Rattles and grinds and vibrations oh my.... - Dodge SRT Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Rattles and grinds and vibrations oh my....

My 05 SRT-4 has 130K miles. I replaced the control arm bushings with poly bushings about 15-20k miles ago. I installed BC coilovers and Hotckis sway bars about 10k miles ago.

Over the last 6 months, my front suspension has been gradually acting up more and more. At first it was just a small rattle once in a while when I'd hit a rather large bump in the road. Then it turned into louder rattling and vibrations over medium bumps. Now it clunks and grinds and vibrates over almost any bump or dip in the road, and while I'm turning. At first I thought it was the axles because the vibrations and grinding feel more pronounced when turning.

Everything suspension related -feels- tight and solid when i'm under the car and banging/hitting things. However, that's just based on my own strength and leverage, not the weight of the car.

While dicking around last weekend and trying to track down the rattling and stuff, I pulled off the sway bar and drove it around. All symptoms and shit vanished - it drove as smooth as ever. So, I regreased the sway bar and reinstalled it, and the grinding and vibrations came back just as they were before.

Any ideas? Is the sway bar causing the issues? Or is it the axles or something else and the sway bar is simply magnifying that issue?

Last edited by DetergentCandy; 09-24-2016 at 02:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 01:08 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Have you checked your sway bar end links? Upgraded them to polyurethane? Also make sure the suspension is loaded when you tighten them down and torque to correct spec
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyU211 View Post
Have you checked your sway bar end links? Upgraded them to polyurethane? Also make sure the suspension is loaded when you tighten them down and torque to correct spec
I'm using the endlinks that came with the sway bar. They do have poly bushings, though I don't recall if I tightened them to any specific spec the first time. I know I did not do that the second time.

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 04:13 PM
SRTforums Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
I was having a lot of creaks and groans at less than 60k. I felt it was worth it to upgrade all these items this year. I tested things by bouncing the corners and braking and weaving and all the other telltale tests but it was never consistent, it just gets worse over time.

Sway bar bushing ft/rr (poly)
Endlinks ft/rr (poly)
Inner/outer tie rods
Hubs and bearings (do bearings at least)(I had snapped a stud so I just did hubs too)
Strut mounts (all four)(this makes a huge difference)
Ft LCAs (moog PS and poly) ( i had all poly, much prefer these)

Even the parts that i didn't know were worn were obviously going bad once I got them out. Do all of the above and the car will be as quiet as when it was new, no lie.

The rear LCA rubber is very loose so I have DCR LCA's going in as well.

I also blew my two rear struts and I have coilovers going in soon.

I really think your problems are coincidental and it's more than that. Also torque everything to spec don't be lazy on torque. I can't tell you except to say that all my work was a few months ago it very solid and quiet. Now all I hear is my MPx exhaust drone and everything that rattles in the cabin lol

Corded phone

'05 SW ACR S3
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:02 AM
SRTforums Member

Also make sure the sway bar bushings are installed correctly. I've seen people put them on in the wrong order and that will cause noise to. The sway bar bushings bolt to the control arms so once you have it off check your lca bushings for play.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Got the car up in the air this morning and loosened all sway bar bolts and re-tightened them to the proper specs. No change to how it drives and feels.
I did notice some play in the passenger-side axle, though. How much up and down play should there be between the intermediate and cv shaft? Or, is any play too much and this is from where my problems are coming?

Last edited by DetergentCandy; 09-25-2016 at 02:36 PM.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:44 PM
SRTforums Member

I'm not sure you should have any play in the intermediate shaft. The axle should have very minimal play. The other things to check are the tie rods, wheel bearings (hub assemblies or whatever), and struts/ strut mounts. You should take it all apart to check, only takes about 30 mins per side. You said the control arms and sway bar bushings are cool and there isn't anything else down there. Good luck

Last edited by JoeyU211; 09-25-2016 at 09:46 PM.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Intermediate shaft doesn't wobble. It's solid. Axle wobble on the intermediate shaft.
Coilovers are on camber plates, and everything is bolted solid. Couldn't feel any play in the tie rods.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 07:23 AM
SRTforums Member

Did you take the knuckle apart to check each part? I've had tie rods that I couldn't tell how bad they were until I took it off. There's not much to the entire suspension then what's already been mentioned so one of those parts is causing your issue. Also how are your wheel bearings? Take the rotor and caliper off and rotate the bearing by hand. Good luck
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

I haven't taken them apart completely. But I think I'm going to have to.
I've tried inspecting the bearings with the wheels on like i've been told you can do, and the wheels feel firm and solid without any movement in or out or up and down.

Last edited by DetergentCandy; 09-29-2016 at 08:13 PM.
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 09:33 AM
SRTforums Member

If you have any questions let me know. I'm gonna be replacing both of my control arms today so everything will be fresh in my mind lol. I personally wouldn't check the bearings with the tires or the rotors on. The tires and rotors add allot of weight. Just suck it up and tear it apart.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 01:06 PM
SRTforums Member

Any luck?
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Did not get to it this weekend as planned. Been driving my other car for the time being. Will report back once I get to it, though. It bothers me more and more every time I drive it :P
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-02-2016, 09:13 PM
SRTforums Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetergentCandy View Post
Got the car up in the air this morning and loosened all sway bar bolts and re-tightened them to the proper specs. No change to how it drives and feels.
I did notice some play in the passenger-side axle, though. How much up and down play should there be between the intermediate and cv shaft? Or, is any play too much and this is from where my problems are coming?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-un...ature=youtu.be
That axle is not in all the way.

2005 SRT-4, BW Stage 3, Tuning...
2002 Camaro SS M6, Turbo kit in, working on things!
2003 SRT-4 Sold!
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
SRTforums Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginjoe View Post
That axle is not in all the way.
Well, it won't go in any further....

Got underneath the car tonight. Haven't started removing shit yet, but I noticed a rubber o-ring between the cv shaft and the int. shaft. Is that actually supposed to be there? O.o Seems like an odd place for an o-ring~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161007_192431[1].jpg
Views:	65
Size:	490.0 KB
ID:	129154  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode