Unplug TPS and problem solved - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unplug TPS and problem solved

I had a bad idle since I bought the car in 2004. I searched the forums to get all the possible reasons for a bad idle and came out with many reasons.

Now I think I might have found the issue but need a confimation from the gurus here. If I unplug my TPS sensor, the idle problem dissapear. The engine will almost stall but recovers and after that everything is fine at idle. Of course this makes the PCM freak and throw a P0123 but I know how to reset this. If I plug it back, the problem comes back instantly.

I do not have a sticky tach or any weird issues besides the car having a hard starts and bad idle.

I replaced the IAC already and did the rewire on the TPS. I didn't change anything but when I wiggled all the wires it woudn't make the car idle better or worse anways.

I think it is the TPS sensor itself but can anyone confirm from what I have told so far. Or is unplugging the TPS and Incorrect way to diagnose...

Please let me know

Thanks

PS: If I start the car when it is completely cold it will idle perfectly fine for at least 10 seconds before the idle gets rougher. So it has to be a sensor thing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 AM
SRTforums Member

If you have a digital multimeter, test the voltage output on the TPS signal output wire, I believe it is the orange/dark blue wire. It should have a start out at a lower voltage and increase as you open the throttle. If the voltage ever suddenly spikes, or drops, the TPS is bad.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Nice! thanks for the info. I'll do that.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 03:51 PM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Leonard
If you have a digital multimeter, test the voltage output on the TPS signal output wire, I believe it is the orange/dark blue wire. It should have a start out at a lower voltage and increase as you open the throttle. If the voltage ever suddenly spikes, or drops, the TPS is bad.

By chance do you know the voltage it should be at on idle? Is it a pretty constant voltage or does it change some?

<-- 2007 coSRToc dyno competition winner, stock turbo class [298whp/344wtq] on 91 pump, 50/50 w/m, untuned stg1-->
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsproject
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Leonard

By chance do you know the voltage it should be at on idle? Is it a pretty constant voltage or does it change some?
I checked it and gave me 0.77-0.78 volts at idle and 3.8 volts at WOT.

In Nivo's thread about the TPS fix, he says his TPS would change from 0.71 to 0.81 just by slamming the door on the car. I think my little 0.01 of variance at idle must be normal...

I think the usual TPS value must be 0.7XX at idle and 3.8X at WOT.
Please refer to the TPS thread by Nivo
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 05:45 AM
SRTforums Member

These should help...

Last edited by RSchyns; 06-01-2007 at 12:27 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Wow thanks a lot!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Lifetime Premium Member
it dosent stall cause of the IAC.. if you pull both of them and its still running you have a vac leak.. dose sound like a bad TPS but you would see a problem while your driving and you would mostlikly throw that code with is pluged in.

* Disclaimer...The above post may or may not have misspelled words ...deal with it...
**Sold**
Best E/T 12.699 @ 108.97
Best MPH 12.856 @ 110.32

Last edited by Jmhm17; 06-01-2007 at 11:55 AM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2007, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Thanks but I knew that. If I unplug the IAC the car does stall...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Update!

Well I changed the tps and it didn't change the crappy idle... but the car really goes now. There was something wrong with the TPS. All lower throttle operation were kinda messed up.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 06:12 PM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny99
Update!

Well I changed the tps and it didn't change the crappy idle... but the car really goes now. There was something wrong with the TPS. All lower throttle operation were kinda messed up.
Did you check to make sure its not the TPS wire thats the problem? Theres three wires hanging off, two oranges and a black w/blue stripe. The black with blue stripe is usually the culprit. Last year happened to me (and everyone else it seems) car suddenly runs really shitty, code not always present. Sure enough about 2" down from the TPS sensor itself, the wire was sevored. I saudered it back together and car ran like new again. Did'nt need to purchase anything.....
Though note, upon first glance at the wire it seemed fine and good to go but infact it was still sevored just underneith the outer rubber coating. So it sometimes takes a keen eye to see and fix......

OPERATION NEON HEADLIGHTS 2.0 HAS BEGUN
(50watt ballasts, ZKW clear lenses!, projector fogs)
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Yeah thanks for the warning but I already took care of that. I orderd the TPS sensor and the rewire kit as well. I cut the 3 wires 5 inch down from the sensor. I soldered instead of crimping the wires together. I changed the sensor after that and unplugged the batt for a little while.

All said and done, the idle didn't change much. But the car drives much better. I really think there was something wrong either with the wires or the sensor. Before all that, I couldn't launch the car very well. It would either bog down or go too much. It's almost like the lower throttle range disappeared. I don't think it was the wires.

Are you stage 2? Is your idle always even?? Mine has a slight miss. I have come to think that the larger S2 injectors are the culprit.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by tiny99; 06-10-2007 at 07:05 PM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 07:23 PM
SRTforums Member

I am S2 no toys. The only time I ever experience an idle problem is rare. Sometimes when I have the air conditioning on, and I let of the gas at low RPM's in 1st gear, the car sometimes feels like it wants to die and idles crappy for a little bit, but now that im typing it, it sounds more like a parasidic power loss situation rather than an idle problem....

OPERATION NEON HEADLIGHTS 2.0 HAS BEGUN
(50watt ballasts, ZKW clear lenses!, projector fogs)
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Ok thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode