Should I Flush Radiator After Using Stop Leak? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > SRT-4 Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 79533
Default Should I Flush Radiator After Using Stop Leak?

Hello all

I am going to be replacing my head and/or head gasket next week, and I have added 2 treatments of stop leak fluid to make the car driveable in the meantime. The temperatures are holding steady in between 180-215, as opposed to 230+, so I know the treatment is working.

My primary concern is that after I replace the head gasket or the head, having this stop leak in the radiator may damage the cap, t-stat or the head itself. Would you recommend doing a full coolant flush after replacing these parts, or is the fluid safe to keep in the radiator? Also, I am currently running Peak Longlife 50-50 pre-dilluted anti-freeze in the system. See here:

PEAK LongLife 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze Coolant

Is this fluid sufficient for our cars, or should I purchase specialty fluid?
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 8377

1. Never use stop leak. Ever. Never.
2. Never ever ever use two treatments of stop leak.
3. You can use any quality coolant you want as long as you completely flush the system first.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 76717

I would flush it,and I like to use mopar rad.fluid
Old 07-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Member Number: 77060
Premium Member

Quote: Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
Hello all

I am going to be replacing my head and/or head gasket next week, and I have added 2 treatments of stop leak fluid to make the car driveable in the meantime. The temperatures are holding steady in between 180-215, as opposed to 230+, so I know the treatment is working.

My primary concern is that after I replace the head gasket or the head, having this stop leak in the radiator may damage the cap, t-stat or the head itself. Would you recommend doing a full coolant flush after replacing these parts, or is the fluid safe to keep in the radiator? Also, I am currently running Peak Longlife 50-50 pre-dilluted anti-freeze in the system. See here:

PEAK LongLife 50/50 Prediluted Antifreeze Coolant

Is this fluid sufficient for our cars, or should I purchase specialty fluid?

From what I understand-No. Zerex G05 is compatible with MOPAR coolants and can be mixed with factory fills. For best results, either stick with MOPAR or flush'n fill with Zerex G05. Napa had the Zerex G-05, don't think Auto Zone did.

Valvoline.com > Products > Zerex > Antifreeze Zerex > Zerex G-05® Antifreeze / Coolant

About the Stop Leak. I've never used it and never will. I *think* that stuff is a temp fix to a long term problem.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Thanks for the information. When I go to flush the radiator, how many gallons of the Peak anti-freeze will this thing take to get it full again?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 43487

you can bring your car to a shop and have them flush it with detergent to clean the system out. i do this at work all the time to clean oil/contamination out of rads etc.
You can do it yourself by draining all the coolant out filling it with the water and detergent and running it then draining it repeat as necessary. then fill and run it with water to get all the detergent out a few times. finish off with filling your choice of coolant
Steve
Old 07-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

Member Number: 77060
Premium Member

I believe it was 1 and a 1/2 gallons . I honestly don't recall cause I made a boo boo. I tipped a jug over. In my defense we were drinking a lot by then. But I have about a half jug left. The Zerex is NOT pre mixed. I pre mixed mine in a 5 gallon bucket. 1 half gallon DISTILLED water and 1 and 1/2 gallons Zerex. That made a 75% mix. Then put it in the radiator via funnel. Very easy. Again not sure how much I really had left over, as a bunch went all over the driveway. That little drain valve could be a little tricky if your impatient or not mechanically inclined.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 72384

stop leak = fail imo

2004 SRT4: Mopar CAI, Mopar BOV, BWoody Catch Can, 3" DP w/ cutout, AGP Dog Bones, FM WGA, AEM UEGO, Mopar S1 Springs
lilnicko11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 63756

i used stopleak in my old mustang once. it plugged the cooling system at my tranny and i started boiling tranny fluid. never again.

Its cheaper to get it towed in the long run.
derr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Well, since I added the treatment last week, I was able to drive the car for three consecutive days without the temperature rising above 200. So for me, it seemed to work exceptionally well. However, common sense would say that since it seems to be a different consistency than the anti-freeze, it will probably gum up parts in the long run. I have a mechanic buddy who is replacing the head, gaskets, plugs, wires, coil etc. and after I get it back, I will be sure to get a full flush in the system.

Here's to hoping that I finally have a permanent fix for this sexy fast car!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 32437

Well since it's already in there I guess you might as well flush it before you swap the head, after that, install the parts, then refill it with the correct fluid. Is the leak at the headgasket?

Also, did your package arrive from UPS? Everything look good, and not damaged?

Silver '04/Stuff. Omnidog does all my dirty work.
6266 and more coming soon.
RuizGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Hey Jeremy. Yeah, everything looks perfect! I was going to get back with you after everything is installed, but it looks like it is going to turn out well after all. After owning this aqua blue Civic hatchback who was revving on me at a light, I just want it back now. My backup (Neon SXT) feels like a slug on the road nowadays, haha.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 32437

Quote: Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
Hey Jeremy. Yeah, everything looks perfect! I was going to get back with you after everything is installed, but it looks like it is going to turn out well after all. After owning this aqua blue Civic hatchback who was revving on me at a light, I just want it back now. My backup (Neon SXT) feels like a slug on the road nowadays, haha.

Haha, that's good to hear. Hope everything gets fixed soon.

Silver '04/Stuff. Omnidog does all my dirty work.
6266 and more coming soon.
RuizGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

So...

I just got my car back recently from having the radiator machine flushed and refilled. Since the old coolant had StopLeak inside, I decided to buy 3 gallons of Zerex G-05 50/50 from Napa (only $8.39 per gallon!). I took the car to Firestone and I picked it up the next day.

Now, I need reassurance so that I don't go apeshit and sue them. Basically, I took in 3 gallons of the Zerex, which everyone says is not green. I figured that they would not use all three gallons, and that they would put the rest in the back of my car. However, I did not see any bottles in my car when I got inside, so I just assumed they disposed of a 1/2 gallon of coolant. Then, I start to get curious, so I pop open the radiator cap and discover that it is completely full of green liquid!

Please tell me that Zerex G05 50/50 has switched its dye to green. If not, what should I do? I am glad the car is finally working properly but damn...
Old 08-18-2010, 12:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Member Number: 11888
Lifetime Premium Member

Oh man... you should have asked here before you ever added that shit. The radiator is the least of your worries, the tiny orifices all over the motor will get plugged up, and nearly as bad, your heater core will be utterly f'ed, because it has tinier holes than the radiator.

A heater core for the late 80's early 90's chryslers was only 40 bucks, but putting it in SUCKED, and so often when we would buy cars at a police auction some numbnuts would have put that crap in there, thankfully about 75% of the time I could get it cleaned up by running a light acid based solution through the heater core, letting it sit for awhile, then rinsing, repeat until it was pretty much all cleaned out. But the other 25% of the time, dropping the entire dash, removing the heater control unit out, unhooking all the vaccum lines, just to put that stupid core in, it sucked.

well, live and learn I guess... i used it when I was younger and dicked up the heater core in my lebaron, that was when i first learned about how bad it is.