Neon to SRT conversion, how big is the task? - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > SRT-4 Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2005, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 28430
Default Neon to SRT conversion, how big is the task?

Ok, this is my first post here, to be honest I did not thorougly search for this question maybe there's already threads that can point me in the right direction. Here's the question.
Let's say you have a
2000 Dodge Neon with Auto tranny
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 that has all over body damage, front is damaged but all the mechanical under the hood pieces are not touched. Basically a rollover and side damage (anyone from these forums did that btw? its a black one in Wilmington area).

So how hard would it be to convert the 2000 neon to a srt4? all the parts are there on that car except the body parts of course. Or would it be easier to chop up the 2000 to replace the parts on the srt4???

Is there a list somewhere where one could point me of all the different parts that seperate the srt4 from a standard neon?

Thanks guys. and no i would not resell the car to anyone, this would be a project car for myself.

Thanks again.
Viktor
Viktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2005, 01:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 3525

I would say sell both and buy a used srt-4.
nathanstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 24380

Quote: Originally Posted by nathanstl
I would say sell both and buy a used srt-4.

Where's the fun in that?
multarnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 22201

well I'm actually getting parts together for that exact swap. There are a few problems with putting that engine in an '00 chassis. well really 2 main areas to look at from what ive picked up so far. First the '00 body has no provision for a hydraulic clutch, they were built with cable clutch setups. So you're going to have to drill the firewall to set up your master cylinder. Secondly, the tie in from the engine wiring harness to the chassis harness... but if youve got the entire car, you can just swap out the whole thing. I wasnt quite lucky enough to get all of that. some ppl you might want to talk to. Bigwoody and steelybob on neons.org and i believe smucky69 has done a swap also, he's on these forums. So good luck... and if you get done before me, tell us how it turns out.
Nate2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 22255

talk to Psi Fi motorsports.... they put an auto tranny in a srt.... they might be able to help you make this work

www.psifimotorsports.com

Oompa Loompas??
MycelItiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 16385

i would head over to the www.neons.org forums like someone above said. being a 2000 your car isn't a 2nd gen, so head over to their forums and get into the 2nd gen section and ask the same question.
chrisoefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:58 AM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 22201

For the love of god... do a search first... read everything by bigwoody, poor boy, and steelybob .... then get a FSM... then ask questions. They will flay you from the bone if you pop in and ask that without researching it first.
Nate2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:18 AM   #8 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 586

Quote: Originally Posted by Nate2010
There are a few problems with putting that engine in an '00 chassis. well really 2 main areas to look at from what ive picked up so far. First the '00 body has no provision for a hydraulic clutch, they were built with cable clutch setups. So you're going to have to drill the firewall to set up your master cylinder. Secondly, the tie in from the engine wiring harness to the chassis harness... but if youve got the entire car, you can just swap out the whole thing.

...quick question. would 01 be the same as 00?

Quote:
fusion210: Everytime I ride in a car you're driving I try to make it the last time. D:

XCLR8TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 07:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 10471

Actually, any 00 Neon built after Feb. 00 is hydraulic but since yours is auto, you'll have to drill. I did my swap in 3 days but I had everything there but it's not hard, just a little time consuming. You'll need the engine/tranny w/ tranny mount, engine harness w/ PCM, A/C low pressure sensor, cross member(not 100% sure about that), shifter cables, SRT pedals, etc(basically everything needed to convert a auto to manual). And if your car doesn't have Sentry key, you'll need the SRT dash wiring harness and steering column, to get Sentry Key or find a way to bypass it. If you want to see pics of my swap, here's a link. But if you have anymore questions, post or PM me,

Last edited by Calcu; 05-19-2005 at 07:41 AM.
Calcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:02 AM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 22976

Quote: Originally Posted by Calcu
Actually, any 00 Neon built after Feb. 00 is hydraulic but since yours is auto, you'll have to drill. I did my swap in 3 days but I had everything there but it's not hard, just a little time consuming. You'll need the engine/tranny w/ tranny mount, engine harness w/ PCM, A/C low pressure sensor, cross member(not 100% sure about that), shifter cables, SRT pedals, etc(basically everything needed to convert a auto to manual). And if your car doesn't have Sentry key, you'll need the SRT dash wiring harness and steering column, to get Sentry Key or find a way to bypass it. If you want to see pics of my swap, here's a link. But if you have anymore questions, post or PM me,

Man i just looked at your pics, thats crazy!

MySlips.com
Bench Racing Stops Here.
Post up your SRT-4 Timeslips and rank in the SRT-4 Portal
distinctdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:07 AM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 19889

HOLY SHIT thats clean...awesome job with that, that's incredible...

AGP WGA | VTEC Controller | 3 Turbonators
plastick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 10604

yes very nice. what did you do with the old HO 2.0l. do trade between the SRT wing and the R/T wing. i like the R/T wing more.
neo wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 11:02 AM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 11609

i'm sure its a task but worth it in the end, if thats the route you want to go.
agp 50 trim w/ hahn portfueler,mopar stage2 , lorenzo 60mm tb, perrin 3' turboback exhaust, jmb cai, aem uego wideband,mopar sts, prothane motor mount inserts, ptp hardpipe kit with greddy rs bov,cca fmic, ptp stage3 clutch w/ fidanza flywheel and bc stage2 cams.
torque222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 10471

Quote: Originally Posted by neo wes
yes very nice. what did you do with the old HO 2.0l. do trade between the SRT wing and the R/T wing. i like the R/T wing more.

I sold it the day after I finished the swap. As for the wing, the R/T wing looks 10x better, it's nice not having a big spoiler blocking your view. I need to put a pic in there of how it looks now though,

Calcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 27182

wow, that is sweet...
2.4_5speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement