Dodge SRT Forum banner

did not get the srt ...

3K views 61 replies 31 participants last post by  redlinekiller 
#1 ·
basically because of insurance costs and a last minute warranty cancellation from the dealer...was at the dealer ready to finalize and when i called up insurance i was blown away..i did not even consider the insurance costs...here are my 2 questions.

1. would you buy an '05 srt with 62,000 AS IS? dealer said they can't give me even a 30 day warranty because vehicle has stage 1 kit which voids the warranty and is not even LEGAL.....

2. how does everyone deal with the insurance situation? I am 20, clean record NJ, and was quoted $396 every month....at that rate the insurance payments would equal the car in 2 years. . .

i seriously can't see how this is even possible, i am really bummed in a way but whatever. thanks everyone.

#3 ·
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dude i live in CALI <---- and im 18....i have 5 EPA ref tickets from my last car
i drive a 04 SRT-4
i stated i was married AND i even put my girlfriend on my insurance WHO JUST GOT HER LICENCE LAST WEEK....i payed 565 for 6 months!
and the next 6 months will be $478

#6 ·
what do you mean by WTF!!!! what are you shocked by or at? how can you pay 565 for 6 months? thats 3390 and 478 for 6 months is 2868, in 1 year yo u will have payed 6258 just in insurance for the srt...that just sounds insane man that makes me cringe...

granted area is a huge part of it. But ive never had full coverage insurance on new vehicles or even street bikes cost that much. Only my vehicle insurance by the way. no house or multiple policy stuff.

And i was under the impression that you could order your car with the stages? is that not true?
what do you mean? that srt already have stage 1 from the previous owner

that sucks! but at least you know what you are looking at. keep your eyes open for other SRTs and shop around for better rates. the last minute "no warranty" thing sounds shady. good thing you had to walk away from that ride; you might of driven two feet and the tranny would blow up.
man it really does suck because it was on my mind for the past 2 days and when i actually drove it fixed today it was a beast, very very powerful car. and yeah but according to the mopar paper that i saw, stage 1 does cancel out the warranty. i am just so disappointed man. the insurance is unbelievable.

#4 ·
granted area is a huge part of it. But ive never had full coverage insurance on new vehicles or even street bikes cost that much. Only my vehicle insurance by the way. no house or multiple policy stuff.

And i was under the impression that you could order your car with the stages? is that not true?

#5 ·
that sucks! but at least you know what you are looking at. keep your eyes open for other SRTs and shop around for better rates. the last minute "no warranty" thing sounds shady. good thing you had to walk away from that ride; you might of driven two feet and the tranny would blow up.

#15 ·
The dealer not giving you a warranty is a scam tactic to get yo uto buy one at 99% margin from them. Online warranties are pretty good. Jsut tell them you'll get the warranty on your own.
If you have the money, buy private. Dealerships are seriously just to suck your cash. Should be illegal to work at one. If you do there should be a theif tatoo across your forehead.
Shop around for insurance.

#16 ·
The dealer not giving you a warranty is a scam tactic to get yo uto buy one at 99% margin from them. Online warranties are pretty good. Jsut tell them you'll get the warranty on your own.
If you have the money, buy private. Dealerships are seriously just to suck your cash. Should be illegal to work at one. If you do there should be a theif tatoo across your forehead.
Shop around for insurance.
i think it would be hilarious to get theif tattooed on their foreheads.

its spelled "thief"

#23 · (Edited)
1MEANSRT - where did you get your quote from? Have you shopped around for insurance rates? I pay $458 every 6 months for full cov., or $76 a month through Progressive Insurance.

When I bought my 03 Yamaha R6 brand new off the showroom floor I didnt shop around first for insurance rates. I rode the bike home and then started calling companies. I called Geico 1st, and they quoted me $5009 for 1 year of coverage. Not only that, the policy required that I choose 3 months of the year that I couldnt have coverage because Washington isnt considered a winter riding state. I damn near hit the floor when the lady told me that. I for sure thought I was going to have to sell the bike for a $$$ loss. I then called Progressive, and get this, $32 a month for the same coverage I was quoted for at Geico. I signed up for the policy and havent looked back. I did call the lady back at Geico and ask her how in the hell do they have any clients with the rates they charge. She didnt believe me that Progressive gave me a rate like I got. I took a picture of the policy with my phone and sent it to her email, and she damn near hit the floor when she opened the picture. She asked me if it was real.lol She couldnt explain why they wanted to charge me so much.

CLIFF NOTES: Shop around

#26 ·
basically because of insurance costs and a last minute warranty cancellation from the dealer...was at the dealer ready to finalize and when i called up insurance i was blown away..i did not even consider the insurance costs...here are my 2 questions.

1. would you buy an '05 srt with 62,000 AS IS? dealer said they can't give me even a 30 day warranty because vehicle has stage 1 kit which voids the warranty and is not even LEGAL.....

Not necessarily, depending on the dealer, some will still perform warranty work even with stage kits...I know mine does. My dealer told me as long as they can't find that a performance part was the root cause of a problem it's still covered. (which is the right way to go about it IMO)

2. how does everyone deal with the insurance situation? I am 20, clean record NJ, and was quoted $396 every month....at that rate the insurance payments would equal the car in 2 years. . .

Your basically screwed unless to can get a cosign. If I remember correctly the SRT4, EVO, and STI are the most expensive cars to insure.

i seriously can't see how this is even possible, i am really bummed in a way but whatever. thanks everyone.
Good luck.

#29 ·
904 every 6 months.Check what kind of coverage your getting. I got 15k coverage tops, 500-1000 deductible, no roadside assistance, and I put down that I only drive like 6k miles a year. Def. Helped! I am 21, clean record and I ve had my license since I was 16 when I first bought the car I was paying 220 a month.

#30 ·
Might want to call around and ask how much the difference would be if you had multiple vehicles. During my young and dumb days I picked up too many tickets. I was able to insure two cars cheaper then one. Buy a beater and claim it as your daily driver.

#32 ·
thanks everyone...i am NOT ready to give up on this yet...i was talking to an insurance agent and i got a very good idea but it requires some work...

1. are the guys that are paying $100-200 a month for insurance, are your cars paid off? because that is the only way you can pay that low by choosing not to get collision and comprehensive? from what i heard by the companies the collision on these cars is what is so expensive

#33 ·
i pay 90$ a month for full coverage and have been since i purchased the car in 04.
And i live in the drunk driving capital of the world. Make sure you only drive it 3 miles to work and back each day and thats it. Wink wink. Its parked in a locked locked garage at night right? :) I have farm bureau, but geico was the second cheapest...

#34 ·
The reason why your insurance is quoted so high is because of you age and liability. The best thing you can do is get a beater car and claim the srt as your secondary car. Srt falls under sports car catagory for most insurance which is why it's so expensive. If you move your liability to a beater car and just get minimum insurance on that you'll actually see a decrease in your total insurance quote. That's exactly what I had to do with mine. I saved $450 every 6 months. My insurance is very reasonable now. (SRT has full coverage.)

#35 ·
the one and only way that my rates would go down according to an agent is that the car needs to be paid in full and then i don't get comprehensive and collision...that is taking a risk but i would take that risk. or put very minimum insurance but the key is that it needs to be paid off because while its financed the dealer requires full coverage which i clearly cant.

#44 ·
if you bought the car from a private owner does the same rule apply?

#36 ·
buy an srt swapped neon, i seen a few around here and there but you will have dirt cheap insurance and the look and power of an srt or u can keep it a sleeper your choice but you'll probably save in the long run, i wish i had done that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.