Got a Ticket for Defective Equipment - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum

Go Back   SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum > SRT-4 Technical Discussion > SRT-4 Discussion

SrtForums.com is the premier Dodge SRT Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 01:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 25736
Default Got a Ticket for Defective Equipment

So I'm coming home from getting my windows tinted (legally) and I'm going about 65 mph on Route 91 in Massachusetts. I look up and see a cop in my rearview. Sure enough he hits the lights and pulls me over. At first I am PISSED! I have no idea what I have done. Ya know ussually we know why we are being pulled over long before the officer gets to our window. But this day I had no idea. I was not speeding , my new tint is legal and I'm not swerving or anything.

So The officer approaches the window and asks "do you know why I pulled you over?" I say "no sir". He says "your exhaust is too loud". I tell him that it is stock. He says "put it in neutral and rev the engine". So I do as he asks. The engine revs and he says "There's no way in Hell that is a stock exhaust!". I say well officer I'm sorry but it is stock. I know I'm not gonna win an arguement with a cop on the side of the road so I stop at a factual description. He asks if he looks under the car will there be some type of Dodge badging on the exhaust. I say I don't know but it is stock. So he spend 5 minutes under my car trying to figure it out. Finally he comes back and says he can't even find the cat or muffler!

Long story short...he gives me a ticket for "defective equipment" saying that if it is stock than it must be defective because he spends 8 hours a day sitting along the highway and my car is excessivly loud. So now to fight a $35 ticket I need to make an appointment at the dealer and have them check my exhaust and print something out saying that it is not defective and it is stock! Probably will cost me $50 bucks to do that and miss a day of work to go to court will cost me money as well. I would just pay the ticket and forget it but who's to say that the same cop doesn't stop me EVERY week with a defective equipment ticket for my STOCK exhaust? I am really at a loss here.

Unbelievable!

UPDATE: I got my exhaust inspected by Dodge. The mechanic said that it was "defect free and in fine working order". Plus after I told them the story they said the inspection of the exhaust would be free of charge! Can't wait to go to court.

Last edited by jaycarneygiants; 11-05-2007 at 03:12 PM.
jaycarneygiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2007, 04:26 AM   #2 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 50392

Be careful. In Va Beach ive heard of people taking an exhaust ticket to court and losing with a stock exhaust. I dont know the details, but be sure have your ducks in a row. They can be total bastards.

When you tell me about how nice your interior is I can't hear you because I'M TOO FAR AHEAD OF YOU!!!
orange_blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 37633

Quote: Originally Posted by gt5oh
Here are the files you need to keep in your glovebox. These will help explain our exhaust to the police if you are stopped.

Also located in the Service Manual in Section 11-2

Here is some other evidence:

Quote:
The SRT-4 has no mufflers, which helps make up for the compromised exhaust routing. That's right, there's a turbo, a catalytic converter and two resonators in the exhaust system, but no actual mufflers.

Take this with you to court.

Quote: Originally Posted by 05SilverStreak
Defending a NEON is like sticking up for the fat red headed kid with freckles at school. Sure you may make a symbolic point and even feel better yourself, but come on, it is what it is. When people chuckle at me and ask your 35 and drive a souped up NEON? Im like "yep" and smile back. Reality owns you my friend.

5startech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 26183

Quote: Originally Posted by 5startech
Here are the files you need to keep in your glovebox. These will help explain our exhaust to the police if you are stopped.

Also located in the Service Manual in Section 11-2

Here is some other evidence:

Quote:
The SRT-4 has no mufflers, which helps make up for the compromised exhaust routing. That's right, there's a turbo, a catalytic converter and two resonators in the exhaust system, but no actual mufflers.

Take this with you to court.

Those are nice and all, but i would rather have an actual booklet with it in it.

Good luck fighting the ticket, i hear of it all the time. Im glad no one gives a fuck in Pittsburgh, I drove around open dp for 2 months this summer. Past cops every morning to work.

Quote: Originally Posted by RedLineGSR94
you managed to get 8 DSMs together in one place??? did you own a junkyard???

BlackOhFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 30284

That sucks man. It has happened to a few people. No one wants to believe that they come with no muffler.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 55270

I've met a lot of people that didn't know our cars didn't come with a muffler
Old 10-16-2007, 08:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 17662

A turbo counts as a Muffler.
2008 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR (SOLD)
2008 Mazdaspeed3 (SOLD)
2004 Dodge Neon SRT-4 S3R (SOLD)
MoxhairR/T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member (Lifetime)

Member Number: 50050
Lifetime Premium Member

That happened to me.. about six months ago.. I had printed that sheet out and keep it in my regestration papers... after the cop tells me my exhaust is too loud and me explaining its stock and I dont have an aftermarket exhaust he takes my papers and liscence and goes back to his car... comes back and says have a good night and lets me leave... dont know if that paper helped.. but doesnt hurt to keep a copy in the car

Sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
BTR
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 11347

I printed out that paper AND articles from sport compact car, motor trend and car & driver, all stating that the car is loud from the factory and comes with no muffler (I even highlighted every time the article said "no mufflers" so they wouldn't have to look for it.)
Old 10-16-2007, 10:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 38082

honestly dude i say go get that paper work from dodge, i had the exact same problem i didnt think nothing of it, till the fucker pulled me over like 2 months later and gave me the same ticket. So i went and got the paper work and not a month later that same asshole pulls me over for the third time, so i show him the paper and told him that if he kept harassing me i would report him. havent been stoped by him since...and the tickets...never even made it to court.
chico120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Those are nice and all, but i would rather have an actual booklet with it in it.

Good luck fighting the ticket, i hear of it all the time. Im glad no one gives a fuck in Pittsburgh, I drove around open dp for 2 months this summer. Past cops every morning to work.

I am not sure where the color pic is from, but the black and white one is a scan from the service manual, you could buy the service manual on the net somewhere and you know put it in your console or something

Defending a NEON is like sticking up for the fat red headed kid with freckles at school. Sure you may make a symbolic point and even feel better yourself, but come on, it is what it is. When people chuckle at me and ask your 35 and drive a souped up NEON? Im like "yep" and smile back. Reality owns you my friend.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Quote: Originally Posted by chico120
honestly dude i say go get that paper work from dodge, i had the exact same problem i didnt think nothing of it, till the fucker pulled me over like 2 months later and gave me the same ticket. So i went and got the paper work and not a month later that same asshole pulls me over for the third time, so i show him the paper and told him that if he kept harassing me i would report him. havent been stoped by him since...and the tickets...never even made it to court.

excactly what paper work is that?

Old 10-16-2007, 04:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 45317

the color pic is from maxxfab's website
Old 10-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
SRTforums Member

Member Number: 50458

Quote: Originally Posted by MoxhairR/T
A turbo counts as a Muffler.

x2!...................

LLk
KlugSRT-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Member Number: 11888
Lifetime Premium Member

You shouldn't have to go to court. Call the county attorney, explain the situation, if he starts to be an ass about it, tell him straight up that you have no issues going to court and that you will win. Be sure you have a signed letter from the service manager at your local dodge dealer, the above documentation showing the exhaust setup, be confident in what you are telling him, but do NOT be rude.

In some instances the county attorney will refuse to speak with you (like the asshat from Iowa I dealt with in July), in that case send him a letter explaining the situation and let them know your intention to plead not guilty to this ticket, and just as above, tell them that you have the documentation to prove the exhaust is legal.

The shitty part of all this is that you could have everything ready to go, take time off work to show up for court, and the jackass cop could just skip out, effectively giving you the win and ruining all your planning. Still, in my opinion, better to do the work and be right