an exhaust leak...losing back pressure on a turbo car will never decrease power, the turbo provides more backpressure than ever needed. a leak like that however may cause turbulence in the exhaust flow therefore a power loss...

Balls Deep Racing - Member #4
Alabama Black Snake
NMSRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 37050

Lol, It is NOT an exhaust leak. Usually if there is any type of condensation in the exhaust that isn't good. More likely a cooling problem than an exhaust problem. But that is NOT the case. Your A/C condenser will 'condensate' and create water on the outside of this. This inturn runs down pipes and chutes and latters and ends up as a wet spot in your garage.

50 Trim + Diablosport =
lphooper03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 36285

its ur evap draining down ur exhaust
BLKDOUTSRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

rarely use AC, i think its a exhaust leak, since i had a major boost the last couple of days could that of caused the drip of condensation from the pipe?

Jordan
Old 08-12-2006, 09:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 37411

a byproduct of combustion is H2O...water out the tailpipes is normal and basic chemistry. if it is in fact coming from the connection of the mid pipe it could be an exhaust leak

Balls Deep Racing - Member #4
Alabama Black Snake
NMSRT4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

thankyou sir, i must say its hard to ever get a straight answer for anything...everyone seems to one up the next guy
Old 08-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 33036

mine did the same thing until I tightened the clamp. you are talking about the clamp that is about even with the front part of the back door, midsection of the car?
Hi N Mity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

ya correct, same locations where the clamp is.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

But an exhaust leak coming from the car when it is cold? How cold is the car? I mean like the ambient temp? If it is REALLY cold then yes I could see the water running down, but do you know how BIG of an exhaust leak you would need in order to have so much water run down to make a basketball size puddle. Still sounds like A/C to me, even though you say you might not use it that much. If it IS really cold, it could be some sort of frost on the o2 pipe that is running down.

50 Trim + Diablosport =
Old 08-13-2006, 12:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by NMSRT4
a byproduct of combustion is H2O...water out the tailpipes is normal and basic chemistry. if it is in fact coming from the connection of the mid pipe it could be an exhaust leak

Yes, water out of the 'tailpipes' not out of a leak in between the o2 housing and the downpipe or the downpipe and the engine. I don't believe how an exhaust leak could cause that much water to come pouring down the exhaust. Yes, I do know that h2o is a reaction of combustion in an engine, but by god....that is a lot of water.

50 Trim + Diablosport =
Old 08-13-2006, 08:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 447

Quote: Originally Posted by lphooper03

Yes, water out of the 'tailpipes' not out of a leak in between the o2 housing and the downpipe or the downpipe and the engine. I don't believe how an exhaust leak could cause that much water to come pouring down the exhaust. Yes, I do know that h2o is a reaction of combustion in an engine, but by god....that is a lot of water.

Between condensation and normal H2O production that is pretty normal, especially in monsoon season.

If you're that concerned about an exhaust leak then get under there (by god have the ebrake set and in neutral) and listen for excessive ticking in the exhaust track.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 31486

a byproduct of combustion is H2O...water out the tailpipes is normal and basic chemistry.

water's not a byproduct of combustion. It is widely assumed though due to the amount of water vapor in the air mixture used for combustion, that's where it comes from. It's merely a spectator molecule and will only undergo phase changes. And yes...i'm a chemist....and yes...a big fat nerd.
Prothane inserts
Speedmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 10:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 447

Quote: Originally Posted by Speedmojo
a byproduct of combustion is H2O...water out the tailpipes is normal and basic chemistry.

water's not a byproduct of combustion. It is widely assumed though due to the amount of water vapor in the air mixture used for combustion, that's where it comes from. It's merely a spectator molecule and will only undergo phase changes. And yes...i'm a chemist....and yes...a big fat nerd.

SRTForums. Home of hair splitting.
Advertisement