Dodge SRT Forum banner

Bosch Plug wires

14K views 31 replies 18 participants last post by  mole' 
#1 ·
Has anyone used the bosch spark plug wires that autozone or murrays carries? Just wondering if someone has tried these and what they think of them. thanks

#3 · (Edited)
My car was hesitating normal driving once in awhile not all the time but around 10 vacuum and i put those bosch wires in and that was back in April 10th this year. So for about 3 months i havnt had a problem since yesterday the same thing started happening again, so i tested the ohms in the wires, only 1 came out with a really high reading so i have a lifetime warranty on these wires so i got a new set from murrays and when i got home i checked the ohms and one of them read pretty high too. so i just said screw it and i put them in and drove around for about 15 min and no problems, but it was kind of an on and off problem, i wont really know for sure if its ok until i drive the car for a few days.

Do you know what the correct ohms are supposed to be for these wires? i got .37, .38, .40, and 20.32. My stock ones that i switched in the first place were 3.07, 3.25, 3,03, and 3.29. Can some one tell me the if these sound off at all, the setting on my mulit-meter is at 20k ohms.

#4 ·
I just replaced my plug wires with Bosch from AutoZone and one of them keeps coming off of the plug. I push it down and it rises back up slowly, disconnecting.
Is it possible that the rubber at the end that fits onto the plug needs to be trimmed a little?

#5 · (Edited)
Bosch Premium wires are very good.
Thick insulation, durable boots, spiral stainless conductor with reasonably low resistance. Price and availablitiy are good also.

The last two cars I tuned, both had a ignition mis and needed wires and we replaced their MSD with Bosch and it fixed them right up.

The last set I ohmed out were in the 900-1200ohm range.

#7 · (Edited)
Here's the best part about that link
Magnecor claim that low OHM resistance wires are not a measure of quality
I agree 1000%. Too many kids buy junk wires just becuase of an advertised low ohm.
The voltage output to the plug from a wire with 100ohm vs one with a 500ohm is barely worth anything in terms of actual performance.

I'd take a reliable 1000ohm wire any day.

#8 ·
I was able to push pretty hard and get the loose wire to snap onto the plug.
Didn't have to do that with the others though. Going to take one of the other wires and put it in the same hole to see what happens. If it pops onto the plug without a lot of pressure then I'll know it's he wire and will return them.

#12 ·
If you're not constantly datalogging the car you have no idea if you are in fact having issues. You also have no idea if you're slowly degrading the electronics in your car or not.

Solid core wires are not for use in cars with electronics. Granatteli coils are ok (not as good as OEM coils, but ok), Granatteli wires are not ok.

#13 ·
If you're having issues with the wires staying on the plugs also make sure you are putting a coat of dielectric grease in the boots. This will help keep moisture out and also eases with installation and allows the boots to slip over the plugs and towers on the coil easier.

The only minor issue I've noted with most of the common plug wires is the earlier Magnocor wires that I run that were from the older 2.4L applications where the upper part of the boot is a little thicker and if you run the slightly shorter Champion 570 plugs requires some extra care to ensure they click onto the plugs (a little silicone dielectric grease on the outside of the boot also helps). Once on I've had no problems with the wires coming off. Whatever wire you're running make sure you're pinching the boot/wire and slightly twist them while pushing down and ensure they click onto the plug.

As for the Bosch wires, I've known a couple people that have run them when they needed a wire right away and didn't have time to order anything else. They've held up well and if they still offer a lifetime warranty, should something happen to the wires you can swap them out. Most of the wires failures come from damage to the internal terminals when people don't pinch and twist the boot and wire together to break it free and from pulling on just the wire to remove. With the heat and vibration if you got five years out of a wire before the internal core degraded and the terminals held up fine to frequent plug wire changes over that time I'd say you'd have found a decent wire.

#19 ·
If you're having issues with the wires staying on the plugs also make sure you are putting a coat of dielectric grease in the boots. This will help keep moisture out and also eases with installation and allows the boots to slip over the plugs and towers on the coil easier.
I keep a large tube of dielectric grease(~$10) in my tool box and encourage everyone to have some in hand.

Add a dab whenever you remove either end of the plug wire.

#15 ·
That would be a ferrite core and I wouldn't trust one to suppress noise and EMF/RFI from the amount of voltage stepped up on the secondary side of the ignition coil. I'd personally never run a solid conductor core wire on a modern, fuel injected engine or vehicle with heavy electronic and computer systems and would never recommend it when there are other great choices of plug wires available.

#17 ·
The wires are all fitting fine now and they came with some dielectric grease on both ends. Plus as mentioned they come with the warranty in case anything ever happens to them :thumbsup:

#20 ·
just got some today, my msds went out, other than them not quit reaching the top of the plugs very good, im happy with them, im even gonna boil them or cut them down. I run a shorter spark plug, thats why :/ any who, anyone hear of boiling the boot so you can push the clip down closer the the plug?

#21 ·
I tried to boil a set of MSD's, I couldnt get the clip to move. That is when I tossed them in the garage and bought the set of bosche, which if I remember right, carry a lifetime warranty.

If the clip doesnt reach the plug, cutting them down wont help. That only helps if the clip is too far down and causing the top cover on the wires not to seal around the plug tubes on the head cover

#23 ·
i swap my Bosch wires out every time i change the plugs.Whether they need it or not. It's free. What's not to like about a lifetime warranty? :thumbsup:

#25 · (Edited)
Have been running the BOSCH wires for almost a year and I am happy with them.

Can't prove if they improve or decrease performance as I would have to dyno with the BOSCH plugs and then another brand to see if there was any difference. Not something I am willing to do!

I used to run the MOPAR blue performance plug wires and they were great (At least they looked great!) :rofl:

Came out last Spring after a few cold nights and car was only running on 3 cylinders.

Opened the hood and saw something had gnawed right through one of my wires! :wah?!:

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.