Dodge SRT Forum banner

Horsepower gains~Race Fuel vs. E85 vs. W/M injection

39K views 169 replies 29 participants last post by  D-SRT 
#1 ·
Lets say with stock turbo with bolt ons, and a BWS or big turbo with bolt ons and supporting mods, all with appropriate tuning. Not considering the plus and minus of each, or whats available in your area, price, safety, or anything else. Just the dirt on actual HP gains with each of these formats...The more I research I cant make heads or tails of which setup is the king POWER WISE ONLY...

#3 ·
Devils own claims 10~15% increase. I have researched here race fuel around 10% increase. E85 is all over the map...I thought meth was the least, and if you actually get 15% that would beat race fuel. E85 who knows there are some outlandish HP numbers being posted in various threads here...So not so much about how much HP you will gain, but the % increase over whatever mods and HP you have!

#6 ·
I understand...Lets use my car as an example then 'cause I am trying to acheive the best results for my setup! 03 PT GT...E1...3 bars, 650CC injectors...Stage 1 PCM...DSP...PCM control...Duster tune...3 inch catless...Ported exhaust manifold...CAI...Plan on running 20 PSI...Now either 100 octane Turbo Blue with tune...Devil's own 3 bar progressive and tune...E85 with larger injectors and tune...I know there are still a few more variables but take a stab on the most power for my situation...I appreciate your expert opinion Tuner everytime you reply!

#11 ·
If E85 is available, use E85.

If E85 is not available, either you w/i or race gas.

That simple. All your thinking about is power. If you really just want to make the most power then just buy drums of Q16 and end this thread.
^^^^this

#16 · (Edited)
Here's a discussion email from Nigel when I was going to switch from e85 to 110.

"I don't quote power numbers due to the huge variables from dyno to dyno. But, I can tell you E85 will make more power then 110 easily. On larger turbo setup it can potentially allow you to make close to 100 more WHP, or even more on more extreme setups, on E85 compared to 110."

#21 ·
It all comes down to preference.Realtune seems to prefer gas as does DCR, Nigel seems to prefer ethanol.

#23 ·
I heard about Shell URT (Unleaded Racing Technology?) about a year ago...I think its rated at about 110Oct and they claim it performs better than c16. But I don't know if any SRTs that have tried it. I was going to test it, but never got a chance to.

Posting on the go with a broken screen...ignore the typos.

#28 ·
1st off you cannot compare 100 octane to E85. In general terms e85 = 110 oct.

E85 has an advantage over 110 oct because it seems to allow more aggressive timing advances than 110.

THE BIGGEST ADVANTAGE OF E85 IS THE PRICE!! It's hard to beat $3:50 a gal compared to whatever the price of 110 oct race fuel is now-a-days.

My car picked up 30whp just from switching from 93 octane to E85. NOTHING else was changed.

The biggest disadvantage of water/meth injection is that you need yet another mechanical device to depend on. Also, your mixture needs to stay consistent to get consistent results.

In the end, if price is no issue than run C16!!!

#35 ·
I still dont fully understand the octane ratings. There's MON, RON, and the (R+M)/2 that you see at the pump (e85 being 94-96 under the R+M rule). C16 is 117 octane, yet pump e85 makes very similar power numbers. It really is something i want explained. If the octane rating numbers are important, then why is something rated so low, capable of so much timing advance and power?

I've googled the hell out of octane ratings and ethanol to try and understand why it acts like it does.

#36 ·
ethanol burns cooler and faster

#40 ·
your kind of missing the point... When it comes to Octane ratings ethanol is in a different class than pump or race gas due to its burn rate

#42 ·
Viper- You need ~30% more because its ethanol....not gas. And E85 has excellent cooling properties + higher octane that allows it to compete power wise with C16.

I'm on my phone otherwise I'd write more...but if you wanna run 1 of the three options for Max power, run E85....it will make way more power over 100oct or pump/100% meth mix.

I would run E85 if it was convenient for me....its not so I run pump/meth with no problems and great power.

I've also run MS109 and C16 in both my SRT4 and WRX with no I'll effects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.