Dodge SRT Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

engine blew up,caused a fire = car totaled

5K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  Moparboost24 
#1 ·
well on the 13th I was on my way to get new tires on my car and the inevitable happened. The engine finally had all it could take:grimrippe
I mean running a 30r @ 30psi on a stock block is a great idea , right:rofl:

when the engine let loose it put several holes in the block (front and back) and also took out the oil pan . It then sprayed oil on to , well everything, but the worst place possible my extremely hot turbo/manifold causing :flamingde , which burnt the engine harness,alternator,coil/wires,fuel lines,and pretty much anything else that could burn between back of the engine and firewall.......SO I pulled the engine so insurance could inspect the fire damage ....AND they are now totaling my 42,xxx mile car that has NO structural damage ...I mean once I powerwash the engine bay it will just look as if I pulled the blown engine......

So I am now going to buy my car back take the check and BUILD THE SHIT OUT OF IT:thumbsup:

I am even considering full cage and tube the front chasis.....

Now here are some of the things I need help with:

-finding a full CF front end(bumper ,hood,fenders) which will be painted so glass will work as well

-sheetmetal intake manifold

-turbo manifold , intercooler pipes , and downpipe so I can mount the turbo where the battery used to live.

- and for all you HIGH HP guys ....which intercooler have you ran at high boost, 30 plus , and not had any problems....

-if anyone has the harness for the engine or any other harness under the hood under the hood hit me up with a pm

Alright guess thats enough for this chapter of the book....Thanks for reading...any advice,help ,or opinions are apprecited:thumbsup:

See less See more
#3 ·
I wouldn't have posted this insurance wouldn't be happy.
You should lay low til you get your check then do your thing.

#5 ·
naw they know the fire started because of the engine blowing up....I was straight with them off the bat...They are giving me 3g's less because they appraised it as it sits now , needing an engine.....they told me fire damage is fire damage no matter how it started...but idk
good lookin out though:thumbsup:

#4 ·
Thanks so much ...I was really bummed ,but decided to look at it this way......I can now do things to my car that I wouldnt have done before.....I was so meticulous and picky about everything trying to keep miles off of it and worrying about keeping all my stock parts just in case these things became rare ....but now its going to be a salvage title .....SO let the fun begin .....she's dead now but will be back with a vengance soon....well maybe not real soon , but as quickly as possible:thumbsup:

#12 ·
If you can get them to cut a check without giving them or transferring the title it should stay clean in most states like just mentioned. If anyone runs a CarFax or other similar insurance industry report it will probably show as being flagged as a total loss so if you're concerned about that take a ton of picture now, print them, and document that damage for future reference.

It's too bad about the loss but at least you should come out okay. And a good reminder for anyone, especially those with a modified car, a big automotive fire extinguisher can be cheap insurance to carry mounted in the trunk. Some of the smaller ones fit pretty well right under the rear parcel shelf between the speakers.

#14 ·
Not always. If they don't request the title before releasing a check then in some states it will keep the clean title unless you turn it in to your motor vehicle department and have them issue a new one stating it was a total loss. If the insurance company requires the title before paying out then it will probably end up with a salvage title as they're required by law in most states when reselling the car (even to the same previous owner).

#18 ·
It's too bad about the loss but at least you should come out okay. And a good reminder for anyone, especially those with a modified car, a big automotive fire extinguisher can be cheap insurance to carry mounted in the trunk. Some of the smaller ones fit pretty well right under the rear parcel shelf between the speakers.[/QUOTE]

thanks mom haha jk i should invest in one all i have are full size house ones

#19 ·
I think I am going to get one for my car and put it in the trunk. They come across as kind of ricey when I see them in the Honda's on the pass side A pillar. lol

#21 ·
I think I am going to get one for my car and put it in the trunk. They come across as kind of ricey when I see them in the Honda's on the pass side A pillar. lol
just keep a few rockstars ...they worked well for me....:rofl:

#20 ·
Well the reason they are totalling it is because it was a fire that burnt electrical components and MAY have problems arise down the road.....I am replacing ALL wiring and sensors in the engine bay along with the ecu so I am not worried about any problems from that stuff...I guess no body shop or insurance company wants to fix that kinda thing and have it short out and catch fire again....thus them being the responible party for the accident....is how it was explained to me.....by the claims department

Also my insurance knows my car has a lot of mods because I had to have it appraised and produce receipts to have those extra items insured....my insurance isnt cheap , especially for a 30 year old with no points or tickets on record....$144 a month , pretty rediculous......

The good news is also that I dont think I will have to send my title to them so from what I have been told by others is ....as long as I keep the car I will not have to have a salvage or rebuilt title and shouldnt require an inspection by the police...like would be neccessary if I purchased a salvage vehicle to rebuild.

I am no expert and really dont care too much if they do make me get a salvage title because I never planned on selling it any way .....I just will never be able to insure it the same as I can with a clean title:gay:

I will get some pics of the damage asap! and show all the neat-o windows in the block and pan:thumbsup:

and like I said ...I have been waiting for the day it let go . I just had no idea it would catch fire the way it did .....and I would like to thank rockstar energy drinks for the assistance in putting the initial fire out LOL! 2 for 3 bux so i had a partial and 3 more for my fire extinguishing needs.....as well as the construction truck euipped with an extinguisher , and FWFD for emptying yet another one on the already extinguished fireand causing even more of a mess:rofl:

#30 ·
Thanks bro ,Much appreciated!

#31 ·
Ouch man that sucks! At least you will get to have fun wirh it in the end, cant wait to see the final product of the build, keep us updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.