SRT-4 value for the longrun? - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SRT-4 value for the longrun?

I'm in the crossroads between keeping and selling my car.Its mechanically sound, but my red paint is going downhill fast despite the good care I've given it.

Is it just me, or are there a lot of our cars selling for below Kelley blue book in the last couple of months? I have my neon paid off and sitting at 118xxx miles. This is my daily and have done a lot of maintenance on it, so most everything besides the engine internals have less than 10,000 miles. I'm 23 and am starting my professional career, so the less bills I have the better. If I replace my car it will be a G8 or a GTO.

But my main question....is it worth keeping for another couple of years and get it close to 150xxx miles or selling it now while its still worth something? It pisses me off seeing evos with 150xxx going for over 13 grand.

Any comments/discussion would be great.

Thanks

When I stop being lazy, ill put a cool picture here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:10 AM
SRTforums Member

Ive noticed quite a few srt's going for less when i thought they could be going for a lot more. If i was you id keep it baby it, make sure everything is running right, its already paid off thats just money your saving right there, instead of purchasing a new car, bc GTO's are not cheap specially one with low miles, if anything your spending your money on gas with either of those cars

Dsp, Aem wideband, 3in dp, agp hard pipe, hks bov, scan gauge, booger bushings, b woody cc, injen cai, wally 255
post #3 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:25 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
lots of mileage-- expect the repairs will start rolling in -- if you can get 5k sell it..
soon srt4's will be like other kid cars and worth $2k

personally, i drive my new cars to the bitter end (junk yard or part out or build it)

Build Thread:http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f451...w-123k-612933/
PCM=S0, DSP rescaled, 3bar map/tip
injectors= Siemens 80# (ebay $200)
built motor, 8.8:1 weisco, eagle-h, strap & windage
S3R DCR manifold ($500) w/evo8 turbo (ebay $150) - 20G/47# ebay ($200)
Evo 8 WGA
24x12x4 w/cast ends - CXRacing (ebay $200)
DataLogger DataQA, $25
Wideband UEGO (ebay $150)
vette rims 275/40/17
needswing v5
SouthBend S3

Last edited by fixit; 08-11-2012 at 11:31 AM.
post #4 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 11:55 AM
SRTforums Member

Resale value , the nsrt has one of the worst resale values I've ever seen .

Actual value , the nsrt has one of the best actual per-dollar values I've ever seen .

When you stop & think about it , this type of dichotomy isn't uncommon .

Harley resale value , great . Actual value as a vehicle , shit .

IPhone resale value , great . Actual value as a out of date piece of the technology , shit .

And the flip side can also be true .

Japanese motorcycle resale value , shit . Actual value (compared to Harley) , awesome .

Of course there are the rare exceptions to the rule . These rare birds can be the best thing in the world & the worst curse you have ever been afflicted with . That's right , the best value & the worst value simultaneously . They are known as dsm . Kinda like schrodingers cat . And like schrodingers cat , its current state cannot be determined without opening the box , or turning the ignition key .

Dsm = quantum uncertainty

S3 turbo/mani,S3 coilovers,SCT PRP,1025cc inj,AGP Race,N2MBWOTBox,ACT HD-Street,Hurst,Needswings

Last edited by apexcrazy; 08-11-2012 at 12:02 PM.
post #5 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 12:11 PM
User Banned

Pontiac's worse cars ever

The pontiac GTO and/G8 have got to be the most unreliable cars you can find. GM killed the brand. Your SRT4 is already yours, so you can use it for a daily driver or such. So the paint is fading a little bit - so what - 8 or 9
years old.
The Kelly blue book stuff you observe doesn't mean anything. KBB adjusts prices to help the new and used car market sell cars. People pay top dollar for used cars they find in mint condition.
You'll change jobs 4 or 5 times before your 35; so yes, the fewer the bills the better.
post #6 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

I'm partial to to GTO/G8 cause I am Australian haha. The srt-4 has been good to me, but I just don't want to spend a couple grand here soon in case our car becomes the equivalent of a 93 civic. That might be dramatizing but you get the point.

I purposely replaced my clutch with a stock one so I don't get too happy with mods. Right now I'm bone stock stage 1 but will get a full 3 inch, dsp and air/fuel if I decide to hold onto it. It is my daily and that is as comfortable as I feel modifying it. Also will be looking into paint as my passenger side clear coat looks like dandruff now, and my front bumper has a one inch crack from being bumped into. From a far it looks great, but still drives me nuts

AG Free

post #7 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

SRT-4 value for the longrun?-imageuploadedbyag-free1344714163.474416.jpg

This is how it started...I don't have a current pic but it covers a good chunk of the door

SRT-4 value for the longrun?-imageuploadedbyag-free1344714235.207369.jpg

AG Free

post #8 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 05:13 AM
AWH
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymourless View Post
...Is it just me, or are there a lot of our cars selling for below Kelley blue book in the last couple of months?
Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by boost4breakfast View Post
Ive noticed quite a few srt's going for less when i thought they could be going for a lot more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexcrazy View Post
Resale value , the nsrt has one of the worst resale values I've ever seen .

Actual value , the nsrt has one of the best actual per-dollar values I've ever seen .
Well I'm not sure where you guys are coming up with this but I just checked autotrader (again) and there are VERY few SRTs going for under $5,000. In fact there are many going for $10K, even $12K+. There is a Silver 04 with 100,000+ miles on it going for $10K.

If anything I'd say the resale value on our cars is pretty good and there are a lot selling for over KBB value. Think about the simple economics of it - low supply, so when demand is high, prices are high. Our cars are pretty well sought after especially to the younger crowd of those who want a quick and fun reliable entry level daily which won't break the bank on gas, or those looking for a cheap project car. They are a good combination of nice/fast/reliable/efficient/rare.

Don't mistake what a dealer will give you on a trade-in for the price you could actually get for a decent SRT in the current market.

Quote:
Dsm = quantum uncertainty
FYI

SRT-4 = Chrysler and NOT dsm

DSM = not in existence anymore

Those who claim to be smart and right all the time are often dumb and wrong.

Last edited by AWH; 08-12-2012 at 05:17 AM.
post #9 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 05:14 AM
AWH
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Attachment 64581

This is how it started...I don't have a current pic but it covers a good chunk of the door

Attachment 64582

AG Free
Rut Roh. Looks like clearcoat failure. PM me and I will tell you where you can get info on how to possibly correct this issue if it can be corrected.

post #10 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:38 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixit View Post
lots of mileage-- expect the repairs will start rolling in -- if you can get 5k sell it..
soon srt4's will be like other kid cars and worth $2k

personally, i drive my new cars to the bitter end (junk yard or part out or build it)
this, time the universe.

if you buy a car with the hopes of getting a maximum return on it when you sell you are horribly mistaken in the financial aspects. I drive all my cars into the ground, dig them up and make 'em run for another couple years.

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER
Soon to be a Felon in NJ.
"This is NJ. The pursuit of happiness is prohibited."

the navy will christen their next warship the USS Gabrielle Giffords
"I'm betting that when the USS GG is commissioned, it will be notably slower than the rest of the fleet, list slightly to one side, and tend to turn gently to port while attempting to sail on a direct heading."
I'm SO going to hell for how hard I laughed at that.
post #11 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 06:41 AM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
plus, prices aren't set by any form of ACTUAL value, but almost purely on PERCEIVED value. an object is "worthless" until more than 1 person desires to obtain it and is willing to part with something of equal value (usually money) to obtain it.

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER
Soon to be a Felon in NJ.
"This is NJ. The pursuit of happiness is prohibited."

the navy will christen their next warship the USS Gabrielle Giffords
"I'm betting that when the USS GG is commissioned, it will be notably slower than the rest of the fleet, list slightly to one side, and tend to turn gently to port while attempting to sail on a direct heading."
I'm SO going to hell for how hard I laughed at that.
post #12 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 07:15 AM
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Attachment 64581

AG Free
What kind of wheels are those?

SGH-I777 using AutoGuide.C
post #13 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:49 AM
SRTforums Member

If your car is close to stock then I'd bet you could get 200k+ miles out of it virtually trouble free with proper maintenance. IMO the car is still worth a paint job and keeping it.

post #14 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 10:58 AM
SRTforums Member

Yes , I know that the nsrt is not a dsm , lol . I never said it was . I was just making a joke about the duality of dsm .

And when you consider the purchase price compared to average private resale value today , the nsrt isn't doing so well . Its not worth any more than a scion tc or well maintained civic of the same age , possibly less .
Hell around here the nsrt isn't worth much more than a sxt neon .

But of course , that's resale value , not actual value . I'm not dissing the nsrt , I'm just saying that the perceived value of a turbo neon is absolute shit . Go figure , you would think people don't consider the neon as a high quality vehicle , lol .

S3 turbo/mani,S3 coilovers,SCT PRP,1025cc inj,AGP Race,N2MBWOTBox,ACT HD-Street,Hurst,Needswings

Last edited by apexcrazy; 08-12-2012 at 11:18 AM.
post #15 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-12-2012, 11:54 AM
AWH
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Yes , I know that the nsrt is not a dsm , lol . I never said it was . I was just making a joke about the duality of dsm .
Ok just making sure. I've heard even other SRT owners say they thought our cars/motors were built by Mitsubishi.

Quote:
And when you consider the purchase price compared to average private resale value today , the nsrt isn't doing so well . Its not worth any more than a scion tc or well maintained civic of the same age , possibly less .
Hell around here the nsrt isn't worth much more than a sxt neon .

But of course , that's resale value , not actual value . I'm not dissing the nsrt , I'm just saying that the perceived value of a turbo neon is absolute shit . Go figure , you would think people don't consider the neon as a high quality vehicle , lol .
Well at least some of them are selling for $12-13-14K, which is more than half of what we paid for them new, and the newest ones out there are 7 years old. I see a lot of 5-6 year old BMW 335i's going for low $20Ks. So I don't think resale is that horrible.

Last edited by AWH; 08-12-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode