Dodge SRT Forum banner

Help: replaced PCV valve, still whiteish smoke after a hard pull

9K views 18 replies 3 participants last post by  Tripl3black_SRT-4 
#1 ·
so after i make a hard pull, my car always pours out a decent amount of smoke a few seconds afterward. doesnt really do it much after a 2nd gear pull, but after a 3rd gear pull it pours out quite a bit, and it smells something fierce :stab: i know its not coolant because my coolant level always stays the same, and these fumes smell like burning oil. im thinking that either my turbo seals are going, or maybe the head gasket. my car has a stock turbo, only 49,000 miles. what do you guys think it is? btw this problem is non-existent under normal and somewhat spirited driving conditions

#4 ·
oh did u check your oil to see if its a tad frothy?

You might have been building boost in your case & that can blow seals or cause blown head gaskets (white smoke) especially after a hard pull.

#5 ·
the oil in the catch can is really creamy and light, but i heard its like that in the winter months. last time i changed my oil (a month ago) looked fine, plain, black, runny lol. but on the valve cover, isnt it ok to cap that nipple going to the intake? i have it capped on the cover and on the intake. is this ok?

#9 ·
yea I guess but u gottathink thats just pushing more air back into the case when your under boost if u don't have a check valve.

I have never seen oil in a catch can creamy in my car even in winter ( just checked it again) It may happen idk just in my experiences. White smoke is generally coolant burning up, could be other things but generally coolant(blown headgasket, cracked block etc) if its happening right after a hard pull you probably have a worn headgasket. Thats not always the case though. You said you don't lose any coolant?

Have you checked the resevoir fill line or just take off the cap on the thermostat housing? Because it pulls/pushes coolant when it needs it.

Check your oil dipstick see what the oil looks like. Drain some of your coolant and look if there's oil in it(it will be colory rainbow shit u know what I mean ifbu ever see it spilled on the floor)

I had these same symptoms In my prelude and sure enough it was a blown headgasket!

#10 ·
yea I guess but u gottathink thats just pushing more air back into the case when your under boost if u don't have a check valve.

I have never seen oil in a catch can creamy in my car even in winter ( just checked it again) It may happen idk just in my experiences. White smoke is generally coolant burning up, could be other things but generally coolant(blown headgasket, cracked block etc) if its happening right after a hard pull you probably have a worn headgasket. Thats not always the case though. You said you don't lose any coolant?

Have you checked the resevoir fill line or just take off the cap on the thermostat housing? Because it pulls/pushes coolant when it needs it.

Check your oil dipstick see what the oil looks like. Drain some of your coolant and look if there's oil in it(it will be colory rainbow shit u know what I mean ifbu ever see it spilled on the floor)

I had these same symptoms In my prelude and sure enough it was a blown headgasket!
The bold is dumb. the PCV Valve is a check valve. So it is not pushing any boost into your engine. People run check valves just incase your catch can is leaking or a hose, etc. But the pcv valve is closed when under boost.

The milky oil in the catch can is completly normal. Water with synthetic does that.

#15 ·
ok i fixed the capped off nipple on the intake/valve cover. i put a straight piece of hose in between them, as it came from the factory. what gets me is this guy makes and tunes 50 trim kits for our cars, fuel return line kits, etc etc etc... what the f***!!! though! that always seemed weird b.c. i knew it was a vent of some sort. wow. well my car never burned anything before this happened. now with this hose in place, if i still have smoke coming from my pipes after a pull, then someone is gunna get a nice little visit from me :)

#17 ·
well as for me, problem fixed. i can pull as hard as i want now, no more smoke or burning smell! also, i now boost 2 to 3 psi higher (it dropped after he installed my exhaust stuff) and my car no longer makes this squeaking noise it using to make while the motor was running. i think the username for the shop is Eric@VictoryRacing. very nice guy (mark installed my stuff) and great pricing and im sure hes smart, prob just mixed this up with something else. glad i didnt lose my motor. thanks for the help too guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.