sometimes i wish i got a Neon instead - Page 2 - Dodge SRT Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-01-2013, 11:59 PM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have both now..NSRT-4 and CSRT-4.

The caliber looks sexy as hell from the outside...True.

Interior is ugly as hell, seats are full of stains just from dropping water on them, vision is not that good...Handling is hella amazing with coilovers + 255s tho! I still prefer my NSRT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 AM
AWH
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkounet View Post

The caliber looks sexy as hell from the outside...NOT!
Fixed that for you!

Thou shalt not use the words "caliber" and "sexy as hell" in the same sentence!

Those who claim to be smart and right all the time are often dumb and wrong.

Last edited by AWH; 01-02-2013 at 11:59 AM.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 06:34 PM
SRTforums Member

wish i never would have bought a dodge in the first place....my crx was better in every single way possible.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 06:46 PM
SRTforums Member

On the NSRT4 i think a single exhaust would've been less restrictive than the wtf were they thinking attempt at a "y" pipe. But I've come to expect silly stuff like that from Daimler Chrysler. lol.

I personally like the style of the caliber. But I'm also a wagon lover. AWD SRT4 caliber = would be amazing..My NSRT4 would be amazing as awd too, though. lol
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 06:54 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My Caliber SRT4 does NOT look like a bus and is very roomy inside which I like since I have 2 kids. Its also fast and its funny when people that have no clue what it is try to run me. Both of my daughters love the car and so do I. Now its time to get my hands on a GC SRT8 for my wife to drive for another family car.

04 Black Neon SRT4 DCR Block and Head/BW S256 Powered Original Owner!
07 White Xterra (Daily Driver)
08 Silver Caliber SRT4 #2,905 of 5,674 Produced (STOCK)
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM
SRTforums Member

I dont know why people hate on the CSRT4? Im a DODGE and a SRT enthusiast, I love ALL SRT's will soon have a ALL SRT garage and will buy nothing else but. MOPAR OR NO CAR.

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 08:58 PM
SRTforums Member

I like the caliber. If I was more in to show then go. I would have bought a caliber.
They make an r/t caliber that is awd right? Why don't they just swap and Srt engine into it?

05 flame red
bw Stage 3 47lb 20g By Mole'

daily driven
E85
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 09:04 PM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangles View Post
I like the caliber. If I was more in to show then go. I would have bought a caliber.
They make an r/t caliber that is awd right? Why don't they just swap and Srt engine into it?
Its been done on calibersrt4.net. There is one guy on there that has done it but he has been having issues for awhile with it. I have been never into show and all go and the caliber is all go and NO show. dynoing around 275HP at the wheels on different dyno's with no mods. They rate it at 285HP from the factory but we all know that fact.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM
AWH
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim26 View Post
I dont know why people hate on the CSRT4? Im a DODGE and a SRT enthusiast, I love ALL SRT's will soon have a ALL SRT garage and will buy nothing else but. MOPAR OR NO CAR.
It's not so much that I hate the CSRT-4 as much as it is that I just hate the Caliber. I actually considered test driving a CSRT when it came out. I liked the 19" rims, the seats, and the 6 speed manual Getrag trans. I just couldn't see getting rid of my N-SRT after just paying it off to get into payments again for the next 5 years on a car I didn't absolutely love.

I like Dodge too and all SRTs but you have to admit the Caliber itself was a failure and the CSRT is the red-headed step-child of the SRT lineup. Although the SRT designers had good intentions for the CSRT, it would have fared better had it not failed to be a step up in performance from the NSRT, which at the end of the day is what most SRT buyers want to see in a successor model. But instead we got a slower car (although more stock horsepower and torque perhaps) with questionable looks and little aftermarket support, and for a higher price.

That being said, would I prefer to drive a CSRT over a regular Caliber? Of course. Over about 70% of the cars on the road? Probably. Over most other equally performing cars in its price range? Probably not. Would I prefer it over my NSRT? No way!

But I will say I have high hopes for the Dart SRT-4, and I think they learned a lesson with the Caliber. The Dart is a decent looking car and from the rumors I've heard, the performance will be on par with or better than the NSRT, and the interior fit & finish plus the exterior styling upgrades will result in a successful car.

I still think they should make a few different SRT-4 models instead of just the Dart. Why not a Chrysler 200 SRT-4? How bout a 2-seat RWD SRT-4 roadster? Maybe a Jeep Compass or Dodge Journey SRT-4? (maybe that's stretching it a bit)... But why should the SRT-4 be limited to only one model when there are four SRT-8s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triangles View Post
They made an r/t caliber that was awd right? Why didn't they just swap an Srt engine into it?
Fixed that for ya! They don't make Calibers anymore. Production ceased in 2011, and 2012 was the last model year. The CSRT was discontinued after '09.

Anyway it was not that simple. The standard AWD system in the R/T couldn't handle the abuse the SRT powertrain would have put on it. To make an adequate AWD system it would have jacked the price up quite a bit. That is why they didn't go with AWD on the SRT-4s.

They want to squeeze big performance out of FWD for a reasonable price. That is why the NSRT was so successful. Big bang for buck factor.

Those who claim to be smart and right all the time are often dumb and wrong.

Last edited by AWH; 01-14-2013 at 10:02 PM.
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 01:10 AM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slim26 View Post
Its been done on calibersrt4.net. There is one guy on there that has done it but he has been having issues for awhile with it. I have been never into show and all go and the caliber is all go and NO show. dynoing around 275HP at the wheels on different dyno's with no mods. They rate it at 285HP from the factory but we all know that fact.
I mentioned show as looks good, has eye appeal. But arnt fast in the modified Scene
The caliber is something that can look good and turn heads straight off the show room floor.
The go. Meaning the average stock car is like a stock civic. Compaired to yours.
The nsrt is the go. Cause it looks just like a neon with a body kit. If you didn't know what you were looking for.
I rather have the go. Then the show. Looks arnt always important to me with cars.

The awd system could be beefed up right? Just like our trannys. ? In the gc Srt. They have the Mercedes. Tranny why not copy that design oof gears and clutches?

05 flame red
bw Stage 3 47lb 20g By Mole'

daily driven
E85
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 01:44 AM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The csrt is ugly! Mini minivan!

MIC 16g E85
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 AM
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyeah View Post
The csrt is ugly! Mini minivan!
I can say half the neons on this site are ugly as hell to and thats a facted. Trust me I still own my neon and I am the original owner of it. I have kids and my caliber takes them around just like my GC SRT8 will once i own one sometime this year. Would I buy a reg caliber hell no but the CSRT4 is an amazing car with really good handling the way it sets, stock and I would never trade it in or sell it.

post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 06:32 AM
SRTforums Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneal View Post
...and i would never know why Dodge used a single exhaust when dual is better...
I beg to differ...yeah, on a V-8 or V-6 a dual exhaust is better, but there is absolutely no point to a dual exhaust in a straight 4. All you are doing is splitting it up for looks. Which personally I hated about my Neon. That's why I had the factory tips cut off, and had a single welded in it's place.

As for the Caliber...I drove one. It was better than I expected it to be. It was also modded, and to what extent I do not now. That being said...I would NOT have given up my Neon for it, but if I could have con'd the Mrs into a manual transmission.

post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-15-2013, 07:46 AM
SRTforums Member

Oh I wouldnt give my neon up for a CSRT4 thats why I didnt have have both my NSRT4 and my CSRT4. But I also only have one car payment right now and thats my CSRT and I only pay 276 a month for it. The neon has been paid off since 08.

post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2013, 10:46 PM
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I was never really impressed with the Caliber. Even less so when i found out just how bad it turned out in the end. (The Caliber had good initial plans, and absolutely terrible follow-thru). I'd never want to own one, and it's obvious most people dont like it. Hence why only 1/5th as many CSRT were made as the NSRT.

Rare car? Yes.
Ugly? From many angles.
Tunable? Not really.
Lacking LSD? Yes.
Electronic Nannies? Yes.
Handling? Worse than the Neon.
Worthy successor to the NSRT? No.

That said. I'm looking forward to the DSRT and how it turns out. Many little details can make or break that car. I hope they get it right.

11.21@127.88
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode